This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Being Celiac.. Do I Have To Use gluten-free Shampoo And Soap?...

Jamie

Jamie Contributor

Do I have to use gluten-free shampoo, soaps, lotions... anything on my skin... or does this depend on the person and how sever the case is. I use John Frida Sheer blonde. I don't believe this is gluten-free shampoo. Even if I am on a completly gluten-free diet... is this like cheating?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

brigala Explorer
Do I have to use gluten-free shampoo, soaps, lotions... anything on my skin... or does this depend on the person and how sever the case is. I use John Frida Sheer blonde. I don't believe this is gluten-free shampoo. Even if I am on a completly gluten-free diet... is this like cheating?

Most people who are Celiac seem to do ok with regular shampoos and soaps. My sister has to use all gluten-free cosmetics, but I do fine with regular soaps and things that have wheat germ in the ingredients. Watch for anything you might accidentally ingest, such as lip balms, toothpaste, lipsticks, etc.. And don't drink your shampoo! ;)

If you are not getting better, if you suspect that you're getting gluten somewhere and you're not sure where, or if you have an adverse reaction to your cosmetics or soaps, then it's probably a good idea to try switching to gluten-free products to see if it helps.

-Elizabeth

Jamie Contributor

Thanks so much for the in put!

hollyres Explorer

I use gluten free products - just in case. I know that I get my face cream on my lips, as well as shampoo and conditioner can possibly get past my lips, once in a blue moon. I use Dove Sensitive Skin soap and Neutrogena Clean Shampoo & Conditioner. I also use Neutrogena Emulsion Lotion (wonderful) scent free. I know it sounds gross to think of these things going into your mouth, but it is on your hands, water is running down your face, etc... This is my way, but not everyone believes it is an issue. I got sick of thinking, "could it be this, could it be that..."

Gentleheart Enthusiast

This is only my own opinion. Does anyone honestly shower with their mouth tightly shut? Don't most of you eventually know what your shampoo or face soap or lipstick or makeup or lotion "tastes" like whether you intend to get any in your mouth or not? It seems to me that it would always be risky to use any cosmetics that contain something that causes so much havoc in your system if ingested even in small ppm amounts, especially when there are hundreds of alternatives to choose from and you don't really have to use the ones with gluten in them. Just seems unnecessarily risky to me. :)

Archived