This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

For Those With H.pylori

foodiegurl

foodiegurl Collaborator

On top of just being diagnosed with Celiac, I have h.pylori. Well, that was what they were testing for, the Celiac was a bonus ;)

My Dr wants to treat it with the full meds..2 antibiotics 7 times a day for 2 weeks, plus pepto, plus omeprazole..so 14 pills a day total. For someone who HATES taking meds at all. I am allergic to three antibiotics, so it is different then then prev pack (or whatever it is called). i am really weary to do this for many reasons,

1) I have friends who have done this, and still have it after the are done with the meds..so a huge waste of time, and meds adverse effects;

2) Since I am already allergic to 3 antibiotics, I am sure I will have a reaction to one of these as well..and when I do, I won't know which one I am reacting to, and will have to cut out both for any future treatments of anything;

3) Since I have all this tummy stuff going on, I can't imagine such a huge overload of antibiotics is going to do any good for my tummy :(

I am currently taking 1 omeprazole a day, plus a probiotic. I originally complained about reflux, and since taking the omeprazole, it is gone. However, when I go feel tummy issues now, I am not sure if it is the h.pylori, or the celiac (which i never knew i had until this, and never had tummy issues before).

The other day after having a large salad and wine, I had a horrible tummy ache, and am just a 1 week in of being gluten free, so I doubt it is gluten, but maybe it is something with the h.pylori? Does h.pylori cause lower GI issues as well as reflux/heartburn?

I would love to figure out a natural way to control this h.pylori, rather than being so loaded down with meds. Is this something that needs to be totally eradicated, or something that just has to be controlled and balanced?

Thanks??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

What you might want to do is get a second opinion as far as the H pylori treatment goes. Not all doctors will treat it as it is something that most of us have and it doesn't always cause issues. Since you were diagnosed with both at the same time it is hard to tell if stomach pain is from one or the other. H pylori is usually, as far as I know, associated with ulcers but celiac can be also. You could ask your doctor if it is okay to wait to see if the symptoms resolve on the gluten free diet if taking the antibiotics is not something your system can handle.

mamaw Community Regular

I'm not a pro on this subject to say the least but first off not all probiotics are created equal! We take Dr O'hirra's professional formula. This is the only one that I notice a difference with. Plus you could try kefir. Daily enzymes are good as well.

Now to your salad & wine. Never rule out gluten hiding in strange places.. Just because you just got dx'd doesn't mean a thing.. also some of us are very sensitive to sulphites in wine, MSG among other things.

It can take your body time to adjust to everything that is going on & recoup itself from the past ...

I don't blame you for not wanting to take antibiotics.. it is a choice you will have to make. Do what you feel is right for your body. You know your body better than any doctor..

good luck & I hope you get to feeling better soon

mamaw

YoloGx Rookie

If you are having digestive difficulties, it might be better to avoid raw vegetables (and hot spices, garlic, onions) for now. Ditto with the wine since it may irritate your stomach and/or gut until you heal whatever inflammation you've got. Its best to eat warm (i.e., not cold or hot) food and liquids until you feel better.

Meanwhile I agree with you. Many doctors tend to be antibiotic happy and in your case it doesn't sound like a very good idea since you become allergic to them so easily. Save them for an emergency when they are really needed. Its what I do.

The pepto is a good idea as long as you can handle the salicylates (aspirin).

However meanwhile there are real alternatives like DGL tablets. Make sure they are gluten-free of course. DGL is deglycerized licorice. It won't raise your blood pressure whereas regular licorice root will if taken long enough. It really helps heal the stomach and counteracts the H. Pylori.

Enterically coated Peppermint capsules are said to be excellent as well plus peppermint and chamomile tea. Very soothing. Fennel is good too...

In addition, my old standby of slippery elm and/or marshmallow root can work wonders on both the stomach and the gut. Very soothing of the innards! Takes down inflammation big time. No antibiotics...!!

Further, are you staying away from all the trace glutens? They might still be being ingested somethow and thus continuing to bother you...

Bea

Archived