burkev

Need Fine Tuning Baking Advice...

Rate this topic

Howdy:

I made a batch of Chebe dinner rolls with cheese and it turned out fair. Taste was good, followed directions to the "T", but the rolls never got any bigger than the size they were when I put them in the oven ...average was large Walnut size....inside was good texture..it "ate" well, but the exterior was rock hard.

This was my first time making rolls and my expectation was that the roll exterior would be smooth and shiny......didn't happen. Perhaps my expectations are too high , I can't fault the manufacturer, the taste was good .

I'm also desiring a nice italian beef sandwhich...any suggestion for one that is as close to a regular italian roll / sub roll??

thanks! kevin

I make chebe rolls all the time, but I have never made them with cheese so that may be different. My rolls always puff up nicely, they puff a lot less when I use frozen dough though. I find the exterior gets too hard when they are cooked too long. I just make mine with eggs, oil and water and I think they taste fantastic.

Chebe is finicky. Even if you make it properly it's still not going to puff up much. I have found that you have to measure the wet ingredients exactly. Just being a little too wet or dry can make it inedible. I've also found that over kneading can make it gummy inside. As the previous poster said over cooking can make it rock hard. I mix it with a fork until it just comes together and then I knead it a few times and press it out with my fingers. I also don't have much luck with their all purpose mix. The breadstick and pizza mixes do a better job of puffing up. Hope this helps!

thanks for the help!! I'll double check everything and see how it turns out. It seems that all the best results come from recipes that involve multiple raw ingredients instead of a pre mix.

thanks, kevin

thanks for the help!! I'll double check everything and see how it turns out. It seems that all the best results come from recipes that involve multiple raw ingredients instead of a pre mix.

thanks, kevin

I actually LOVE the Chebe rolls, with cheese, with the crispy outsides. The package suggests for a lighter end product, add one tsp baking powder to dry ingredients. It really does work. I've never had a batch of Chebe fail, and I've gone through many cases. They're also REALLLLLY good if you roll them out with a rolling pin and bake them as crackers, they taste like Cheezits.

soooo...after trying it again I'm finding out that a gas oven turns out a better product than an electric one . I made a batch of the "chebe cinnamon roll mix but turned them into fruit turnovers ...used kumquat jam, orange / pinneapple preserve, and a canned apple cranberry filling. EXCELLENT results

Looked and tasted great......and "ate" very well. Next time I'm making an egg wash or icing for them too give it a better eye" appeal

thanks for your help!

kevin

The package suggests for a lighter end product, add one tsp baking powder to dry ingredients. It really does work.

I add a full tablespoon and they come out really great!