Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

parkerrmmc

Can Celiacs Eat Corn?

Hello! My son is suspect to have celiac disease and I have been feeding him alot of corn on the cob (since that's one of the only things I can get him to eat). I was recently told by someone that it is typically thought to be gluten-free, but is NOT gluten-free. I knew all of you would know for sure.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Why wouldn't it be gluten-free? Unless there were spices or flavorings somehow added, I don't see why it wouldn't be. Unless someone is referring to corn gluten, which is perfectly harmless--it's simply the protein in corn, but it causes absolutely no damage to celiacs. We use the term gluten referring to the gluten in wheat, barley, rye, etc. but there are other forms of gluten, such as corn, that are harmless.

I have never heard of corn on the cobb not being gluten-free but hopefully Richard will "weigh in" with his expert opinion soon...

If you are feeding him frozen, check the label.

-Kate

Yes, celiac3270 is right. Corn is glutenfree unless there are gluten containing spices and flavorings added.

Plain old corn is absolutley, positively gluten-free. Corn with butter on it is gluten-free. Corn with butter and salt is gluten-free.

richard

Yeah everyone who posted is correct corn is gluten free. There is such things as corn gluten but that is ok for celiacs because it is corn so maybe they got confused. We can't have wheat,rye,barley,oats. Unless there is a seasoning added that is not gluten free then you shouldn't worry.