This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

You Want To Read This!

Guest DawterAod

Guest DawterAod

Pill to end all our troubles is closer than you think..

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Dare we hope??? :rolleyes:

I honestly believe a cure is on the way.....

Thanks for sharing!

Karen

minivanmama0300 Newbie

WOW!!!!!

Thanks for posting that. I guess I assumed that a pill or treatment would come from overseas since it is more widely understood there. I would bet that it would be at least 10-15 years after it is approved there before we would have approval for it here. Still, that is great news.

Jess

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Thanks for posting :D

I'm skeptical about having a pill to be able to eat gluten..it would be nice but how would it stop the damage and so forth. My body would still recognize gluten and then go to attacking my intestines. I hope they do come up with something and they has been so much progress being made.

plantime Contributor

Ending intestinal permeability does not stop my body from attacking the gluten. I think maybe it will end some of my food allergies, but not enough for me to be willing to take a pill every time I eat, or even just once a day, for something I can control by watching what I eat.

phakephur Apprentice

I'm ambivalent about the prospect of such a pill hitting the market. At present, celiacs who take their condition seriously accept the zero tolerance policy regarding gluten in their diet and thus present a united front to food manufacturers. I believe that the introduction of a drug to mitigate or eliminate symptoms of the disease will spit the celiac community into two camps - those who are willing to take a pill and those who are not. My fear is that the availability of a "cure" will diminish the availablility of gluten free products for people who don't want to take the drug.

Would everybody on this forum be willing to take this pill?

I might be willing to take it for travel or special eating out occasions, but probably not before every meal. I'd still like to have gluten-free options available.

Sarah

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I think that I most likely would not take it. I might take it for special occasions or cravings. I would need a golden guarantee that it was working, not just masking symptoms and still causing damage. Also, I would imagine that it would be very expensive (like most prescriptions). I would rather not spend extra money when Celiac disease can be controlled by eating the right foods.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

I think I saw a similar article about a month ago about the diabetes/celiac pill. I thought I posted it here?

I'm also skeptical...and I would not take that pill for a long, long time...until I found out that others weren't getting sick on it, that there were no terrible side effects found years later, and that damage wasn't being done. I now feel like I can control this, so I don't think a pill would be...necessary. Besides which, this is healthier...even if I'd rather be able to eat real pizza, etc.

Another thing that concerns me, though, is that companies will care less and less about providing good information about what's gluten-free and what isn't since the gluten-free diet would be...dropped by many celiacs. We're making strides towards better labeling :), but I'd hate for it to be reversed by this pill--because not all of us want to take risks.

phakephur Apprentice

Well said, celiac3270. That's exactly what I was getting at.

Sarah

That is an EXCELLENT point celiac3270..... I never thought of that......

Maybe the only way that wouldn't happen is if the pill doesn't come out on the market for 10 - 15 years, and by that time, proper labelling will be so widespread and mainstream that the manufacturers won't bother returning to the "old ways"...

Karen

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yeah that would be a definate problem I think. I would not be taking the pill I know that. I would not do that for a long long time after they have it.

Just like people with allergies have epi pens...to stop the reaction...not to cure the allergy....I am very very skeptical of a pill somehow stopping damage to my intestines and would not risk damage to my body for gluten. I'm fine with what I eat now...and it's a much healthier way 2 :D

Maybe it would be useful as a kind of "morning after" pill for accidents :huh: to minimize the effects of a gluten slip up.... that would be quite useful.....

Karen

celiac3270 Collaborator
Maybe it would be useful as a kind of "morning after" pill for accidents :huh: to minimize the effects of a gluten slip up.... that would be quite useful.....

Karen

Yes--that's something we could all appreciate :D

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yeah something to help with accidental ingestions of gluten would be very much appreciated :D

Guest BellyTimber

""There is no cure and sufferers can't eat foods that contain gluten, including pasta, bread, breakfast cereals, pastries, salad dressings and most sauces and condiments.

Professor Harrison said there was a good chance researchers will develop a treatment that allows people with coeliac disease and diabetes to give up their restrictive diets.

"The only real reservation is that it's only been tested in rats," Dr Anderson said

... Institute of Medical Research - its mission being

Guest BellyTimber

I believe there are already remedies that do this.

Anything to widen the choice of them is very good :D

But that doesn't justify all those exaggerated and unfounded allegations about what we are doing for ourselves.

M.

Guest BellyTimber

Ah! It might work quite well with some young children, however any of its possible benefits wil completely pass by the majority of people who have untypical celiac disease symptoms - in the UK the figure being talked of now is about 1 person in 30 - because they will not be recognised as people to give the pill to.

Surely the gluten-free way of life will continue to be the mainstay of recovery for large numbers of people.

M.

(too much replying - sorry) :D

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

For some reason all this stuff really pisses me off. (A pill to help the pain of accidental injest would be good) Am I the only one? Our diet isn't too hard or even that restrictive and almost all of us follow it and are happy and healthy. Why spend all this money on a pill that they are testing on RATS who DO NOT even get this disease? This is an Aussie one but there are others.

I am happy not eating gluten.

I am just stating my saddness at all of this and not picking on anyone who would like the pill.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I am happy with not eating gluten as well :D

It would be cool if they made a pill to help with accidental gluten intake but I don't like the idea of popping a pill and all the problems are gone...I just don't buy it at this point.

I understand exactly where you are coming from Kristina

celiac3270 Collaborator

I agree...and completely understand where you're coming from, Kristina.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Even if the pill would work 100%. It doesn't matter. I think, if you say: 'Oh, I would only take this pill, if I know 100% that it's safe.' than this is just the wrong attitude. Safe or not safe. In case of intentionally eating glutenfood I wouldn't take it at all. Because I might as well not eat gluten containing food. OK, when you have a pill for accidentaly ingesting gluten and take it afterwards. That's a whole other story. But beforehand and eat gluten containing food on purpose? No way. It's about how you handle your body and health. If there's a problem, just pop a pill and get rid of it? That's not how it should be. A pill should always be the last possible solution and if there is no other way. And in our case mostly there is another way. Don't eat gluten!

astyanax Rookie

i probably would stay gluten-free just out of sheer paranoia haha but still it would be cool if you could just take a pill before awkward social situations like a business lunch or a wedding etc. so you didn't have to explain and worry about the food!

Guest DawterAod

Haha, lovin the 'GxF' in your sig.

Guest nini

Popping a pill just so I could eat gluten? That's just insane. I'm concerned it would just mask symptoms and like others of you mentioned that it might lead to less food choices for those of us who don't want to take a pill. Why take a pill when this can be controlled with diet? I eat so much healthier than even my dr's...

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

That's the other thing. You maybe don't know, if it works for sure or if it's only masking the symptoms. But even if we would know 100%, that it's not masking the symptoms, I wouldn't take the pill, unless I accidentaly ate gluten. Like an afterwards thing. And I really hope, that our food choices don't shrink, when such a pill comes out.

Archived