This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Disease And Gluten Intolerant?

glutenfreegirl

glutenfreegirl Enthusiast

Hi there I am confussed I was told my son and I where not celeiac based on our blood test so we contiunue eatting gluten....however not feel any better and had been following a vegan lifestyle for over 2 years found out I was serverely deficient in protein not to say all vegans are of course but I was clearly not doinf it properly and eatting large amount of carbs...Hmm still feeling realy bad ND suggested I try eat right for your blood type which states for my blood type I eat NO gluten and few serving of grains a week if necessary, lots of greens, fruits and lean organic if possible animal protein. So I gave it a shot and wow with in a few days my energy was back my anxiety was disappearing my hair was shiney again and my sadness had lifted,,,so was it the gluten or the protein I think it was the two together...what do you think? so if my blood work says no celeic disease my ND say there are many false psoitives and she hates the test for that reason she beleives I am very gluten intolerant and recommends the entrolab test so we can see to what degree what does this all mean? can anyone help and why is gluten/celiac such a hard sell to people I find people kind of give you that oh brother look when you say gluten intolerant why? this board seem to be the only place along with my ND that takes it very seriously why does the outside world not?

Sorry for so many questions but if it is making so many people ill with so many differnt symptoms why are so many people making my son and I feel like we are crazy....family included (husband and my mom are supportive) but extended family may I add italians who love their pasta...say i am starving my kids and myself and thatis why we are alwasy tired and ill...thanks for the support it seem like peopel are not interested in knowing more about this why??? again thanks for listing I am so frustrated with the way gluten intolerance/celiac is handled I really do beleive alot of poeple think it is all in our heads!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

There have been some pretty heated threads about this ;)

Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder that results in damage to the villi in your intestines. The cure is to stop eating gluten... pretty neat, because this is the only autoimmune disorder with a cure! And the cure is free! No drugs, no surgeries.

Celiac disease is one form of gluten intolerance. What a lot of people don't know (including doctors) is that reactions to gluten can damage a LOT more than your intestines... it depends on your genes. People with DQ7, for example, are susceptible to thyroid disorders. DQ5 and DQ6 are associated with neurological damage (migraines, seizures, MS, ADHD). DQ9 is associated with rheumatoid arthritis. Gluten is part of the problem... a lot of people see improvements on a gluten-free diet. Other triggers may be involved too such as dairy, soy, corn, pollen, mold, hormones, viruses, etc... There's a lot of research that needs to be done :)

If you feel better without gluten in your diet, then stick with it! Grains are NOT needed for a healthy diet. Your family might back off when they see you getting better... it just takes time.

Jestgar Rising Star
What a lot of people don't know (including doctors) is that reactions to gluten can damage a LOT more than your intestines... it depends on your genes. People with DQ7, for example, are susceptible to thyroid disorders. DQ5 and DQ6 are associated with neurological damage (migraines, seizures, MS, ADHD). DQ9 is associated with rheumatoid arthritis.

I'm gonna ask you to cite your sources for these.

sbj Rookie
why is gluten/celiac such a hard sell to people I find people kind of give you that oh brother look when you say gluten intolerant why? this board seem to be the only place along with my ND that takes it very seriously why does the outside world not? . . . I am so frustrated with the way gluten intolerance/celiac is handled I really do beleive alot of poeple think it is all in our heads!!!!

I'm one of those who think that gluten intolerance and celiac disease are entirely different things but I don't want to post about that. I want to offer some sincere advice with regards to your issue with people not taking seriously your apparent gluten intolerance. I think you should stop caring so much about what other people think. I think you should recognize that by not eating gluten you are going against the norm. I think you should spend more time justifying to your own self your own decisions for going gluten free, then it wouldn't matter so much to you that others don't take gluten intoloerance seriously:

Open Original Shared Link

"A LOT of people
purple Community Regular

My 2 cents says, when you know the right thing to do, b/c your body is telling you, then that is the answer. So it must be that the others are wrong but only b/c they don't know the truth. If they were celiac their body would tell them the truth and then they would understand.

So meanwhile, be understanding of where they are coming from, then do the best you can to avoid a confrontation with them. Meanwhile gather info you can give them but don't try to make them "get it". Give them time. Could be they are scared. Many people don't care about others problems unless it has happened to them. Closed eyes and ears means closed minds. Opened eyes and ears means opened minds.

glutenfreegirl Enthusiast

WOW thankyou all for such great eye opening advice I wil take all of it and put it in to action

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast
I'm gonna ask you to cite your sources for these.

Here's an article from Scott Adams (on celiac.com) about other autoimmune disorders that have been linked to celiac disease:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/108/1/Celia...ease/Page1.html

Here's an overview of HLA-DQ genetics:

You can also look at the signatures of people like "ravenwoodglass" to get an idea of the widespread damage that can be caused by gluten and the possibility of recovery.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star
Here's an article from Scott Adams (on celiac.com) about other autoimmune disorders that have been linked to celiac disease:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/108/1/Celia...ease/Page1.html

Here's an overview of HLA-DQ genetics:

You can also look at the signatures of people like "ravenwoodglass" to get an idea of the widespread damage that can be caused by gluten and the possibility of recovery.

Thanks!

rinne Apprentice

Denial. :lol:

Seriously, I know a lot of people who don't feel well who will never change their diets.

One friend has arthritis that is so severe her hands are beginning to twist and becoming deformed, she knows white sugar is bad for her but she says she has to have a teaspoon five or six times a day in her coffee. She is on medication for her arthritis which is causing her other problems. Actually, sadly, I don't even know if I can call her a friend anymore because since I changed my diet and have begun to get better I haven't seen her.

But, perhaps I just became too obnoxious, too focused on healthy food. :lol: I think she knows I think she should try gluten free and it irritates her.

She is married to someone with Crohn's who has never investigated whether diet would help him or not!

Archived