This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Endo And Colonoscopy This Week, But Gluten Free...

dizzygrinch

dizzygrinch Enthusiast

Hello all, just thought I would post here. Im suppose to have an endoscopy and colonoscopy this Thursday, unless this problem I have with the paperwork doesnt resolve, but anyway...just wondering if its even worth it? Im gluten free since October, so not sure what they will find if anything. But, Im severaly vitamin d defeciant, my doc seems to think its related to my gut not absorbing the vitamins. does anyone know if something like that is able to be determined by and endo or colonoscopy? btw, I feel 70% better being gluten free, but still, even after taking 50000 iu of vitamin d a week, its rarely showing up on blood tests...weird huh? well, sorry to ramble here...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cat3883 Explorer

I was actually diagnosed by bloodwork and endo in October 2008. My GI says it will take about 2 years for my small intestine to heal completely. So if you have celiac disease it will probably show up in the endo. But it probably wouldnt show up in bloodwork. I actually go back to my GI next month for bloodwork to make sure my numbers have gone down. Good luck to you.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

If a celiac removes gluten from his/her diet, improvement to the villi can be seen in as little as 2 weeks. For some it may take years to heal, but for some it happens much more quickly.

At this point, since you have been gluten-free for 6 months, your biopsy results will most certainly be skewed (presuming you had villi damage to start out with). If the biopsy results are positive, it would be consistent with celiac. But if the results are negative, they do not rule it out. So even if the answer is "no", it can't really be considered a definite "no."

If they are doing the colonoscopy anyway, you can have the endoscopy done because you will be prepped and out. But don't take the findings on villi damage as gospel if they are negative.

Lisa Mentor

Most of us have had digestive issues for years, so it's always good to have, at the very least, baseline tests. And, it might rule out any, more serious concerns.

gfb1 Rookie
[snip... even after taking 50000 iu of vitamin d a week...[snip]

holy crap.

i hope anyone following this regimen is doing it under the advice and watchful eye of a physician. vitamin D is not a toy. it is a fat-soluble vitamin that can be dangerous. while 50,000iu/wk is not necessarily toxic -- it is approx 20% of dosages that have been found to show toxic effects. imo, that's way too close for comfort.

this is getting awfully close to self-medication. also, these pills should NEVER be around where children might find them and should have childproof caps -- not in with the vitamin drawer...

dizzygrinch Enthusiast
holy crap.

i hope anyone following this regimen is doing it under the advice and watchful eye of a physician. vitamin D is not a toy. it is a fat-soluble vitamin that can be dangerous. while 50,000iu/wk is not necessarily toxic -- it is approx 20% of dosages that have been found to show toxic effects. imo, that's way too close for comfort.

this is getting awfully close to self-medication. also, these pills should NEVER be around where children might find them and should have childproof caps -- not in with the vitamin drawer...

Hello, yes, I am getting this prescribed by my endocrinologist. At first she had me on it once a month, no improvement, so for the past couple of months its been once a week. I appreciate your concern, but trust me, I dont go around self-medicating.... this is prescribed by my doc...thanks

mushroom Proficient
holy crap.

My rheumatologist told me that if you are really deficient in D, taking 50,000iu/mth which my PCP prescribed is just maintaining; that you need to fill up the tank first by taking that dosage every week for four weeks, then you can do the top-up every month. (with follow-up tests of course)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived