This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ener-g

kannne

kannne Explorer

Hi

Here in norway there is no real glutenfree bread, most of the bread contains wheat starch.

I have found out that I can order bread from Ener-G.

Ener-G High Fibre White Loaf

Ener-G Flax Loaf

Ener-G Raisin Loaf

Ener-G Rice Loaf (Yeast Free)

Ener-G Six Flour Loaf

Ener-g Tapioca Bread gluten Free

Does some if this bread taste good? Or ar they very "dry" and fall apart?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

I like the tapioca bread out of all of those. It does tend to be a bit dry, but I find that toasting it or microwaving it slightly helps with that. Then I add lots of butter or other condiments. The good news is, it travels very well.

lbd Rookie

Ugh, Ener-G bread is pretty awful, unless you like sawdust and bricks :P

You might look into Enjoy Life bread or even Glutino. They are marginally better.

On the Karina's Kitchen weblog, she has a recipe for bread that is very easy - it is one of the latest blogs on her site. (Sorry I don't have the link - blogs are blocked here at work). I made it the other day, subbed flax, buckwheat, and amaranth for the millet flour (which I didn't have). It made a nice ciabbata style bread in an 8-inch cake pan. It tasted great and has stayed nice and moist for three days. I used it for a sandwich on the second day and it was very good!

I also like Chebe products if you can find them. They make a nice chewy bread.

Other than that, I have lost most of my taste for bread products which amazes me because I loved bread in the past. I really don't miss it now, but do like the occasional treat.

Laurie

Juliebove Rising Star

They make some that my daughter prefers but they're not on that list. Of those listed, she does like the tapioca. To serve it, she likes it put in the microwave until it is very hot to the touch. Makes it much softer.

Jeremiah Apprentice

Tapicoca Bread is the best, but it must be toasted.

brigala Explorer

If you're going to mail-order something from the states, I'd strongly recommend a bread mix rather than a loaf of bread. Or a recipe, if you don't want to order mixes.

Gluten-free bread is actually EASIER to make than gluten bread. It's not any harder than making a cake, or cookies. All you really need is a good sturdy mixer. I use a Bosch, which I'm sure you can get over there. It's made in Germany, I believe. I love-love-love it.

I've been relying pretty heavily on the Bob's Red Mill Wonderful Homemade Bread Mix. I have some in the oven right now, in fact.

I have yet to find a store-bought bread that's worth eating, let alone spending $4+ per loaf for.

The Bob's Red Mill mix costs between $4 and $5, and it makes me 2 loaves of bread (my bread pans are slightly smaller than the one recommended on the package, so if I try to make one loaf it comes out pretty weird).

I want to try the Gluten Free Pantry bread mix, too. After that, I think I'll start experimenting with recipes.

kannne Explorer

gluten-free bread is not easier to make and gluten bread.

I do not work as a baker but I make a lot of Gluten-free Casein-free bread for my friends. I get orders off 10 bread at a time so I bake a lot off them.

But I don't agree that its easyer.. I have found a good recipes that usuly works but it havent been easy. The bread want rise, its raw inside ++ We dont have so much flour mixes in my country as you have in the US.

I visited US last year and went to a small healthstore. And it felt like I was in heaven. I have never seen so much gluten-free food at one place. So many bread, coocikes, flour mixes, pasta ++ It took me over 1 hour before I drew back to the hotell. I bought som rice bread that tasted very good.

The reason I ask off the ener-G bread is that its a bit easyer to take travel with. Beacuse its wrapped in plastic and hold much longer. My bread fall apart if they ar older then 4 days, and it not always easy to find gluten-free bread. Specilly not in europe because they use wheat starch in it and calls it glutenfree :angry:

I am on SCD diet so I can not eat the bread but Im asking beacause of my friends with autistic kids on Gluten-free Casein-free diet.

Maybe I will order som of the bread so the kids can try them. If they like them it good but I dont now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

My kids like the raisin bread if it's toasted and they like the tapioca bread made into grilled sandwiches.

Archived