This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! My Son Is Eating Dirt

bear6954

bear6954 Apprentice

At the end of Feb, we went for my sons 1 yr check up and found that this liver was 13 cm and that he had non fasting hypoglycemia (51mg) and liver enzymes were 700 and 1400. He grew 5 inches but only gained one pound, so he actually lost weight. He is the size of a two year old and is not on the growth chart. We started him on EO 28 Splash and he is doing ok. However, before the EO 28 and after, he is eating dirt in our backyard - by the spoonful. I know that he is malnurished, thats the reason for the EO 28 Splash. I know I read somewhere that eating dirt means you are missing some type of vitamin, but I don't remember which one. Has anyone ever had this happen to them or their kids and what vit did they need?

A little background. I just found out that gluten is passed in breastmilk - thats what happens when you live in the middle of nowhere and no one to answer questions!. So I went gluten free, since my son refuses to wean. This was done after we got the recent results back from the GI. Guess I was glutening my son and did not know it.

Thanks so much,

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I associate it with iron deficient anemia. Look into pica (craving and eating non-food items). It could mean something else in kids though.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

When you mentioned eating dirt the first thing that came to me was low iron/anemia too.

When I was reading up on low iron last year I remember it mentioning eating things like dirt, paper etc. Some people with low iron also crave to chew on ice.

Hope you can figure things out. Good Luck.

Juliebove Rising Star

I believe the dirt eating is called Pica and is from an iron deficiency. Can he eat spinach or Swiss chard? You can mince these really fine, put in hamurger gravy, meatloaf, meatballs, or layer into lasagna.

bear6954 Apprentice

I will do that. I know they pulled a bunch of blood work on Ray, but I don't know if they checked his iron levels. I cook everything in cast iron and he gets iron in EO28. He is a very picky eater and mostly eats whole grain rice pasta. I will have him tested and see if we need to add other supplements. Thanks a ton.

RiceGuy Collaborator

If memory serves, a deficiency in zinc can also make a child want to eat dirt.

• 2 weeks later...
purple Community Regular

I ran across this link today:

Open Original Shared Link

It mentioned craving to eat soil could be caused by hookworms.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived