This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Son Saw Gi Doctor Yesterday

parkerrmmc

parkerrmmc Apprentice

Hello! I joined this message board a few weeks ago and I first want to start by saying THANKS to all of you. Everyone has been so helpful therefore reducing my stress greatly. Now to my son, his pediatrician sent us to a Pediatric GI doctor to check for Celiac, due to an increased AGA IgG level. When we went yesterday, she immediately put him back on a regular diet (he's been gluten-free for over two months) for 2-3 months. She did order all 5 blood tests yesterday even though he's been gluten-free for awhile. She is also having us collect stool so that she can check the fat content. At the end of the 2-3 months, she wants to repeat the 5 blood tests and if they show positive for Celiac, she wants to order DNA testing. I was shocked when she said this beacuse in all the posts I've read, most doctors won't order this. Am I correct? She never mentioned anything about scope or biopsy, just the blood tests and the DNA testing. What are your thoughts on all of this? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

It sounds like she is starting with the least invasive tests first. If she comes up with positive results from the bloodwork and stool sample, she might not order an endoscopy. Although she might order it later to determine the extent of damage, but that will depend on what she finds in the other tests. It is my ~humble~ :D *opinion* that she is starting off very well! Perhaps you have found a good GI doc for your son!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I am not sure if some doctors opt not to do that for celiac but it sounds like you found a good doctor who is being very thorough. My GI doctor ordered the 5 tests plus the gene test and at that point I had no clue what I needed to be tested for. Keep us posted :D

trying4faith Apprentice

Hi - I have a post out there, I'm new. I just read yours and wondered what are the 5 tests, and what gene test is being discussed?

My son, now 2 1/2, has not gained weight in over a year. The doctors don't seem to know what to do other than suggest a feeding tube but that terrifies me.

He was fine on baby food and Alimentum. The trouble all began with table food. He has foul-smelling stool, often has gas, and burps all the time.

My post has information about me (still up in the air) and since you mentioned a gene test, at this point, I'd do just about anything to find out what's ailing us both.

Guest ajlauer

trying4faith:

The thought of a feeding tube makes me want to vomit! FIND A NEW DOCTOR!! BLECH!!!!!!!!!!! My daughter, almost 4, just finally hit the 29-pound marker! I was thrilled, needless to say. She has been at 28 pounds for at least the last 6 months. In fact, she can now share some shirts with her 1-yr old sister! I suspected food allergies earlier this year. They tested her - and she's allergic to 7 different things. I brought her in for a follow up the other day, and they drew more blood. They are checking for celiac disease, cystic fibrosis, and "some other things" that can cause failure to thrive in a young child. What I *totally* appreciated - is that they're doing all these tests at once. So she only needs to be poked one time. They're also doing the stool test for fat that was mentioned in the original poster's message.

To answer your question on the 5 tests: I don't know them offhand. In the topic about testing and diagnosis.... I recently asked the question "Exactly what tests do I need". There is a terrific answer there - shows the long name (and abbreviated name) of all the 5 tests. You know... when it comes to our children, they should always start with the least-traumatic tests first. Drawing blood is harsh on them for a few minutes - but the terror goes away quickly. I can't imagine having to put a feeding tube in my daughter!!!! That would be just plain awful!!

If my daughter's test come back negative or inconclusive, we will probably just try the gluten-free diet and see what happens. I would certainly try the diet before putting her thru any invasive procedures (biopsy, etc...).

*hugs*

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

These are the 5 tests I was talking about:

-Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

-Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

-Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

-Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

-Total Serum IgA

These are the most common tests for celiac.

trying4faith Apprentice

Thank you for the replies. I believe I was tested for three of the 5, plus wheat. Aidan, my son, has had blood drawn many times, unfortunately.

I do not know what exact tests were conducted for celiac disease for him, but will follow up with his GI and ask. I was told she is very familiar with celiac disease in children, she's at UNC hospital.

The idea of a feeding tube chills me as well. I've been putting that off for some time now.

His food allergy panel is positive for dairy, egg (very high), moderate for soy, and mild for peanut. He won't eat chicken or fish no matter how much I try to disguise them. Does not eat red meat either, but will eat pork.

It's been very hard. If anyone knows of a good cookbook for gluten-free foods for children, I'll try it. The issue is, of course, he goes to daycare so it will be a real challenge to remove G altogether.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 5 months later...
hilaryw Newbie
Thank you for the replies.  I believe I was tested for three of the 5, plus wheat.  Aidan, my son, has had blood drawn many times, unfortunately.

I do not know what exact tests were conducted for celiac disease for him, but will follow up with his GI and ask.  I was told she is very familiar with celiac disease in children, she's at UNC hospital.

The idea of a feeding tube chills me as well.  I've been putting that off for some time now.

His food allergy panel is positive for dairy, egg (very high), moderate for soy, and mild for peanut.  He won't eat chicken or fish no matter how much I try to disguise them.  Does not eat red meat either, but will eat pork.

It's been very hard.  If anyone knows of a good cookbook for gluten-free foods for children, I'll try it.  The issue is, of course, he goes to daycare so it will be a real challenge to remove G altogether.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hilaryw Newbie

To whoever asked about good gluten-free cookbook for kids: Incredible Edible Gluten Free foods.

Re; those who think you should not do biopsy b/c it is so invasive, I respectfully disagree. We just had one for our 4yo who had positive blood work. It was not that big a deal, and the dr. got to see the extent of the damage, and got to look at her body on the way down. She diagnosed an ulcer which could be the cause of our daughter's anemia, and gave us ways to treat it. In short, going in for a look seems to me to be the wisest way to go, especially since it is the "gold std." What if you just go gluten-free and don't know about some other problem that could be caught via endoscopy? Also, I know celiac disease mimics some other diseases (such as cystic fibrosis, Crohns) and the biopsy was not consistent w/ these, thankfully (although I'm still doing the sweat test next week for my own well-being). We bought the book "Eating Gluten Free With Emily" for kids, which my daughter loves, tells all about the diagnosis, etc.

Archived