This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wierd Symptoms In My Otherwise Normal 4 Year Old

dylansmama

dylansmama Newbie

My 4 year old started throwing up a couple times a month for the last 2-3 months, wether its a gag reflex or a flu bug were not sure, but we took him to the doctor and he suggested since the things he was eating at the time were starchy/carby type foods (in addition to meats and veggies) he wanted to test for celiac, the test came back normal hemablobin (sp?) and negitive for celiac. but i look on you site and i think, well why is he vomiting now? he has a little rash on his cheeks which we thought was from out woodstove drying him out, we use baby oil and its better, but also tummy aches when he was on omega 3 (2 of the vomits were during this time)so we stopped when he said his tummy hurt, now thats all better. But he still wants us to have an upper gi done, and were not sure? to put him thru sedation and hours of testing when the blood came back normal. hes 4 in april 50 pounds 45 inches tall and more active that ive ever seen a kid, he doent want to sleep more than 10 hours a night wont take a nap and eats everything in sight, both fruits veggies bread meat etc etc etc. so im not sure what to do? Is it something i should help him thru just in case or unnessessary discomfort for a kid? super conflicted, any advice would help! thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

The ped. gastro. should have told you the list of suspect issues that the endoscopy is being done to rule out or diagnose.

From what I can remember...

Celiac Disease

H. Ployri

Eosinophilic Esophagitis

Yeast overgrowth/thrush

malformation of the upper digestive track

parasite infection

The doctor MUST take biopsies! More than one biopsy even if is "normal" looking tissue.

You need to talk to your child's doctor and reach a comfort level of understanding. You can do some preliminary research on these suspect causes. (It won't make you more comfortable but you will have more of a game plan if the time comes for one of these diagnoses.)

My daughter has both Celiac and EE. If you have any further questions you think I can help you with, feel free to contact me.

Laura

dylansmama Newbie
The ped. gastro. should have told you the list of suspect issues that the endoscopy is being done to rule out or diagnose.

From what I can remember...

Celiac Disease

H. Ployri

Eosinophilic Esophagitis

Yeast overgrowth/thrush

malformation of the upper digestive track

parasite infection

The doctor MUST take biopsies! More than one biopsy even if is "normal" looking tissue.

You need to talk to your child's doctor and reach a comfort level of understanding. You can do some preliminary research on these suspect causes. (It won't make you more comfortable but you will have more of a game plan if the time comes for one of these diagnoses.)

My daughter has both Celiac and EE. If you have any further questions you think I can help you with, feel free to contact me.

Laura

thats just it thought, we havent even been to the ped. gastro. doctor, were just going off our visit to our normal pediatrician and havent gotten our questions answered or even feel justified in taking him to a gastro doc. Were not sure its even nessessary!!! Just thought it was a super long shot to do the upper gi, no one even mentioned a biopsey, they just took blood said it all came back normal but still wanted to do the upper gi with small bowel follow through. dont know what the deal is just know he doesnt seem like its that serious until he scared us with this whole gi thing! thanks for the advice but im still confused!!! :huh:

mommida Enthusiast

Get a refferal to a Pediatric Gastroenterologist.

Start a food journal. This could be a food intolerance or allergy. Delayed food intoleranc or allergy can be VERY difficult and expensive to figure out. Get some practice reading food labels and determining what your child is eating.

Gluten has over a page of words that mean Wheat, rye, and barley. We also know that oats are too cross contaminated to eat in the U.S. Some Celiacs purchase specialty "gluten free" oats.

• 2 weeks later...
dmmcleod Newbie

Have you researched Gastroparesis? You have to have a delayed gastric emptying scan for this. Sounds very possible.

Genna'smom Apprentice

Hi

I just wanted you to know that blood work can have false negative and your child could still have celiac disease. I have an almost 3 yr old who every blood test came back normal and negative but when she finally ended up in the hospital because she just stopped eating and drinking they decided to do an endoscopy and biopcies to rul out all the things mentioned above. Well guess what it came back positive and she is doing better - slow but better. She really had no symptoms of Celiac's at all so we were not convinced but the proof is in that she is eating again and she is starting to gain weight again and grow again.

ULTIMATELY - you have to follow your own mother instincts...

Archived