Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GFqueen17

Do Apples Make Anyone Else Constipated?

hhmmm...for me, apples is the one thing that settles my stomach. but i am sure it is different for everybody.

Does it truly make you constipated?

I have found that sometimes apples make me bloated cause of the fiber, but never constipated. In the past I have confused bloating with constipation.

or is my body just weird?

Apples are high in fructose, so you could be fructose intolerant. There is a breath test you can have to diagnose this.

If it's just apples that cause the C, then maybe just avoid apples?:)

I'd be interested in that breath test. I believe I am allergic to fructose... I get eczema like symptoms from most any fruit except lemons...

Bea

my spouse's mother always said apple or banana could help your bowels 'slow down' after an upset stomache, so you may not be alone!

Where/how is this breath test available? And yes I will simply avoid apples from now on..i rarely have them anyway..i just wanted to try the apple pie larabar the other day.

babysteps, nice to know im not alone!

Where/how is this breath test available? And yes I will simply avoid apples from now on..i rarely have them anyway..i just wanted to try the apple pie larabar the other day.

babysteps, nice to know im not alone!

There's a lot of information on hydrogen breath testing here: http://www.medicinenet.com/hydrogen_breath_test/article.htm

You fast for 12 hours, then they measure the hydrogen levels in your breath over a period of time, while having you ingest small amounts of fructose (it can also be used to test for lactose intolerance in which case they'd give you lactose).

I know that here in Australia you can arrange the testing through your doctor or a registered dietician, but not sure in US.