This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Easy, Yummy Bread In Minutes

lonewolf

lonewolf Collaborator
Is there something i can sub the almond flour with? I'm allergic to almonds. TIA!

Try using a second Tbs. of flax meal. The "original" recipe called for 2 Tbs. of flax - it's a bit more "grainy", but still good.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
casnco Enthusiast

Man, I don't know what I did wrong but this was awful! Very chocolaty taste. Only cooked it for one min. and it was hard. Eatable, but hard and dense. And even an eggy taste. I might try it again and cook for a shorter time and leave out the coco. but first try I was not impressed. Sorry.

angelhair45 Newbie

I just tried it and it came out very nice. There was no eggy taste at all. I wonder why it's eggy for some people? I am now going to experiment with different flours and such to see what else I can do with it. The possibilities seem endless. I wonder if it would still work in the oven?

casnco Enthusiast
I just tried it and it came out very nice. There was no eggy taste at all. I wonder why it's eggy for some people? I am now going to experiment with different flours and such to see what else I can do with it. The possibilities seem endless. I wonder if it would still work in the oven?

I was wondering the same thing. I don't really like to use the microwave if I dont have to. Let us know how it works out.

angelhair45 Newbie
I was wondering the same thing. I don't really like to use the microwave if I dont have to. Let us know how it works out.

Yeah I like to use the microwave as little as possible. I think I will try it in the oven tonight and see how it goes. I'll let update then.

lonewolf Collaborator
Yeah I like to use the microwave as little as possible. I think I will try it in the oven tonight and see how it goes. I'll let update then.

Have you tried it in the oven yet? I'm not a big microwave fan either - this is just how the recipe was. I'd love to be able to make a whole batch and toss them in the freezer or something.

Man, I don't know what I did wrong but this was awful! Very chocolaty taste. Only cooked it for one min. and it was hard. Eatable, but hard and dense. And even an eggy taste. I might try it again and cook for a shorter time and leave out the coco. but first try I was not impressed. Sorry.

Hmm - the cocoa is in there just for color. Are you sure you used only half a measuring TEASPOON full? Did you stir up the egg really well before adding the dry stuff? Did you use baking powder? (not soda). Maybe your microwave is higher powered than mine - you could try it at 80% or something. One minute in mine would definitely not cook it all the way. The bread is slightly dense, but should turn out kind of like the texture of whole wheat bread, not hard at all. Sorry it didn't work for you.

crunchy-mama Apprentice

I am so excited to try this- I am craving a blt-sooooooo very bad and so do not feel like making a whole big loaf of bread and refused to by the overpriced nasty hfs variety.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

one more mile Contributor

Using buckwheat for the rice works. I think the basic is just egg, backing poweder and flour. I am sure what ever blend of flours you have on had will work in a pinch.

ranger Enthusiast

I can't believe it's not bread! It really worked. I'm going to make a batch of the dry ingrediants to keep in the fridge so I don't have to measure that all the time. It's not the best bread, but it will work in a pinch. Thanks much! You're a genius!

hannahp57 Contributor

I just tried this for a fast sandwhich.

I used sorghum and doubled the flax since i have no almond meal here. It was very good my husband even liked it! and he certainly isnt gluten free.

it was a little dry. would adding water affect the recipe?

purple Community Regular
I just tried this for a fast sandwhich.

I used sorghum and doubled the flax since i have no almond meal here. It was very good my husband even liked it! and he certainly isnt gluten free.

it was a little dry. would adding water affect the recipe?

I was thinking of adding a little oil. Nut/flax flours have oil and the other flours are drier. I think the original recipe was made with nut/flax flours. Also use a large egg, not medium.

My dd made a hamburger bun today and it turned out great! She had a medium egg so she added a little water.

one more mile Contributor

I like to play and had an urge for chocolate cake today:

1 large egg

2 Tbs. almond meal

1 Tbs. Bobs red mill biscuit and baking mix

1/2 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. sugar

3/4 tsp. cocoa powder

a few drops of almond extract

Nutella as frosting ( has milk in it)

Spray a custard dish (or any baking dish that will yield a hamburger bun sized "loaf") with non stick spray. Crack egg into dish and stir with a fork until it's well mixed. Add all other ingredients and stir well. Cook in microwave on high for 90 seconds. You'll have to loosen around the edges with a butter knife, but mine came out pretty easily. let it cool a little bit and spread some Nutella on.

it was good, fast and only enough for one serving. ( I hate when I have a whole cake left and only wanted a little bit)

one more mile

crunchy-mama Apprentice

Oh, my goodness- you are a superstar! This is - just awesome. The best thing is the possibilities that it opens up. I can now see keeping this prepared and when we go to bar-b-ques or other functions I can have some safe bread for us in a hurry. Luke was so excited and I am beyond tickled that I got to have a blt on actual bread. The ingredients are nice whole ingredients as well- I would like to figure out the oven thing as well as it would be cool to do several at a time (plus I prefer not to use it as well) and have them frozen for quick meals. I used the recipe just as wrote- exactly for 90 seconds and it was perfectly done and popped right out. I got 3 slices out of one- although if my pan had straight sides it might have been just 2- will have to look for some more custard pans as I have broke most of mine.

crunchy-mama Apprentice
Oh, my goodness- you are a superstar! This is - just awesome. The best thing is the possibilities that it opens up. I can now see keeping this prepared and when we go to bar-b-ques or other functions I can have some safe bread for us in a hurry. Luke was so excited and I am beyond tickled that I got to have a blt on actual bread. The ingredients are nice whole ingredients as well- I would like to figure out the oven thing as well as it would be cool to do several at a time (plus I prefer not to use it as well) and have them frozen for quick meals. I used the recipe just as wrote- exactly for 90 seconds and it was perfectly done and popped right out. I got 3 slices out of one- although if my pan had straight sides it might have been just 2- will have to look for some more custard pans as I have broke most of mine.

oh- and I have to link this to another allergy forum- I didn't want to type it up like it was my idea!

Ginsou Explorer

My first attempt came out slightly dry, but very good. There was no egg or cocoa taste at all. I'll use a bit less flour next time, and cook for a shorter period of time.

I left out the cocoa, and subbed an Analise Roberts flour mix for all flours and the result was a sponge cake like consistency, perfect for strawberry shortcake.

BFreeman Explorer

Thank you so much for this. I tried it last night exactly as you wrote it, and it was very good. This morning the last half went for a sausage sandwich. I don't usually keep almond meal on hand and had bought just a little bit to try this, so I went back today and got a jar full.

(I put it in my recipe book as "Single-Serving-Gluten-Free-Bread-In-A-Bowl.")

So nice to be able to try something without wasting a lot of ingredients if you don't like it.

BF

WW340 Rookie

Thank you Lonewolf for the recipe. I made it to have with soup for lunch. It is good, though my first one came out dry. I used millet in place of flax, because that is what I had. I will get some flax and see if that makes it not so dry. I also microwaved for 90 seconds, so will try cutting down on time.

Thanks also to Roda, for suggesting grinding whole almonds into meal. I would have never thought of it, even though I have the almonds.

katerinoula18 Newbie

WOW what a great recipe. I went out and bought all the ingredients. This was my first time baking gluten-free hence i didn't have anything at home:(

My first attempt was not bad: too much flour, too chocolaty taste. and i forgot to put the salt ahaha

Second attempt: wayyyy to dry!

Third attempt (today)! OMG I almost went another one. It was SOOO good!!! I lessened the flour and the coco, and I only put 1 tsp of flaxseed. and in the microwave for 1min20sec. I ate it with olive oil and feta. with tomato on the side. SO GOOD.

thanks for the recipe. :P

angelhair45 Newbie

I made it in the oven tonight. It came out well, but didn't rise as high as in the microwave. When I make it in the microwave I double the recipe and divide it in thirds. I think I will just divide it in half the next time I bake it and see if it is a better size. It wasn't as fluffy as it is in the microwave, but I thought it was tastier and heartier. I preferred the baked version for a sandwich, but I think the microwave version makes a better bun if you are having hamburgers.

I baked it for 12 minutes at 350. I also used a modified version of the recipe.

2 large eggs

4 Tbs. Teff flour

2 Tbs. almond meal

2 Tbs. golden flax meal

12 tsp. baking powder

Squirt of Agave Nectar

shake of salt

pinch of garlic powder

1 tsp of Spectrum Organic Shortening

A dash of milk

kaiess Contributor

HE ATE IT!! HE ATE IT!! HE ATE IT!!

I made this simple recipe in literally 3 minutes from start to finish in a glass pyrex measuring cup. I put it in the fridge to cool for a minute afterwards and then cut it into 4 slices. I made nutella sandwiches with it and HE ATE IT!! My son, 9, who will be going gluten free after his scope in July actually ate a gluten-free bread :)

Thank you!!

Kathy, mom to Jakob, 9

BFreeman Explorer
HE ATE IT!! HE ATE IT!! HE ATE IT!!

I made this simple recipe in literally 3 minutes from start to finish in a glass pyrex measuring cup. I put it in the fridge to cool for a minute afterwards and then cut it into 4 slices. I made nutella sandwiches with it and HE ATE IT!! My son, 9, who will be going gluten free after his scope in July actually ate a gluten-free bread :)

Thank you!!

Kathy, mom to Jakob, 9

Kathy, did you use the two-cup measuring cup and the regular proportion of ingredients? Did it rise enough to do four slices top to bottom?

kaiess Contributor
Kathy, did you use the two-cup measuring cup and the regular proportion of ingredients? Did it rise enough to do four slices top to bottom?

I made the original recipe listed at the start of the thread. I didn't have almond meal so I put almonds in the blender and used that. Put it in a 500mL glass measuring cup and cooked it on high for 85 seconds. I sliced it horizontally so we got circular pieces and then I put Nutella in between and we both ate it :)

I have to admit I have to play with it a bit more b/c it was a little dry, but it was edible compared to any other recipes I've baked over the last few weeks since starting this gluten-free journey. Most of my other ones came out with a strong yeast smell/flavour but decent texture.......nothing my husband or kids would eat!!

I love how easy this recipe is though and how it's quick and minimal ingredients so we can play around and not waste $$/engery like crazy.

Kathy

GFinDC Veteran

Thanks much for the recipe Lonewolf!

I made a version of this recipe using Tom Sawyer flour. I kind of winged it on the measurements, not really measuring. My first try didn't really rise. But the 2nd time I added just a couple drops of lemon juice and it rose just fine. I made the batter/dough somewhat thicker than pancake batter, put it in a pan with some olive oil and a lid on it. I let it cook for a few minutes and then flipped it over. I don't think the flipping over really helped anything but seemed like a good idea. Since I didn't follow the directions real well, I can't say for sure how mine compared, but it made kind of flat scone type shape, more risen and higher in the center than a pancake would be.

nasalady Contributor
Mmm, sorghum flour sounds great! I like it, but don't buy it because it's so much more expensive than rice flour here. I'll have to get some anyway to try it.

I'm glad that you're having success with this easy recipe too! I mixed up a ziploc bag full of the ingredients and now just measure 1/4 Cup with an egg when I need a "bun".

The original recipe is low carb and actually pretty good if you like really nutty whole grain type stuff. It is 1 Egg, 2 Tbs. Almond Meal, 2 Tbs. Flax Meal, 1/2 tsp baking powder and a shake of salt. Make it the same way. It's heavier, but still tastes good. I eat one for breakfast when I want something filling and low carb. Lots of fiber too!

Liz, just had to thank you for this recipe....I've tried the brown rice flour and sorghum flour versions and they both came out great! I've even been keeping ziploc bags full of the mix handy in the fridge so that I can make sandwich buns quickly. I really like the taste and texture; I made a wonderful chicken sandwich today with one of those buns! My husband likes them too; he just recently found out that he is gluten intolerant so he was very happy to know that he could have delicious hamburger buns so quickly and easily.

Thanks again!

JoAnn

ranger Enthusiast

I made 4 batches of the dry ingred. and parked it in the fridge. Yesterday, all I had to was measure 5 Tbs of the mix with an egg and it worked! So I didn't have to drag out and measure all the ingred. Took no time. The choco cake didn't work so well, but I used 3 Tbs. of gluten-free flour, 1 1/2 Tbs. cocao powder, 1/2 tsp. bk pw, 2 Tbs. sugar, then added 1/2 tsp vanilla, and 1/2 tsp. oil to the egg. Mixed it up, put in in a cereal bowl, nuked it for 85 sec (next time I'll try 80) and got myself the cutest lil' choc cake in the world! Susan

Archived