This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thinking I Might Be Gluten Intolerant

TeaLover

TeaLover Newbie

Hi everyone. I am a 31 year old female who just yesterday realized that I might have problems with gluten intolerance.

I was making a seitan loaf from scratch (pretty much pure wheat gluten), and just breathing in a small amount of the "dust" of the flour, I started to feel woozy. Then as I was kneading the dough, my hands started to burn and itch, but there was no rash. The rest of the evening I felt achy, itchy, and "foggy" in the head.

Today I still have body aches in my abdomen and ribcage area, like I've been pummelled in a fight. I also realized that in the past when I'd eat really chewy bread, my mouth would get sore as an immediate reaction, and I couldn't continue eating. I have always had problems with dry skin, rashes, my mouth and gums being sore with certain foods. I feel like I might now just be putting two and two together.

I am thinking about seeing my doctor tomorrow for a test to check for this intolerance. Do these symptoms sound like gluten intolerance to anyone? I've also lost 15 pounds in the past few months without really trying hard, and my hemoglobin has been low for a few years now, even when I'm eating well.

Thanks in advance!

TL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

With that kind of immediate reaction it sounds like you might have a true allergy. That happens when you develop IgE antibodies to a particular substance and it causes your body to release histamine... which is what causes the itching, rashes, woozy feeling, etc...

Gluten intolerance is also a "hypersensitivity disorder," but the reactions take longer to appear (a day or two). When your body is intolerant to a substance it makes IgA, IgG, or IgM antibodies. These don't release histamine, but they do mess up the balance of your body's immune system... which is how many autoimmune disorders get started.

The tricky thing is that you can be allergic AND intolerant to the same foods. So... I think it's a great idea to ask your doctor about celiac disease and get the blood test, but you probably want to see an allergist too. Even if one or both tests come back negative, you still might want to give the gluten-free diet a try. Testing is not perfect. ;)

TeaLover Newbie

Thank you MOJ! I will look into an allergist. I appreciate your insight!

Archived