pogirl1786

Depression

Rate this topic

hi there, i'm 17 and i was told i might have celiac disease and to go gluten free about three or four months ago. most of the pain and problems have eased a bit, except for a few bad days here and there. i have felt a lot better since getting off the gluten and on my good days, i feel better than normal. however, there are still some days when i get somewhat depressed. i think some of it has been related to stress and some to unintentional gluten intake. i was wondering if anyone else has the same problem i do with feeling down sometimes. my mom wanted to ask my doctor about muscle relaxers or depression pills, but i really don't want to do that. so i wonder if other people deal with the same depression i am dealing with, or if it is just me. any feedback would be appreciated. thanks :)

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Hi! This is my first time on the forum. My son was about 1 1/2 when we first learned that he was a celiac. He is 36 now and in very good health. He had a period of time when he was in his 20s that we think the celiac went into remission, or at least he didn't seem to be too bothered with digestive symptoms. When he was diagnosed, (1971) there was little known about the problem. He was so sick and the doctors didn't know what was wrong, but he responded to a gluten free diet. Back then, there were very little resources to learn the new way of cooking. (we didn't have computers to share knowledge) Only option was rice flour.

Seveal years ago, his rocky marriage terminated and he told me that one of the main complaints from the spouse was that he was frequently withdrawn/depressed. I think the stressfull time brought back the celiac with a vengence. I have read articles regarding episodes of depression in celiacs. I really believe that depression is a problem that is a part of the many symptoms. There is materials available on the web and the ScottFree newsletter is good also. It can be a bit technical....but worth checking out. Just being informed and knowing that it is something to be expected can help. (Pamela's chocolate cookies help) Best of luck to you. Being a teenager is challenge enough in today's world, without adding a special diet in the mix......

IMHO it is depressing to find out that for the rest of your life you will have to eat differently than most of your friends and family. Don't misunderstand me...I am relieved to know what is wrong and to know that by changing what I eat I can stop being so sick all the time!!

It does cause other changes in our lives though and being depressed as we learn to cope with them is not unusual. We can no longer be as spontaneous about grabbing something to eat if we are out with friends. We can't go away over night without making specific plans concerning what there will be to eat and what we need to take with us. I am not saying that is the worse thing to have to deal with but it is nevertheless something we must learn to cope with.

I have only been diagnosed for 39 days (but who's counting :lol: ) and am still learning a lot from people here. One thing I have done to make being spontaneous a little easier is that I keep a small box of goodies in my car that I can eat. I have so coconut macaroons, a small can of tuna and some crackers and some little creamers that do not require refrigeration. I am a big coffee drinker but can't always drink whatever creamer is available. These few things mean that I am able to join my friends socially if they decide to stop somewhere for a bite. There is usually something that I can have but if not I have my own.

Learning little things like this to help us cope with whatever aspect of the diet we find requires the most adjustment does help deal with the depression. I personally think they will benefit you more than medication unless you are clically depressed which is another matter.

I don't know if I have been any help but please don't be discouraged and give yourself time to learn the diet and to get used to it. If you feel like sitting down and crying because you can't go have pizza at Pizza Hut with your friends then do it!! I did. I think it helped! Then I learned how to make my own crust and make my own pizzas which are even better. ;)

Keep talking to us here too. We care and we understand.

pogirl,

I was diagnosed when I was 15, at that time I was suffering from wicked depression. I was put on depression medication before going gluten free. I saw a profound difference once being gluten free for awhile. I even got off my meds (I hated relying on medication). Now after 8 years gluten free I haven't taked medication 5 years. I still have my days but I think that's just being human not just having Celiac. In those instances (usually in the winter) I usually try to do something to preoccupy me. I know exactly how you feel and you not alone!! It's nice to talk about it, but you don't always feel like talking either!! Good Luck and feel free to email me at JsBaby_G@hotmail.com!! ;)

Hi... this is my first post here but I wanted to write and say that you are definately not alone in feeling depressed. This was one of the major symptoms (in addition to worsening stomach problems) that made me finally try the diet in the first place (I have some family history of celiac, so I thought it would be worth an attempt). Now a few months into it I can't even believe the difference it has made in my mood / ability to deal with the world. I have to say too, that even minor accidental ingestion does have a large impact on my mood, and this, more than the stomach problems, helps keep me on track with the diet.

So be kind to yourself in this difficult time, know you're not alone, and try to learn all you can, as it will only help you be as healthy as you can be. And (advice worth repeating from my gluten-free mom) do your best to be patient, keep in mind as well that just like you didn't get sick overnight, it takes time to heal as well and most people keep getting a little better every day for many months into the process. Best wishes.

Ads by Google:

hi there, i'm 17 and i was told i might have celiac disease and to go gluten free about three or four months ago. most of the pain and problems have eased a bit, except for a few bad days here and there. i have felt a lot better since getting off the gluten and on my good days, i feel better than normal. however, there are still some days when i get somewhat depressed. i think some of it has been related to stress and some to unintentional gluten intake. i was wondering if anyone else has the same problem i do with feeling down sometimes. my mom wanted to ask my doctor about muscle relaxers or depression pills, but i really don't want to do that. so i wonder if other people deal with the same depression i am dealing with, or if it is just me. any feedback would be appreciated. thanks :)

The medical advice is not to adopt a gluten free diet (GFD) until & unless you have been diagnosed (usually by biopsy/gastroscopy) with Coeliac (celiac) disease (celiac disease).

There may be other reasons why a person has symptoms which are associated with celiac disease so it is best to be quite sure celiac disease is the correct diagnosis.

I know it sounds hard but if you have not been properly diagnosed with celiac disease you should go back on a normal diet & have a blood test & biopsy to make sure you do have celiac disease.

It is not unusual to have depression with any physical illness and some people with celiac disease do have depression.

You have to obviously be careful, if you have been diagnosed with depression, to make sure any medication you may be prescribed for the depression is gluten-free if you have celiac disease.

It seems best if you go to your doctor to explain your situation.

There is no point in you going on GFD if you do not have celiac disease but if you do have celiac disease you need to be on a suitable gluten-free medication if you are diagnosed with depression.

If you are diagnosed with celiac disease you should join your local Coeliac Society where I think you will get a lot of support and advice.

One thought is that if you were having depression like issues before going gluten-free, simply changing your diet may not be enough to stop that pattern. (And if it makes you feel any better, try looking up "dysthymia" - it's a very mild, but longer-term form of depression that usually doesn't actively interfere with life, just makes it not as happy as it would otherwise be.)

Some things to try, to avoid the medication route (as suggested to me by my doctor, my therapist, and my research):

* the whole healthy diet thing - lay off the sugary snacks and the like (chances are, you've already got this one in the bag :-) )

* exercise - I know it's a chicken and egg thing. when you're already feeling down you don't have the motivation to get exercise, but the endorphins released by exercise are well known to battle mild depression and lift your mood, but it does need to be done regularly

* sunshine! - get outside and get a bit of sunshine everyday, some people are more sensitive to this than others, but it does help

* psychotherapy (talk therapy) - this is helpful for a lot of people, particularly cognitive therapy and behavior modification (not just talking for talking's sake)

* get pleny of sleep, and don't force yourself to stay awake when you're tired

As far as medication goes, don't forget that depression (and milder forms of it), can be caused by an imbalance of chemicals in the brain. Particularly of serotonin, which is one that I recall reading is impacted by gluten ingestion by a celiac. St. John's Wort has had numerous peer-reviewed published studies about its effectiveness in treating mild depression (mild ONLY!), and there are other prescription antidepressants that are relatively mild and can be taken in very small doses. Of course, though, I totally understand not wanting to take meds, and I'm opting not to when I might otherwise be a candidate myself. ;-)

Guest Blackheartedwolf

I was just diagnosed last month with celiac disease. I am 29 yrs old, and have suffered from on and off depression since I was a teen. I have been on Zoloft, and it has helped a lot. I have not been on the gluten-free diet long enough to see if the depression goes away. I have only been gluten-free since Feb 23rd. My depression seemed to manifest mostly with irritability. As a teen, I hated almost everyone, and my family couldn't say a word to me without me getting angry and irritated at them.

Last May I started to have digestive problems, and my doctor couldn't figure out why I had chronic diarrhea. My depression came on full force soon after, and I was even irritated at my dog. Just him being in view annoyed me, and I was nasty to my husband. I was always angry. Zoloft has helped me so much, and now that I know what the cause of my digestive problems, I look forwa

Guest Blackheartedwolf

I was just diagnosed last month with celiac disease. I am 29 yrs old, and have suffered from on and off depression since I was a teen. I have been on Zoloft, and it has helped a lot. I have not been on the gluten-free diet long enough to see if the depression goes away. I have only been gluten-free since Feb 23rd. My depression seemed to manifest mostly with irritability. As a teen, I hated almost everyone, and my family couldn't say a word to me without me getting angry and irritated at them.

Last May I started to have digestive problems, and my doctor couldn't figure out why I had chronic diarrhea. My depression came on full force soon after, and I was even irritated at my dog. Just him being in view annoyed me, and I was nasty to my husband. I was always angry. My doctor didn't put two and two together until I described a DH outbreak / rash. I thought I had developed an allergy to my Zoloft. She switched me to Paxil, and later I got a light case of DH. So I knew it wasn't the Zoloft. When that happened, I had a feeling that I was a Celiac, and sure enough, I am!

Zoloft has helped me so much, and now that I know what the cause of my digestive problems, I look forward to getting better now that I am gluten-free.

I always thought I was depressive until I went gluten-free and suddenly I was happy all the time. When I told my mom that I really thought the two things were linked, she didn't want to believe me. She did come around when she read some things that supported what I said, but it's still nice to see that I have company in this.

Ads by Google:

My husband, undiagnosed celiac for 28 years, had been depressed to the point of wanting to end it all. The depression went on for several years. He cannot take anti depressants due to severe side effects. Then was diagnosed celiac disease last Fall 03 - and we notice that the depresssion is lifting - not all the way but somewhat. Dr. says the depression goes along with celiac disease due to the chemicals affecting the brain. Didn't know that! Hopefully he'll be getting less and less depressed as the gluten-free diet continues.

Depression is one of the worst side affects of celiac disease for me. Unfortunately, I was not diagnosed with celiac disease until after my marriage fell apart. I went on the diet and my head cleared up.

A gluten accident will send me into a depressed state for at least a full day, sometimes two. It takes me awhile to reckognize it sometimes, usually after I've barked at someone, or I start asking myself "what's the use?" If I'm home on a weekend by myself, if I can't seem to get off the couch and do anything, well, it goes on from there.

The recent article on this site was revealing:

Brain Damage: Untreated Celiacs at Increased Risk of Cerebral Hypoperfusion

The conclusion found at this site is also revealing:

Entrez PubMed

CONCLUSION: There is evidence of regional cerebral blood flow alteration in untreated celiac patients.

Another one on this site:

Depression/Panic Attacks: Recurrent Brief Depression in Celiac Disease

I completely understand where you're coming from. Since I was little, I would go through horrible stages of depression. The whole while our family just assumed it was linked to the fact that my Mom was depressed. Turns out both of us, and 4 of my 5 siblings were diagnosed with Celiac almost 2 years ago. I've found that with the gluten-free diet, I do not have to deal with depression at all, and it is very evident when I have had an "accident" with gluten, because i go back into my depressive mood. I wish you the best of luck with the future. Whether you decide to go and get tested will be a choice you'll have to make, since that would mean going off the gluten-free diet. But in any case, always know that there are those out there who are dealing with the same situations.

I've been on a gluten-free diet for a few years now, although I just found out that I haven't been truly gluten-free b/c I've been eating modified food starch and malt flavoring (I didn't know those were non-gluten-free) anyways, I've also been on anti-depressants for over a year and they've been helping a bit, but I'm hoping that now that I'm taking out those hidden gluten products from my diet that that will help the depression. I've done some research about depression and it seems that depression can be caused by a lack of good nutrition and having celiac makes it so that we're not absorbing the nutrients we need to, so it makes sense that the 2 are related. I haven't had any professional advice about this, but it made sense to me! :) Any thoughts?

Definitely get rid of the malt flavoring but the vast majority of modified food starch is from something other than wheat and therefore gluten-free. When you see MFS as an ingredient, you have to check with the manufacturer before you eat it.

There's no question that untreated or partially treated can lead to depression and other brain problems so it may be you'll get better. On the other hand, there are lots of people with depression who don't have celiac.

richard

I don't see myself as having 'chronic depression', but I do get bummed out fairly frequently by the diet. It's a heavy burden in a world where wheat is basically the king.

We have found that vitamin B12 is the crucial link related to depression with my husband and daughter. They have been on a gluten-free diet for years, but on occassion feel disassociated and depressed. A dose of sublingual B12 has been a 99% consistent cure. They usually feel like themselves within 5 to 30 minutes after taking it.

Another B12 link they have noticed is that their urine goes pale when they fall behind in B12. After taking a few doses it goes back to the normal yellow. So they have used that to help them catch the B12 deficiency before it leads to feeling down.

I would like any feedback about what I'm going through because now I'm really confused. About the time I was told about the possibility of having celiac disease (7 weeks ago), I went off bc pills I'd taken for 19 years. Well I'm having horrible mood swings that come on in an instant. One minute I get a ridiculous e-mail from a client and I'm thankful they can't see my reaction or the'd stop doing business with me. I feel like I could strangle them if I could reach through the computer screen. The next minute a vendor makes the same mistake for the third time and I start crying. Then I compose myself and either call them or e-mail them

a less than nice message. So last night someone I met here metioned some homepathic remedies that helped her when she went through the same thing. I'm going to try and see if I meet with the same success. But if I don't I know I need to take something like Lexapro in a small dose. On the website glutenfreedrugs.com they list Lexapro as gluten-free. But the site is just a list of meds, does anyone know who runs it? And anything else you think would be helpful to me is greatly appreciated. I'm not on the gluten-free diet yet so I'm just guessing that will make me even more upset.

amoorefam - I take a normal B-complex supplement but I just swallow it. Is the sublingual tpye something that is soft and dissolves under your tounge and if so, do you order it or get it at the drug store?