Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

susiequsie

Gluten Free/casein Free Books?

Within the past 7 or 8 months I've gone gluten free. I did fine for a while , then finally realized that dairy was a problem, too. I've bought 4 different books on gluten-free. So many of the recipes include milk in them.

I'm questioning the Rice Dream milk as a substitute since I'm not sure yet whether it bothers me or not, but my real question is: are there any books that would contain recipes for both problems? It sure would make it a lot easier.

Thanks for your help.

I would stay away from the Rice Dream Milk. There are a lot of recent posts on here about that product and how it does contain gluten in it (it is below the amount to post it on the label from what I understand).

There is Almond Milk (Pacific Natural Foods is good), some people like Hemp Milk (I haven't tried it yet) and if you don't have a problem with Soy there is that sub as well.

I have substitutued with Almond Milk and it has come out nice or nicer then regular milk (if you don't have a problem with almonds).

I have a couple favorite cookbooks that I use a lot. I got the one below but haven't had time yet to try it out. It has a lot of good info in it.

Cooking Free by Carol Fenster, Ph. D.

It was suggested on this site a while ago by a couple of people that seemed to really like it.

It is really nice b/c it will have a picture at the top of each recipe showing you if it is Dairy Free, Egg Free, Sugar Free and Gluten Free (all are gluten free). Some of the recipies will be in there two times one with dairy in it and then repeated again on the next page without say dairy and eggs.

It has a recipe for Nut Milk, Rice Milk and nice section on condiments so you can make dairy free sour cream, mustard etc.

You might want to check out your local library and see what books they have that you can check out or look at to see if you like or your local book store. I live in a smaller town so I will do this sometimes and then order then online cheaper. If you look at a.m.a.z.o.n some of the cookbooks you can see some of the pages inside which is nice.

GOOD LUCK!

Have you checked barnes and noble? I've seen a bunch there...you should look at their online store (plus they have free shipping on most things). I have one called The Gluten Free Vegan...just got it so havent tried anything out yet.

I would stay away from the Rice Dream Milk. There are a lot of recent posts on here about that product and how it does contain gluten in it (it is below the amount to post it on the label from what I understand).

There is Almond Milk (Pacific Natural Foods is good), some people like Hemp Milk (I haven't tried it yet) and if you don't have a problem with Soy there is that sub as well.

I have substitutued with Almond Milk and it has come out nice or nicer then regular milk (if you don't have a problem with almonds).

I have a couple favorite cookbooks that I use a lot. I got the one below but haven't had time yet to try it out. It has a lot of good info in it.

Cooking Free by Carol Fenster, Ph. D.

It was suggested on this site a while ago by a couple of people that seemed to really like it.

It is really nice b/c it will have a picture at the top of each recipe showing you if it is Dairy Free, Egg Free, Sugar Free and Gluten Free (all are gluten free). Some of the recipies will be in there two times one with dairy in it and then repeated again on the next page without say dairy and eggs.

It has a recipe for Nut Milk, Rice Milk and nice section on condiments so you can make dairy free sour cream, mustard etc.

You might want to check out your local library and see what books they have that you can check out or look at to see if you like or your local book store. I live in a smaller town so I will do this sometimes and then order then online cheaper. If you look at a.m.a.z.o.n some of the cookbooks you can see some of the pages inside which is nice.

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks so much for your helpful advice. I went ahead and looked on (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) for the book you mentioned and saw some others, too. I will order from them.

I've not yet tried soy milk even though I can buy it here. I haven't been able to try the almond milk because noone sells it here locally. Even in a town 35 miles away, I couldn't find it either. I see what you mean about the Rice Dream and was just using it for cooking occasionally. I will stop that. Thanks for your help.

Have you checked barnes and noble? I've seen a bunch there...you should look at their online store (plus they have free shipping on most things). I have one called The Gluten Free Vegan...just got it so havent tried anything out yet.

I will check the Barnes & Noble online store--nothing like that near where I live. I appreciate your helpfulness.