Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mmmSmores

Any Ideas...please?

I am hosting an easter gathering this weekend and one of the people coming is diabetic. I am not too familiar with the diabetic diet, but I do know that carbs & sugar are bad when in excess.

Does anyone have any cooking tips to please both the gluten-free & diabetic diet?

We are going casual and sort of non-traditional easter fare. I'm making pulled pork bbq and i was planning on using brown sugar splenda in place of regular sugar. We are also making mac & cheese with corn pasta. Is there anything i can substitute in the mac & cheese to lower the carb/sugar intake?

I've got dessert covered, sugar free chocolates from a great candy store down the street and fruit pizza made with gluten-free sugar cookie crust.

For the Mac and Cheese, try boiled Cauliflower instead, to make caulifower and cheese. Vegetables are always a low carb option.

When I make deviled eggs for a dinner with diabetics, they always disapear fast and give the meal a kind of picnic atmosphere. Don't forget to garnish with a sprinkle of paprika.

I'm diabetic. Yes, carbs in any form must be counted. How much we can eat does vary. Be sure to tell the diabetic that you are using Splenda. They may assume it is sugar and if they use insulin, inject too much of it. Or if they are taking certain meds, they might take too much thinking the carb count is higher.

You should make sure to have plenty of non starchy vegetables like a green salad, raw vegetable plate, cooked green beans, broccoli, asparagus, etc. Might also be nice to have something plain like a cheese plate or deviled eggs. Nuts would be nice to put out as a snack.

If I were you, I wouldn't make a special dessert, but I would put out something like plain fresh strawberries that are lower in carbs than other fruits and are still tasty this time of year.

I'm diabetic. Yes, carbs in any form must be counted. How much we can eat does vary. Be sure to tell the diabetic that you are using Splenda. They may assume it is sugar and if they use insulin, inject too much of it. Or if they are taking certain meds, they might take too much thinking the carb count is higher.

You should make sure to have plenty of non starchy vegetables like a green salad, raw vegetable plate, cooked green beans, broccoli, asparagus, etc. Might also be nice to have something plain like a cheese plate or deviled eggs. Nuts would be nice to put out as a snack.

If I were you, I wouldn't make a special dessert, but I would put out something like plain fresh strawberries that are lower in carbs than other fruits and are still tasty this time of year.

Thanks for the response. I did use splenda in the bbq recipe and we bought whole grain rolls for the non-celiacs to enjoy rather than white bread rolls. We are having big green salad full of fresh veggies.

I also bought nuts at the suggestion of others and 2 huge containers of strawberries, some will go into a strawberry pie (sugar free jello & sugar free pudding, gluten free crust) and the rest will be cut up for eating plain.

I believe our guest controls his diabetes with diet not with insulin, but i will be sure to tell him what ingredients are in what.

thanks again!

I have a friend that is diabetic so I have a little knowledge don't know if this will help but.. Since a diabetic has to watch their sugars then baking a recipe with say stevia or xylitol to sweeten it allows them to have something possibly. Stevia is so incredibly sweet I believe 300 to 1 stevia to sugar so a little goes a long way. For example make some fresh squeezed lemonade OR a quick drink to try by squeezing a lemon or a half a lemon over ice add water and mix in some stevia - the liquid 3 or 4 drops would be enough and stir and wallaah! you have a refreshing cold drink that a diabetic can have. Both stevia and xylitol are low gycemic. I have made say rice pudding and I use xylitol just like sugar. Of course the rice is sugar to a diabetic so that would depend on the rest of one's menu choices.

With Stevia is pretty much nil I believe for sugar count. Xylitol is low glycemic and not quite as sweet as sugar. I don't know how to compare them for you but there's lots of the web so maybe I'll find something. There are also other sweeteners like agave syrup but even low glycemic too much is too much sugar right.

What kind of recipes are you looking for? If I can help then I send one out . Are you doing a turkey dinner or ham and need a dessert or? Hope some of this is helpful. Are you looking for a low sugar dessert or a modification let me know and i'll try to help.

Thanks for the response. I did use splenda in the bbq recipe and we bought whole grain rolls for the non-celiacs to enjoy rather than white bread rolls. We are having big green salad full of fresh veggies.

I also bought nuts at the suggestion of others and 2 huge containers of strawberries, some will go into a strawberry pie (sugar free jello & sugar free pudding, gluten free crust) and the rest will be cut up for eating plain.

I believe our guest controls his diabetes with diet not with insulin, but i will be sure to tell him what ingredients are in what.

thanks again!

FYI: A very informative book on splenda, and other artificial sweeteners by Russell Blaylock MD called Excitotoxins and you can go to excitotoxins.com It is amazing that most diabetics are encouraged to use these unhealthy products and a shame have to research to find out what's wrong with our food. 60 B or Million a year is made on articifial sweetener products so there is a big motive to keep healthy alternatives quiet.