Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Viola

Sinus And Cough

Guest Viola

Hello; I'm recuperating from a bad case of flu and have been left with a head cold and cough. I can't use any of the sprays because of cronic nose bleeds with them. But at the moment I'm having trouble breathing through the nose, and the cough isn't helping. I do have a decongestion tablet, but find if I take many I also end up with a nose bleed.

Can anyone come up with any suggestions to help. Keep in mind we live an hour from town, and I'm really not feeling up to driving in.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

*Hot showers/hot bath (take your time in there, seems to help loosen)

*Pepermints (altoids are gluten-free)

*Vicks Vaporub

*Drink lots of fluids to loosen up mucus

*Eat some spicy food (that always seems to get the nose running)

*hot soup

*hot beverage (tea, hot chocolate)

*heating pad/microwave hot pack on your neck/forhead

Just a few things you can do and things you probably already have at home.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Guest Viola

Hot tea beside me as I sit :P But I'd totally forgotten about good old Vicks Vaporub :o I'm sure I've got a jar around here somewhere. I'm off to look for it ... Thanks you two :D

I came across something a couple of uyears ago that has helped my sinus problem a tremendous amount. Do a Google search for "sinus irrigator". Ther are several types available - The one I bougth is basically a Water-Pik with a special tip to better fit the nostril. The process involves rinsing your nose and sinus cavities with saline. I think it works great, is very gentle on the sensitive mucous membranes, and also provides some moisture that may help those nose bleeds!

Tom

Guest Viola

Thanks Tom, this is the first I've heard of such a thing, but it does sound worth looking into. I've had sinus problems for years, and would love any help I can get. Will check it out on the internet tonight, and check in town when I get a chance to go in. :unsure: Hope I can find one. :)

You can do nasal irrigation without any special instruments (other than a bowl and some salt). You mix up a lukewarm saltwater solution that should have enough salt to make the water taste like tears. You then, carefully!, dunk your nose in the bowl and inhale the water just into your sinuses. It's really hard, the first two or three times, to get over the human habit of not breathing water, but it's also not that hard to do once you get there. You leave it in your sinuses for a few seconds, and then drain it back out (for instance, into a sink).

I found it very helpful, though I'd have to repeat fairly often. (Some health food stores or other alternative type stores carry neti pots, which are specifically designed for this sort of thing as well. It's a long standing practice from India, I believe.)

Viola,

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. My son just woke up with a cold too, being that it is the week-end I can't call the company and was just coming on to post the question, Does anyone know if Afrin Nasal Spray gluten-free? I don't mean to be insensitive by asking it here since you say you can't use it, but I figured we were already on the subject.

Feel better it sounds like some of those remedies might be good ones.

Roo

Guest Viola

I don't mind you asking at all, apparently those sprays are wonderful for those that can use them. :)

All these remedies are very helpful ... I found my old jar of Vicks vapourub and had a little easier time sleeping last night :P Also, lots of hot fluids are helping, both gluten-free soup and teas.

I think I will mix up some salt water and try and use the medicine dropper that I have. It's an eye dropper type thing used to give medication to babies (I use it for my dog). :lol: I disinfect it every time of course.

I hope your son is feeling better soon, it can be miserable.

One thing I should havve added about the sinus irrigator I mentioned - the pulsing action of the saltwater (you make your own, no need to purchase saline solution) helps to loosen the congestion better than just rinsing.

Tom

Sorry to ask the same question again but does any know if Afrin Nasal Spray is gluten-free?

I think my question got lost in the shuffel.

Roo

My doctor put me on Rhineacort(sp?) and I called the company which manufactures it and they can NOT garentee that it is gluten-free. But zantac D which is another thing that I was put on is gluten-free. :)

Shirley- I have horrible Sinusitis and usually i take a decongestant- but if its really horrible sometimes i make a homemade vaporizer. i boil water and hold my head over the boiling water with a towel over my head to trap the steam. This helps me- sometimes, i also find ease taking a very hot bath or shower and the humidity helps me breathe. Best of luck, and feel better!