Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nw0528

Trying To Figure Out Intolerance Vs. Sensitivity

I understand there is a difference between having Celiac Disease and just having a sensitivity to gluten. I understand with Celiac damage is actually being done to the villi in the small intestine..

I just had my gastroendoscopy and my GI said everything looked "FINE." I asked him if I had Celiac would he have seen it (damaged villi) and he said, no, not necessarily because it can be microscopic. (He took biopsies which I am awaiting the results of).)

When my primary dr. first mentioned it sounded like I had Celiac Sprue, I went gluten free for one week. During that time I had tremendous improvement in my symptoms, but went back on gluten in prep. for the endoscopy. During the time I was gluten free, when I made errors (our soy sauce has wheat, for example), I had problems soon after those meals. Now, I have been having gluten free breakfasts and lunches (I'm a teacher and can't be racing to the bathroom all the time!), and then consuming gluten for dinner and evening snacks (pasta, pizza, etc.) and I have problems in the evenings.

So, what I am curious about is are the symptoms different for gluten intolerance (celiac,) vs. gluten sensitivity? For example, oily stools, very frequent bowel movements, gas, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Nicole

Hello Nicole. Just thought I would say a little something here. I would def. recommend going gluten free. I have suffered most of my adult life, and have been gluten free now since October, and I have to say, I feel 70-80-% better! my blood tests came back neg, and I just had my colonoscopy and endoscopy last week, but I have a feeling that will be neg for celiac too, I have been gluten free for so long, but anyway, I am showing improvements all around. In fact, my rhumatoid arthritis panel came back neg, but just a year and a half ago, it was positive. My doctor explained that, as he has seen himself, some of these symptoms actually can go away, once you remove gluten from your diet. Sometimes it may take some time though. I guess what Im saying is, if your ready to give the diet a try, I def would! some doctors want you to be consuming gluten for their tests, but my stomach issues were so severe, that I couldnt see my self living like that, just for postive tests results. However, I do recommend the colonoscopies and tests to rule out other diseases, but I believe once you go gluten free, and if you feel better, why not? your health and life is so much more important than eating foods, that you know get you sick. I hope you get your answers, and start to feel better. God Bless and good luck!