This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Behavior Effected In Children?

Lovemy4babies

Lovemy4babies Rookie

I posted all my sons symptoms and weird medical history under prediagnosis and testing so I will spare you all, if you care to read it there you can. But I have to ask because I forgot to add it in the other post. Is childrens behavior affected by celiac? I found a website that says it is adults, but then tons more that says children also. However, the doctor was realuctant to say his behavior was celiac-related because that is an adult symptom. Are your children affected behavior wise because of celiacs, before going gluten free?

My son is very ocd, will just start screaming, up and down, and basically seems like he is out of his mind to me. Not autistic, speaks very well, very social and makes eye contact (and isnt vaccinated :) ).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sugarsue Enthusiast
I posted all my sons symptoms and weird medical history under prediagnosis and testing so I will spare you all, if you care to read it there you can. But I have to ask because I forgot to add it in the other post. Is childrens behavior affected by celiac? I found a website that says it is adults, but then tons more that says children also. However, the doctor was realuctant to say his behavior was celiac-related because that is an adult symptom. Are your children affected behavior wise because of celiacs, before going gluten free?

My son is very ocd, will just start screaming, up and down, and basically seems like he is out of his mind to me. Not autistic, speaks very well, very social and makes eye contact (and isnt vaccinated :) ).

My children's behavior is very much affected by gluten. My older dd (7) becomes very angry, emotional and willful when she eats it. She has ADHD behavoir that is helped a lot by removing gluten and she also takes supplements to help with her behavior too.

My other dd (6) is more impulsive and less verbal when she was on gluten. She feels better, has more energy now and her behavior is better. When she is glutened, I can see it in her behavior as well as her other symptoms. She has many autistic conditions or symptoms but she does not have autisim. But because of this, we see a Dan! doctor who has been really helpful for us. These conditions have improved since going gluten free.

I'll go check out your other post too.

sugarsue Enthusiast

Also, if you haven't seen this thread yet, you might find it helpful. I was just browsing through and found it... https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=28807

Lovemy4babies Rookie

Thank you so much ! That is my son, everyone in that thread sounded just like me! My son WILL NOT SIT STILL. Literally, cant. Not for a meal, not at a restuarant, not in church, not to watch tv, play a game, color, NOTHING will hold his attention, and he is constantly moving, MORE then a normal 2 1/2 year old. Something is going on with him.

I want to try gluten free before the GI doctor. Its May 21st, do you think its ok, and when should I reintroduce it to him so it is in his system, or should I just not if it really works. Where can I find EXACTS on what is and isnt gluten free? Fruits are right? My son loves fruit. I know I can find gluten free at my store, I see it all the time, frozen chicken nuggests even :)

sugarsue Enthusiast
Thank you so much ! That is my son, everyone in that thread sounded just like me! My son WILL NOT SIT STILL. Literally, cant. Not for a meal, not at a restuarant, not in church, not to watch tv, play a game, color, NOTHING will hold his attention, and he is constantly moving, MORE then a normal 2 1/2 year old. Something is going on with him.

I want to try gluten free before the GI doctor. Its May 21st, do you think its ok, and when should I reintroduce it to him so it is in his system, or should I just not if it really works. Where can I find EXACTS on what is and isnt gluten free? Fruits are right? My son loves fruit. I know I can find gluten free at my store, I see it all the time, frozen chicken nuggests even :)

I would not go gluten free before the GI. Maybe you can call every day to see if there is a cancellation so you can get in sooner? I put my kids on the diet right after their blood tests. I still wonder if I should have waited and pushed for biopsy's because now we don't have a diagnosis but gluten free is the only way for us now, we'll never go back!

Here's the link to the safe/unsafe lists.... Hang in there, you will get some help soon!

https://www.celiac.com/categories/Safe-Glut...3B-Ingredients/

ang1e0251 Contributor

I'm not trying to disctract you because gluten can affect behaviour. Kind of naive to say it is just an adult symptom. My assistant's grandchild is the same age and you could be describing him. And not just moving, this kid is destructive and will hit others in frustration. He's so bad that the daycare she works for told her he needed to shape up or she couldn't bring him back. Now she has 3 other boys and none of them act this way. I remembered how my sweet little niece would go berseck sometimes and my sister discovered it was due to red dye. The boy's mother already knew red dye didn't sit well. He would always vomit up the "pink" medicine he was given. When I heard this, I said." You already know he's allergic from the vomitting. Why not just take him off it completely and see what happens?"

Well, you guessed it. He's off red dye and a completely different child. He went from a child no one would take care of alone or even ride in the car with, to a very patient happy boy. And they also discovered his brother who has had skin rashed and breakouts all his life, cleared up when the red dye was out of his system. They had been going through an elimination diet with his allergist.

So, the gluten could still be an issue but don't hesitate to look at the dye issue. There is plently of info on the web about it.

Lovemy4babies Rookie

I'm not trying to disctract you because gluten can affect behaviour. Kind of naive to say it is just an adult symptom. My assistant's grandchild is the same age and you could be describing him. And not just moving, this kid is destructive and will hit others in frustration. He's so bad that the daycare she works for told her he needed to shape up or she couldn't bring him back. Now she has 3 other boys and none of them act this way. I remembered how my sweet little niece would go berseck sometimes and my sister discovered it was due to red dye. The boy's mother already knew red dye didn't sit well. He would always vomit up the "pink" medicine he was given. When I heard this, I said." You already know he's allergic from the vomitting. Why not just take him off it completely and see what happens?"

Well, you guessed it. He's off red dye and a completely different child. He went from a child no one would take care of alone or even ride in the car with, to a very patient happy boy. And they also discovered his brother who has had skin rashed and breakouts all his life, cleared up when the red dye was out of his system. They had been going through an elimination diet with his allergist.

So, the gluten could still be an issue but don't hesitate to look at the dye issue. There is plently of info on the web about it.

Thanks! I actually started this search looking up Candida and red dye! Definatly something there with both of them. He has quite a few syptoms of celiacs (big belly, runny nose, behavior problems, anemic, diarreah, eczema) so I figure we will try this first, if not, then I am going to try the diet anyway, then go on to either yeast or red dye!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sugarsue Enthusiast
Thanks! I actually started this search looking up Candida and red dye! Definatly something there with both of them. He has quite a few syptoms of celiacs (big belly, runny nose, behavior problems, anemic, diarreah, eczema) so I figure we will try this first, if not, then I am going to try the diet anyway, then go on to either yeast or red dye!

I noticed the red dye with my 7 yr old before going gluten free. It made her totally nuts and out of control. After we went gluten free, we now find that she can tolerate the dyes as long as she does not OD on it. She also had a Candida problem that we had to treat as well. All very helpful things to address!

The Kids Folks Apprentice

I would definitely say that gluten can change a person's behavior regardless of the age of the person. I went gluten free with my son in Oct 08 and my husband has noticed a huge difference in me. We now know that there is a difference in our son as well, when he is glutened he tends to have many more outbursts, ends up crying and door slamming at all of us, and telling us that life is really really hard. Well after a bit, when he has calmed down enough for us to actually talk to him without him yelling at us, he will "remember" that he ate something at school at mom or dad didn't pack. So yes, gluten can change an easy going 7yo into a screaming crazed child!!

We have also noticed a difference in our 4 yo DD that is now also gluten free - she was dealing with years of GERD - she is now one happy kiddo!

I would say, if you can go gluten free for family I would definitely do it!

The Kids Folks :D

kaiess Contributor
I would definitely say that gluten can change a person's behavior regardless of the age of the person. I went gluten free with my son in Oct 08 and my husband has noticed a huge difference in me. We now know that there is a difference in our son as well, when he is glutened he tends to have many more outbursts, ends up crying and door slamming at all of us, and telling us that life is really really hard. Well after a bit, when he has calmed down enough for us to actually talk to him without him yelling at us, he will "remember" that he ate something at school at mom or dad didn't pack. So yes, gluten can change an easy going 7yo into a screaming crazed child!!

We have also noticed a difference in our 4 yo DD that is now also gluten free - she was dealing with years of GERD - she is now one happy kiddo!

I would say, if you can go gluten free for family I would definitely do it!

The Kids Folks :D

I am SOOOOOOOOOO glad to hear this! Our son is in the process of being diagnosed. He also has type 1 diabetes which is hard enough on him as it is. We decided that our whole family would go gluten free. My daughter, 5, does not have Celiac (that we know of yet, haven't had test results back yet) but she has extreme behavior like you have mentioned. I'm hoping that going gluten-free will change her behavior. If not, we'll go back to a normal diet, but I am so glad to hear you said it made a huge change for your family :)

Kathy

Archived