This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Rotten Teeth!

weluvgators

weluvgators Explorer

Our super silly DD just turned four. She has never consumed a normal amount of gluten because it was apparent from her first bite that it was probably hurting her. We tried some direct gluten consumption a handful of times during her months 6-12. At about 14 months, I began to understand the need for me to provide her gluten free nursing, and I eliminated it largely from my diet. I ate gluten and dairy about once/week during that year, never recognizing my own particular issues with gluten consumption. We continued consuming oats. We continued consuming foods that had no gluten ingredients but were not producing obvious symptoms, later learning that they were cross contaminated. I thought that I would escape learning more about celiac, as we never were able to do a "gluten challenge" from the time that she was born. Perhaps, could of should of would of stuff, if the dentist that saw her teeth at 15 months did not admonish our lack of brushing routine even when I was a bit surprised since her sister had not required such vigilence. The staining was OBVIOUS. When I eliminated gluten for good, it was in part because you can see the line on her teeth from when I went mainly gluten free.

Anyway, her back four molars (that need to do lots of digestion work in the years ahead!!) are rotting. We are trying to fix it. We travel for hours to take her to a dentist that is accommodating. I just can't believe that the dentists that we have been to for help have been so callous and harmful to our progress. I can't believe that I did not realize the severity of the tooth issues sooner. I just feel a lot of sadness over it all. It was especially painful when we sat in a dentist chair at our local dentist office to hear him tell us that she has the teeth of a candy eating, soda drinking and bottle at bedtime kid. I shook my head in disbelief, and tried to help him understand that he was looking at a poster child for someone that should be screened for celiac disease. He shook his head at me that there could be any other explanation other than her having poor diet habits. And maybe we are missing something big in the big diet picture, but it certainly is not rot to her candy eating, soda drinking or bottle at bedtime habits.

Just getting ready for our next trip to the dentist, Keila :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lapentola Rookie

I am so sorry to hear that you and your daughter are having to go through this. I have had the same problems throughout my life. Every dentist I had ever been to had assumed that I had never touched a toothbrush in my life and/or that my diet consisted mainly or entirely of candy! It kinda makes you feel like you are doing something wrong even though you are not! (As a side note you should have heard the doctor diagnosing my osteopenia at age 24!! He called me a liar outright!)

I don't think it's normal to have much decay at your daughters age without serious neglect. For instance, I have a friend who recently confided in me that sometimes he would go for almost a year without touching a tooth brush, and would get the thumbs up from the dentist when he went. Then there was my brother who would brush once a week or so and might have one small cavity a year, while I would brush day and night faithfully and I would be lucky to walk out of the office with less than eight fillings!

I'm glad to hear though that you have found a dentist that is willing to work with you! You are doing the right thing for her with the gluten free diet! Keep at it and ignore the unsolicited comments!

psipsina Rookie
I am so sorry to hear that you and your daughter are having to go through this. I have had the same problems throughout my life. Every dentist I had ever been to had assumed that I had never touched a toothbrush in my life and/or that my diet consisted mainly or entirely of candy! It kinda makes you feel like you are doing something wrong even though you are not! (As a side note you should have heard the doctor diagnosing my osteopenia at age 24!! He called me a liar outright!)

I don't think it's normal to have much decay at your daughters age without serious neglect. For instance, I have a friend who recently confided in me that sometimes he would go for almost a year without touching a tooth brush, and would get the thumbs up from the dentist when he went. Then there was my brother who would brush once a week or so and might have one small cavity a year, while I would brush day and night faithfully and I would be lucky to walk out of the office with less than eight fillings!

I'm glad to hear though that you have found a dentist that is willing to work with you! You are doing the right thing for her with the gluten free diet! Keep at it and ignore the unsolicited comments!

I've had the same experience. No matter how much I cared for my teeth they would still have a bazillion cavities. I had one dentist accuse me of being a bulemic because of how bad my teeth were. My husband always forgets to brush, doesn't floss etc and he never has any cavities! I'm so sure that celiac has something to do with how bad my teeth are and I've just decided not to feel bad about it anymore. I do what I can and hopefully as I get better at keeping the gluten out of my system with accidents it will help my dental situation too.

Pattymom Newbie

My dd 4, had 2 premolars extracted in the fall. and another cavity that we fixed. Seh was gluten free from a 1 month old until 2. Then on gluten from 2-3.5 nowback off. I did find a sympathetic dentist this time. My eldest, now 13 had a total of 2, baby teeth that did not have some decay. He had his first fillings at 20 months--his canines came in with holes. and I was totally sugar free, as was he du e to yeast issues while nursing, so definelty not due to the accused causes. He has had a history of tummy aches from age 4 or so, coming and goign, daignosed IBS at 7, now just off gluten for a few months. I didn't know as much then as now, but alas his teeth paid for it. We did a variety of things. The molars were filled under anesthesia, all at once. I let basically everything else go as long as it did not hurt him, he did have a maybe2 teeth helped out, but they were already loose, so it was fairly easy. Good news! His adult teeth are in good shape so far. Maybe because of the gluten reduction. While he has only been officially off a few months, the household hs been pretty much off for for several years and he only got it "on the outside" since we homeschool this has been limited. Now that he is totally off, he no longer comes back from scout trips and parties feeling ill!

I understand the dental stress and guilt. Expecially beign accused of bottle mouth and letting them have sippy cups of juice all day. At our house, juice is generally a party beverage, but I had one dentist basically tell me I was lied. neer saw her again.

Hope it ends soon.

Patty

mushroom Proficient

I had rotten teeth as a toddler, a child, an adult. Now everything is pretty much filled or capped--not much tooth left to decay, now that I have finally figured it out.

julirama723 Contributor

Yup I know your pain. As a kid I did everything I was supposed to do--brushed twice a day, used those pink tablets (can't remember the name) to show where I'd "missed" brushing, used ACT, flossed. Yet EVERY SINGLE DENTAL APPOINTMENT I would get lectured about my poor dental habits. I remember HATING those kids with perfect teeth, the ones who got to pick a prize out of the basket because they had no cavities. It wasn't fair!

It wasn't until I was 13 that I had an appointment that didn't require a follow-up for a sealant or a filling. And by that time they felt I was "too old" to pick a prize out of the basket. Jerks.

I've always been embarassed about my teeth. They look pretty from the front (thanks to bleaching them in college) but when I open my mouth it's just rows of fillings.

weluvgators Explorer

Thank you for sharing, everyone! I just cannot believe how hard this part has been for us. It really helps to know that we are not all alone!

And, lots of hugs for all of you that can relate to the rotten teeth. UGH!! I hope that we caught this early enough that we do not continue to have such extensive issues, but right now we have some serious problems. Hopefully, we will make it out OK, but we have a rough few days ahead of us, I think!!

We are now headed off to an oral surgeon consultation tomorrow. They don't seem well versed in celiac - can anyone advise of things to watch out for when headed for oral surgery? Antibiotics and surgery suggestions are very welcome, as we are making important decisions about it every day now, and I find myself seriously limited in the amount of time that I have to do the research.

Thanks again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

My teeth were always rotten. Some of them had to be filled as soon as they came in. Dentists were always bugging me about brushing. It is glad to finally have a reason for it all. My mother thought it had to do with an anti-nausea drug she took when she was pregnant with me. You should check out when they form, It might be pretty much too late.

• 2 months later...
g1gg1e Rookie
Thank you for sharing, everyone! I just cannot believe how hard this part has been for us. It really helps to know that we are not all alone!

And, lots of hugs for all of you that can relate to the rotten teeth. UGH!! I hope that we caught this early enough that we do not continue to have such extensive issues, but right now we have some serious problems. Hopefully, we will make it out OK, but we have a rough few days ahead of us, I think!!

We are now headed off to an oral surgeon consultation tomorrow. They don't seem well versed in celiac - can anyone advise of things to watch out for when headed for oral surgery? Antibiotics and surgery suggestions are very welcome, as we are making important decisions about it every day now, and I find myself seriously limited in the amount of time that I have to do the research.

Thanks again!

Hope things went well.

Did you get anymore info? We found a Cavity on our Youngest ( who has Celiacs) and we are going to take her...I should have sooner but no cavities and just staining...Ive had all I can of getting support from Dr.'s so I was not in the mood for this fight...

So what did you learn?

My DD is 2

chasbari Apprentice

I brush, floss, gargle..obsess and get called a liar by hygienists all the time. My wife barely touches a toothbrush and they tell me I should be more like her. I lost my baby teeth in pieces and parts, have had countless root canals and yet no dentist had a clue as to celiac being a possible cause. Now that I am gluten-free the three teeth I was expecting to lose due to major jaw and gum issues have stabilized but still no dentist will believe... They find it easier to accuse me and call me a liar... more comfortable for them I suppose.

Archived