• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

mmmSmores

Vietnamese Cuisine

Rate this topic

I am going to a local vietnamese restaurant tonight for the first time. I've read about the dishes, but i'm not familiar with the ingredients. Are there any seasoned viet-vets out there that can recommend a dish that is most likely safe for a gluten-free diet? Of course i'll be checking with the staff at the restaurant.

Pho and spring rolls should be safe. Along with crepes. You won't find much wheat flour in use - usually rice flour. But you might find soy sauce in any number of the dipping sauces or grilled meat marinades, so be sure to ask about soy sauce. Fish sauce should be okay and that seems to be widely used. I used to love Vietnamese sandwiches but I guess those are out! If you've never had Pho you should not miss out.

Pho and spring rolls should be safe. Along with crepes. You won't find much wheat flour in use - usually rice flour. But you might find soy sauce in any number of the dipping sauces or grilled meat marinades, so be sure to ask about soy sauce. Fish sauce should be okay and that seems to be widely used. I used to love Vietnamese sandwiches but I guess those are out! If you've never had Pho you should not miss out.

Thanks! I was hoping Pho would be safe, i always hear how delicious it is. I'll try the spring rolls too!

Mmm...reading this is making me hungry. I have not had Vietnamese since being gluten-free, but I have eaten it often, and love pho! Enjoy!!

yup the pho and the crepes should be totally fine! I eat at Vietnamese restaurants often because of this. gotta love that pho!

What are the noodles in pho made of, or do you ask to leave them out? If the latter, do they remove them (cc) or just not add them in?

What are the noodles in pho made of, or do you ask to leave them out? If the latter, do they remove them (cc) or just not add them in?

They are rice noodles - made from rice flour and water and not much else! Always worth checking with the particular restaurant, though, just to be safe. The beef broth/stock is prepared separately from the rice noodles (at my favorite restaurants). Rice noodles are cooked separately and then placed into the serving bowl. The soup is ladeled over the noodles.