Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sillyken

My Bread Won't Rise

:blink: I have a toastmaster breadmachine and I love it. I have been trying out a new recipe from Betty Hagmans book Comfort Foods. It is a bread recipe using teff flower. The problem is I use white vinegar instead of dough enhancer and I'm using red star yeast and the bread won't rise. any ideas why?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Rapid rise will work more quickly, but it should still rise even if you aren't using rapid rise. There are two or three likely problems here;

1- Are you using the right amount of sugar? Without sugar the bread won't rise.

2- Are you using warm water? Cold water will slow the yeast to the point where it won't do anything, and hot water will kill the yeast. Also, store the rising bread in a warm place (I put mine on the top of the oven as it's preheating)

3- How old is the yeast you are using? If it is more than a year or two, throw it out and get some fresh yeast.

Hopefully these ideas will help.

Thanks for the advice.

1) the recipe only calls for a pinch of sugar maybe for the breadmachine I'll need more.

2) I am using a bread machine and the water is warm

3) I used packets of yeast that had not been opened.

Could the other problem be that the recipe is for oven baking and not breadmachines. If so how do you adjust the recipe for the breadmachine? Any suggestions?

The yeast can go bad even if it isn't opened, if it is old.

The problem could also be that most bread machines are programmed for 2 risings, as with normal bread the yeast will cause a first rise which the bread machine will then "punch down" with a second kneeding and then allow a second rise to take place.

Gluten-free bread does not support the second rise well, so if you can program your bread machine for only one rising this might improve your results. If you can't program your bread machine for only one rising, then you might want to sprinkle in a little more sugar after the first rise while the second kneeding is taking place.

Try proofing your yeast in water with whatever sugar is called for. If the yeast foams, it is good and will work in your recipe. You might try storing your yeast in the refrig to keep it fresher. I have had yeast stay active for a year or more by keeping it cold.

If bread doesn't rise, try omitting some of the flour called for until the second rise. A thinner bread will rise faster. Once the yeast gets going through the dough, it's easier to get the second rise to work. Two rising cycles make a better bread IMO since it allows the yeast to activate more throughly throughout the flour particles. Just set aside about a third of the dry ingredients and add them in after the second rise. I don't use a brad machine so I don't know how difficult it would be to 'catch' the bread during the second rise.

I have not had any difficulties with using a second rise in my bread machine. It works fine. In a couple of my recipes, I have to add an extra half tsp of yeast. I buy it in bulk, so that is not a problem for me.

I have also found that buttermilk instead of water makes a softer bread that rises better.

If your dough is too stiff, add a little more liquid. This is especially important with the gluten-free flours. The dough needs to not stand up in a ball as it kneads, but flow around the paddle more like a really stiff cake batter.