This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mcdonald's?

watkinson

watkinson Apprentice

I'm sure those of you who have been on this board forever, are sick of this question, but I just don't get it and need some answers.

McDonald's was under fire a couple years ago when it was discovered that their fries which had been labeled as Gluten Free and Vegetarian, were found to contain both wheat and beef derivitives. I thought it was all worked out and that they changed the oil which was the culprit. Meanwhile...I've been getting their fries every now and then. Now however, I went to the Mcdonalds.com site and it states that they will not longer have a gluten free list, that they want us to check their ingredient list as it may change. The ingredients for their fries states that the oil contains wheat. Does anyone know the definitive answer....are they Gluten free or not?

Thanks, Wendy :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

There is a small amount of wheat and beef added to the fries during processing. However, the fries have been evaluated by the CSA and found to have no detectable levels of gluten in them:

Open Original Shared Link

Some of us eat them and others don't so it's really all about your comfort level. Cross contamination is probably the biggest concern at a fast food joint.

Felidae Enthusiast

In Canada there is no beef or wheat added. Here is the link:

Lisa Mentor
There is a small amount of wheat and beef added to the fries during processing. However, the fries have been evaluated by the CSA and found to have no detectable levels of gluten in them:

Some of us eat them and others don't so it's really all about your comfort level. Cross contamination is probably the biggest concern at a fast food joint.

Ditto on this answer! ;)

MNBeth Explorer
There is a small amount of wheat and beef added to the fries during processing.

I really don't think it's accurate to say that there is "wheat" added to the fries. If a product contains grain alcohol, we don't say that it "has grain added to it." What McDonald's uses are flavorings that are *derived from* wheat, and, I believe, milk. A small quantity of the flavoring is added to the oil in which the fries are cooked.

About the rest, I totally agree. As I understand it, gluten is barely detectable in the flavoring itself. By the time it's been diluted by the vast quantity of oil and the fries get cooked, the gluten is no longer detectable at all. I'm definitely one of those that is more concerned about CC than the flavorings in the oil, but I have no criticism for anyone that feels the fries are not to be trusted.

munkee41182 Explorer

My husband looked up the ingredients and saw that there was the word 'wheat' in the ingredients. He wouldn't let me eat them. I was PO'd.

Are any other fast food chain french fries ok? BK...wendy's???

hermitgirl Contributor

The only fries I am comfortable eating are Chick Fil A's as they clearly state the gluten free status on their website, and I have yet to find a location that does not have a dedicated fryer for the fries.

I have gotten sick from other fast food potato products so just stick with what is in writing from the compaines. It is all personal levels of comfort and sensitivity.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larry mac Enthusiast
I really don't think it's accurate to say that there is "wheat" added to the fries. If a product contains grain alcohol, we don't say that it "has grain added to it." What McDonald's uses are flavorings that are *derived from* wheat, and, I believe, milk. A small quantity of the flavoring is added to the oil in which the fries are cooked.

About the rest, I totally agree. As I understand it, gluten is barely detectable in the flavoring itself. By the time it's been diluted by the vast quantity of oil and the fries get cooked, the gluten is no longer detectable at all. I'm definitely one of those that is more concerned about CC than the flavorings in the oil, but I have no criticism for anyone that feels the fries are not to be trusted.

Great point Beth, and well put.

best regards, lm

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

My apologies. It was a poorly worded response. Here are the ingredients from the March 12, 2009 US Ingredient statement:

French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*), citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

happygirl Collaborator
I'm sure those of you who have been on this board forever, are sick of this question, but I just don't get it and need some answers.

I don't think anyone is sick of the question - that would be like people being sick of listing the tests for Celiac, or helping with safe restaurants, etc. :)

Some have frustration with people posting misinformation, esp on this topic, often to newly diagnosed Celiacs.

Juliebove Rising Star

You couldn't pay me to eat at McDonalds. First they said the fries were vegetarian when in fact there is or was beef in there. Then they didn't disclose not only the wheat but the milk. What else will they not tell us?

Tica Apprentice

From what I understand, the McDonald's and Wedny's fries are fried in the same oil as the breaded chicken and nuggets. Only BK uses a separate fryer for their breaded items. Chik-fil-a is the only place that will actually list their fries as gluten-free.

Darn210 Enthusiast
From what I understand, the McDonald's and Wedny's fries are fried in the same oil as the breaded chicken and nuggets. Only BK uses a separate fryer for their breaded items. Chik-fil-a is the only place that will actually list their fries as gluten-free.

Not true . . . McDonalds has dedicated fryers. Most Wendy's do to. It never hurts to verify though when going to a new location.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Actually, the oposite is true. The vast majority of McDonald's locations (some exceptions are the tiny ones in museums and gas stations - ask at those locations) use dedicated fryers for their fries. Every Wendy's is different, so one would need to inquire at each one. There are 2 Wendy's near me - one has a dedicated fryer and one does not.

Burger king does not have dedicated fryers. Demonstrated by the loose onion ring that so often ends up in the french fries.

Themystro1 Newbie

Just came across this thread. Thought it was quite appropriate being that I just got an attack eating fries at McDonalds. I emailed them wondering what the heck happened-

Here is there response:

//

Thanks for your interest in McDonald's menu.

McDonald's no longer maintains a list of products that are considered gluten free. We do, however, provide extensive nutrition and ingredient information for our nationally offered menu product on our website. We update the information on our website (Open Original Shared Link) frequently as we receive new information from our product suppliers. We encourage you to read our ingredient statements and make personal decisions that meet your specific dietary needs.

Again, thank you for contacting McDonald's and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Kayla

McDonald's Customer Response Center

ref#:5876761

//

Brilliant huh??? McDonalds and Taco Bell, Jack-in-the-Box are all on my do-not-eat list. Still sticking with In-and-Out and El Pollo, Boston Market, Koo-Koo-Roo as my quick-eateries.....

I am really afraid to go to Carls, Wendy's and BK... any success with them?

Thanks!

Tim-n-VA Contributor
I am really afraid to go to Carls, Wendy's and BK... any success with them?

At Wendy's all I have is the baked potato and chili. I've never had a problem. When I couldn't find anything else, I had a grilled chicken salad at Burger King with no problem.

lizard00 Enthusiast

I eat Wendy's chili when I have to do fast food on the road. I've not had a problem with it. As another poster pointed out, some have dedicated fryers and some don't, so if I'm in a fry mood I always ask. The last Wendy's I went to had dedicated fryers and it was fine. In the beginning of my celiac journey I wasn't so lucky <_<

• 2 weeks later...
laurac Newbie

I am in Bridgewater, Mass and know the opposite to be true here. McDonald's has a dedicated fryer and BK does not. Wendy's fries are gluten-free but the local restaurants here do not use a dedicated fryer. I think the bottom line is that there is not consistency from place to place and that it is important to inquire each time to be sure.

Salax Contributor

Becarefull with El Pollo, I read somewhere online that only the whole chicken and beans are gluten-free, suprising since they offer corn tortillas and rice...both of those were not on the gluten-free side of the menu....I don't know if that was accurate, but I stayed away. :)

Another place that has gluten-free/CF Fries is Fat Burger, I ate some the other day after looking up the info on their website and I was fine.

Best of luck!

Archived