This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Signs In Infants? Poo Question!

Lovemy4babies

Lovemy4babies Rookie

I have an 8 month old son also and was wondering signs in infants. He is small, 5th percentile, so not off the charts, but slowly moving to the lower end. He also is getting eczema on him like my other son does, although not as bad yet. He has the weirdest poop though, and I am not sure what it is. He is breastfed, and it is the yellow, and it is runny (normal? cant remember!) but it has weird stringyness in it alot. He is not on table foods consistantly yet (like 3 times a day, this time every day, ect) but he does eat them sometimes. At least once every few days. I just changed his diaper and yesterday he had some bread and a cookie (it was easter, people were giving him whatever!) and today his poop looks like this again. Its a very very odd slimy stringy texture. I know this may sound strange, but I did take pictures, so if anyone with a infant with celiacs knows what it should look like, Ill send one lol. Anyone know about this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bear6954 Apprentice

When my son was that age, he would have mucas in his poop a lot. His poop was also acidic and burn his bottom. He had constant diaper rash. As he got older and ate more gluten, his symptoms got worse. I was looking at pictures of my son when he was about that age and my son was real chubby. However, his stomach was very large at that time. My son also pooped a lot - abouy 5-9 times a day. It seems that each person reacts differently to gluten. So what might be symptoms in my son are completely different in another person. Does celiac run in your family?

ang1e0251 Contributor

Are his stools mucousy like that when you eat gluten and he doesn't? It can pass through breast milk, I understand.

Pattymom Newbie

My dd, my fourth, also had weired BMs. They were yellow and liquid whichis normal, but they smelled really bad, which is not, and had the gooey mucousy strings in it when I ate gluten. When I stopped eating t, they smelledlike normla yogurty breastmilk poop and without the gooey bits. At this point, she was only exposed through breastmilk.

You could stop eating it yourself and see what happens.

Patty

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Both of kids poo look just like what you are explaining. Even after I stopped breast feeding it did not improve. Of course no one ever mentioned Celiac 30 years ago, lactose intolerance yes, not nothing about gluten. Now that Celiac is better know, I am Celiac, both my kids, I'm sure my father is and my brother's family is thinking of being tested.

lizajane Rookie

my son had similar icky poop. we have no confirmed gluten intolerance- his test at the time came back negative for celiac. but he DID test positive for a dairy allergy, which later made him vomit. so i would check dairy and gluten.

JennyC Enthusiast

My son was breastfed and had similar poop. It was yellow, liquid with mucous and what looked like tobacco threads in it and VERY STINKY. He would also spit up all the time. He has celiac disease and no allergies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
jryanbass Newbie
When my son was that age, he would have mucas in his poop a lot. His poop was also acidic and burn his bottom. He had constant diaper rash. As he got older and ate more gluten, his symptoms got worse. I was looking at pictures of my son when he was about that age and my son was real chubby. However, his stomach was very large at that time. My son also pooped a lot - abouy 5-9 times a day. It seems that each person reacts differently to gluten. So what might be symptoms in my son are completely different in another person. Does celiac run in your family?

What type of test did you do for your LO? He sounds just like mine! My little boy is 17 months, and 26 pounds. He has horrible acidic poo that ranges from clay colored and thick to diarrhea. He goes 5-10 times a day and has a constant bleeding rash. He too has a large distended belly and all tests for GI things such as Salmonella have come back negative.

bear6954 Apprentice

My sons celiac panel blood test was negative, but his liver emzymes were through the roof. We got a referral to a ped GI dr and just by looking at rays body and what was happening he dx him with celiacs. We still did dna - positive and positive biopsy. Once we went gluten free almost all of the pooping and rashes went away. Now, if my son eats too much sugar or fat he gets acidic poop. It still happens with dairy also. We really limit dairy and only allow my son to have about 8 oz of koolaid a day. I also started him on a probiotic called Rhino Powder POS & Acidophilus. He has been on it for about 3 weeks or so. But in that time, his bloating has gone down and he can eat more fat and more sugar before the poop burns his bottom. I kept a very (still do) detailed list of what he eats, when, amount, when he poops and what it looks like. I also write down if acid reflux is bothering him and what and how much he drinks. It helped me figure out tha to much dairy, fat or sugar still bothers his body! I hope this helps.

GottaSki Mentor

At 18 months my grandson went gluten-free when my docs pinpointed possible Celiac Disease for me. He has had a variety of food allergies the entire time he was breastfed. He has not been diagnosed, but after going gluten-free his poop was solid for the first time in his life.

Archived