This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trying Out Gluten Free

beanpot

beanpot Apprentice

Okay so after obsessively reading this forum for a week I've decided to post. I don't know if I have celiac or gluten intolerance but I've decided to try the diet to see if I feel better. I've been diagnosed with IBS C, and have tested negative on tTg tests in the past, MD didn't do the whole panel just the tTg. The C is not so much a frequency issue as small, hard to pass stools. I do everything right - fiber, water, exercise, nothing helps not even stool softeners or fiber (allergic to psyllium). I also have a history of anemia, less so now, and depression/anxiety. On allergy scratch tests I react to wheat, casein and too many other things!

I've gone on a wheat free diet before during hay fever season because it helps with nasal allergies. This past year my aunt went on a gluten free diet, and years ago my grandmother had Celiac disease and almost died of malnutrition before they figured out what it was.

I've been gluten-lite for about 5 days, and while the bloating and gas is reduced, I still have stubborn constipation. Has anyone had experience with chronic, stubborn constipation? And how do you get enough fiber on this diet?

Sorry for TMI!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ang1e0251 Contributor

You are going to have to go completely gluten-free to know if the diet will clear up your C. It could also be another food you are sensitive to that's adding to the problem. Many of us found after going gluten-free that other items popped us that bothered us. I've never had a problem with C until now. If I eat too many alternate grains I really get backed up.

I would say tighten up your diet and keep a food/symptom journal to pinpoint all your problem foods.

purple Community Regular

Here is a fiber link:

Open Original Shared Link

beanpot Apprentice

Amaranth sounds great! Thanks to you both!

SBisglutenfree Rookie

I've only been gluten free for a week and a half. I'm having problems with C too. I did notice that I have a stomach ache after eating corn (tortillas). It's happened twice now in the last few days and very bloated after eating broccoli (I guess that goes with the territory), but the fiber from the broccoli isn't helping with the C either. I like the idea of the food journal. You may not just be gluten sensitive, it could be other foods also.

I'm glad you asked this question; I'm looking foward to the responses.

S.

Jennifer S Newbie
Okay so after obsessively reading this forum for a week I've decided to post. I don't know if I have celiac or gluten intolerance but I've decided to try the diet to see if I feel better. I've been diagnosed with IBS C, and have tested negative on tTg tests in the past, MD didn't do the whole panel just the tTg. The C is not so much a frequency issue as small, hard to pass stools. I do everything right - fiber, water, exercise, nothing helps not even stool softeners or fiber (allergic to psyllium). I also have a history of anemia, less so now, and depression/anxiety. On allergy scratch tests I react to wheat, casein and too many other things!

I've gone on a wheat free diet before during hay fever season because it helps with nasal allergies. This past year my aunt went on a gluten free diet, and years ago my grandmother had Celiac disease and almost died of malnutrition before they figured out what it was.

I've been gluten-lite for about 5 days, and while the bloating and gas is reduced, I still have stubborn constipation. Has anyone had experience with chronic, stubborn constipation? And how do you get enough fiber on this diet?

Sorry for TMI!

I am also another new community member, and also have had a recent diagnosis of IBS!!! In addition, the celiac blood test was negative, and the doc didn't even take a darn biopsy when he could've. So I just went gluten free, very strict, and am feeling much better after almost two months now. My IBS was the opposite of yours, diarrhea not constipation, with gastritis. I have found that it's not just which foods I eat (gluten or not) but also which foods I eat with what. Specifically, I eat meat with cooked veggies, or starches with cooked veggies, and fruit on an empty stomach, by itself. It has helped enormously, and let me isolate certain foods easier to check my reaction to them. Bloating, gas, cramping is all reduced. Stress still kicks it up though. Also, a dietician reccommended Flaxseed Meal as a good source of gluten free fiber. I am trying that next.

purple Community Regular
I am also another new community member, and also have had a recent diagnosis of IBS!!! In addition, the celiac blood test was negative, and the doc didn't even take a darn biopsy when he could've. So I just went gluten free, very strict, and am feeling much better after almost two months now. My IBS was the opposite of yours, diarrhea not constipation, with gastritis. I have found that it's not just which foods I eat (gluten or not) but also which foods I eat with what. Specifically, I eat meat with cooked veggies, or starches with cooked veggies, and fruit on an empty stomach, by itself. It has helped enormously, and let me isolate certain foods easier to check my reaction to them. Bloating, gas, cramping is all reduced. Stress still kicks it up though. Also, a dietician reccommended Flaxseed Meal as a good source of gluten free fiber. I am trying that next.

Its best to buy whole flax seed and grind them as you use them. I bought a coffee grinder to grind them up and it works great. I try to put a spoonful or 2, ground, in everything I make if I can remember...bread, cookies, muffins, casseroles, waffles, pizza crust, cakes, etc.

If eating whole flax seed, be sure to chew each one. I keep them in the freezer and a few in a shaker jar to sprinkle on green salads. I call them "BUGS" :lol:

found a good link:

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

For those looking for more fiber, besides amaranth, there's Kasha (roasted buckwheat), teff, and of course coconut. Ordinary green pea soup is actually pretty high in fiber too.

Aside from the fiber, many find supplementing magnesium very helpful. It is nature's stool softener.

beanpot Apprentice

Thanks for all these great suggestions!

I will start a food journal today. It has been one week, I am trying to go strictly gluten free for 2 months, until the end of May and then re-assess. The only thing I'm not paying major attention to right now is cross-contamination. So far, my digestion feels better, and my allergies are a lot better. That's worth the trouble right there!

I've found that doctors are super-reluctant to do a biopsy for celiac. I had major stomach pain in my 20's, and they ruled out everything but celiac because they didn't want to do an invasive test even with my family history. The doctor said it was just stress. It may have been.

And for that past 10 years, my GP just keeps doing the celiac blood tests even with the possibility of false negatives, and listens to me complain about the same symptoms year after year. I don't want to constantly be taking laxatives. Fiber doesn't seem to work. And I am not taking other things that I should, like calcium, because I don't want to worsen the C.

Thanks for letting me complain!

ang1e0251 Contributor

I've only been gluten free for a week and a half. I'm having problems with C too. I did notice that I have a stomach ache after eating corn (tortillas). It's happened twice now in the last few days and very bloated after eating broccoli (I guess that goes with the territory), but the fiber from the broccoli isn't helping with the C either. I like the idea of the food journal. You may not just be gluten sensitive, it could be other foods also.

Your tortillas could be made in a shared facility. I have started to gradually have problems with the ones I eat. One day the store was out and I had to buy Mission and no problems. I need just to buy those now or others more carefully made.

As the other poster pointed out, magnesium is very helpful with C. Also honey can gently help.

SLB5757 Enthusiast
Thanks for all these great suggestions!

I will start a food journal today. It has been one week, I am trying to go strictly gluten free for 2 months, until the end of May and then re-assess. The only thing I'm not paying major attention to right now is cross-contamination. So far, my digestion feels better, and my allergies are a lot better. That's worth the trouble right there!

I've found that doctors are super-reluctant to do a biopsy for celiac. I had major stomach pain in my 20's, and they ruled out everything but celiac because they didn't want to do an invasive test even with my family history. The doctor said it was just stress. It may have been.

And for that past 10 years, my GP just keeps doing the celiac blood tests even with the possibility of false negatives, and listens to me complain about the same symptoms year after year. I don't want to constantly be taking laxatives. Fiber doesn't seem to work. And I am not taking other things that I should, like calcium, because I don't want to worsen the C.

Thanks for letting me complain!

This just sounds like my story. I am diagnosed with IBS - C, and am starting very soon on a Wheat-Free diet. I have Allergy tests showing a wheat allergy and have been told to eliminate Wheat from my diet. I am at a point where I am ready to try. Nothing is worth the stomach pain/cramping...etc. I wish you all the best and hope you find a cure for your troubles very soon :)

beanpot Apprentice

I am feeling better on this diet. (TMI alert - Had first normal BM in 3 years!) Eczema in ears is gone too, and no bloating. An unexpected benefit is that before, if I didn't work out on a particular day I would get a depressed mood. I haven't worked out in 2 weeks due to a very painful sprained chest muscle, and I have not been depressed! I am hoping that I'll soon be able to wean myself down even further off zoloft, which has been extremely difficult in the past due to withdrawal side effects.

I tried this diet many years ago and it was very hard to find gluten-free food, now it is much easier. Also I like the way it forces you to eat healthy - lots of fruits and vegetables and lean protein.

I don't feel the need at this point for a doctor's diagnosis.

Good luck to everyone!

Archived