This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long Before Height/bone Age Is Caught Up?

CMWeaver

CMWeaver Apprentice

I have twin daughters who are 4. In November, we presented the same old information to the ped as before. Failure to gain weight despite a full diet, dark circles, frequent bowel movements, etc. Her bone age x-ray showed that of a 2y6m and she was days short of her 4th birthday. Biopsy showed celiac and we've been gluten-free ever since 12/04.

Since the beginning of December, she's gained about 5.5 lbs. I am so glad! I know that is progress. However, i don't see any increase in height. Our GI made it seem so easy.....height and weight will come back on the gluten-free diet....life will be good.

I know all children are different. However, if any of your celiac children had a delayed bone age x-ray.....what were you told about height. It's good to see her gaining weight but hard to see her being towered by other kids in her class.

Just looking for a bit of insight.

Thanks in advance!

Christine

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest ajlauer

OMG = 5.5 lbs since December? that is soooo awesome!!! Your posting brought tears to my eyes. My daughter will be 4 in June, but she's in the 2nd percentile for weight. She's almost too tall for size 2T pants - but still has no belly (or butt, as hubby would say) to hold the pants up! She hasn't had a bone age test - I didn't know that existed! She was recently food allergy tested, to confirm my suspicions of an egg allergy. She tested positive for corn, eggs, pnuts, wheat, rye, barley, and oats. The allergist didn't test for celiacs (immediately dismissed the idea because she has no diarreah that I know of). Gonna be awhile before we get back to the regular pediatrician - althought they said they would test for celiac disease if the allergist didn't. I don't think she gained 5 pounds in all of last year. I would love if she could gain 5.5 in just a few months! That would be so amazing! *envy* I'm so happy for you! The height should come eventually, I would think. Gotta start somewhere. hehe. *hugs*

PS: Just read your post again before posting my reply. I was told my daughter's dark circles were from seasonal allergies, but the Claritin syrup isn't making a difference with that. Does celiac disease commonly cause the circles too???

celiac3270 Collaborator
PS: Just read your post again before posting my reply. I was told my daughter's dark circles were from seasonal allergies, but the Claritin syrup isn't making a difference with that. Does celiac disease commonly cause the circles too???

Around the eyes, I assume? Yes.

Guest taweavmo3

No one has mentioned bone scans to me either! The GI doctor hasn't said anything specifically about when to expect a growth spurt. Honestly, he just told me to check out this website and get a few books, and follow up in 3 months. We have only been on the diet 3 weeks, but in that short amount of time, I can tell Emmie has put on a little weight. She hasn't grown yet though, that's what I'm really anxious for. She still looks like she is about 18 months old! Clothes shopping for her is hard, she is in size 12-18 months pants, and 3T shirts because of her big belly. Now that summer is coming up, we can go with dresses, which are much easier!

Oh, and ajlauer......my daughter has the dark circles too. Now that we've started the diet, they have finally started to fade. If I'm not mistaken, aren't they caused by anemia? She is also finally starting to get color in her cheeks, which is so nice to see! Good luck with testing....I would definately get her checked for celiac disease.

jmj0803 Apprentice

Christine-

My daughter had a bone age of 3.9yrs at 6.4yrs. My daughter also has hypothyroidism(this does affect height growth)as well as celiac disease. Our doctors told me it could take up to two years for her to catch up in both height and weight b/c of celiac disease. Has your daughter's thyroid levels been checked? This could or could not be related.

ashlee's mom Rookie

My daughter had her bone age test done when she was almost 4 and it showed she was just over a year behind I believe. At the time we were taking her to an endocrinologist to check for growth hormone since no one thought it was possible to be celiac disease. She was actually diagnosed about 6 months later though. She has been gluten-free a year now and has gained about 12 lbs and grown 3-3/4 inches. I remember that the weight did come back before I saw anything in height. I think the body has to build back up a bit so the growth is a bit slower. She is now just over the 50th percentile for weight, but still just barely over the 10th for height. Everyone tells me it just takes time and she will catch up. 2 years seems reasonable, I hope she is caught up that soon!

Michelle

• 1 month later...
aili Newbie

hi, i just thought i'd bump up this thread because i have the same question.

my daughter has just started gluten-free diet. she's 3.5 and has always maintained a -5% to 5% spot on the charts since she was 3 months. She hasn't gained any weight in the past year nor height in the past 8 months.

She was a former preemie so had been told that that was the problem.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest BellyTimber

:rolleyes:

It's not a direct answer but this reminds me that my mum (84 and unburdening herself of her past) reminded me she and Dad had been in trouble for supposedly not feeding me and a sibling properly. We were obviously very emaciated (I was fed up with the remarks of other kids) but put on weight because we were always putting on height.

Is it standard to congratulate children on gaining height as if it was a good piece of work on their part? I'm trying to figure out whether the fuss was what would have been usual, or not.

We were told cabbage, and custard would make us taller and also make our hair grow (only to be cut). Cabbage and custard are among my favourite foods still.

She did tell me this story before, but only now I realise I have to keep on going gluten-free do I see the significance in all that. It was because of gaining weight that I was not classified as "failure to thrive" and thereby missed out on intervention if there was any in those days.

I filled out in my early 30s on strong drink!

Hoping for continually improving health for you & yours,

Archived