• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

JULIA-BOSTON

Weezing And Nasty Cough

Rate this topic

MY SON WAS DIAGONESED WITH CELIAC AT 1 YEAR OLD. HE NOW IS 2 BUT IS STILL NOT ABLE TO TELL US IF HIS TUMMY HURTS. SO WE ARE NOT SURE IF HE HAS EATEN SOMTHING WITH GLUTEN IN IT. THE ONLY SYMTOM IS THAT HE STARTS TO WEEZ AND GETS A NASTY COUGH. HE HASN'T GONE OUT AND DON'T KNOW WHY AND WHERE HE WOULD OF GOTTEN THIS COUGH. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A CHILD THAT GETS THESE SYMTOMS FROM EATING GLUTEN?

WORRIED MOM

It sounds like he may also have a gluten allergy. Has he been anywhere where there may have been wheat flour floating around in the air? That's the first thing that popped in my mind, I'm sure others will have suggestions. Hope he feels better soon!

edit: Have you had him checked for asthma? The wheezing and the coughing sound very much like asthma, and if he's allergic to gluten, that could be aggravating it. Again, just my thoughts.

MY SON WAS DIAGONESED WITH CELIAC AT 1 YEAR OLD. HE NOW IS 2 BUT IS STILL NOT ABLE TO TELL US IF HIS TUMMY HURTS. SO WE ARE NOT SURE IF HE HAS EATEN SOMTHING WITH GLUTEN IN IT. THE ONLY SYMTOM IS THAT HE STARTS TO WEEZ AND GETS A NASTY COUGH. HE HASN'T GONE OUT AND DON'T KNOW WHY AND WHERE HE WOULD OF GOTTEN THIS COUGH. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A CHILD THAT GETS THESE SYMTOMS FROM EATING GLUTEN?

WORRIED MOM

Hi,

My daughter was diagnosed a year ago at 18mos. She gets what the pediatrician calls 'reactive airways' when she gets the slightest runny nose. She wheezes and gets awful sounding cough which we treat with asthma meds but it also clears up very quickly (making me think it is not viral or bacterial).

The reason I'm responding is that she had it this week plus diarrhea and irritability making me think they're related.

The pediatrician is not convinced (she also misdiagnosed the celiac) and says that my daughter is 'allowed to get sick' as well as have celiac disease. I have an appointment coming up at the Center for Celiac research at Univ Maryland so I plan on asking them too.

Hope this helps, anyone else cough/wheeze with a gluten exposure?

Claire

Hi,

My daughter was diagnosed a year ago at 18mos. She gets what the pediatrician calls 'reactive airways' when she gets the slightest runny nose. She wheezes and gets awful sounding cough which we treat with asthma meds but it also clears up very quickly (making me think it is not viral or bacterial).

The reason I'm responding is that she had it this week plus diarrhea and irritability making me think they're related.

The pediatrician is not convinced (she also misdiagnosed the celiac) and says that my daughter is 'allowed to get sick' as well as have celiac disease. I have an appointment coming up at the Center for Celiac research at Univ Maryland so I plan on asking them too.

Claire

Hi,

Claire

Thank you for responding. We are at the pediatrician very other week with a runny rose, wheezing and nasty cough from october to april. I am convinced he is eating gluten at day care. my pediatrican also says it's not from eating gluten. the cough get worse 5 minutes right after he eats and takes 2-3 days to pass his system. We use the nebulizer if the wheezing gets bad and if helps slightly. The other sign is that we wants to lay on his tummy and get angry if we move him to another position. he will also stop eating and i think it's becuase he still

associates pain with food during the time his wheezing and cough starts.

Thank you for responding. We are at the pediatrician very other week with a runny rose, wheezing and nasty cough from october to april. I am convinced he is eating gluten at day care. my pediatrican also says it's not from eating gluten. the cough get worse 5 minutes right after he eats and takes 2-3 days to pass his system. We use the nebulizer if the wheezing gets bad and if helps slightly. The other sign is that we wants to lay on his tummy and get angry if we move him to another position. he will also stop eating and i think it's becuase he still

has he been allergy tested as well? if it's seasonal with winter, my first guess here is allergy-aggrivated asthma.

(RAD - restrictive airway disease - is ideopathic, without a diagnosis of an underlying cause. asthma is one potential underlying cause, but asthma tests are generally unreliable in very young children.)

The symptoms sound just like my daughter's. Also from October to April, there has been an improvement this year but I think just because she is older (couple of ER visits last winter before celiac diagnosis).

Another reason I doubt the asthma diagnosis is because the nebulizer helps a little but not as much as it should, she coughs before, during and after. I also doubt that it's a cold virus because no-one else in the house gets sick.

Anyway, I'm convinced it's celiac related and I'm planning to start my list of questions for our appointment at Univ MD.

Hope this helps..

Claire