This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Probiotic "align"

LandonL

LandonL Contributor

does anyone take the probiotic called "align" is this an ok probiotic to take with celiac disease, and is it ok to take a probiotic everyday, or should they only be taken if your taking antibiotics?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mrs. Smith Explorer

I personally believe probiotics are really vital to intestinal health. I take tons of them a day. If you have celiac your intestine probably isnt making them very well and you may need to supplement. Enteric-coated are going to implant better. Jarro is the premier brand of probiotics and they are shelf stable so no refrigeration necessary. I have met alot of people at the natural food store I worked at who swear by them. Interestingly, if you were not breastfed they are further beneficial.

LandonL Contributor
I personally believe probiotics are really vital to intestinal health. I take tons of them a day. If you have celiac your intestine probably isnt making them very well and you may need to supplement. Enteric-coated are going to implant better. Jarro is the premier brand of probiotics and they are shelf stable so no refrigeration necessary. I have met alot of people at the natural food store I worked at who swear by them. Interestingly, if you were not breastfed they are further beneficial.

are probiotics like other pills, does taking them everyday affect your liver? I thought taking pills is hard on your liver?

Mrs. Smith Explorer
are probiotics like other pills, does taking them everyday affect your liver? I thought taking pills is hard on your liver?

Not that I know of. I think thats just medicines. It should be dissolved in your stomach and intestine. I dont think its like that for vitamins. You could drink them, they have kefir, yogurt and other foods with naturally occuring bacteria. IE: miso, kim-chee,. There is also powdered forms available. You could open the capsules into smoothies if you want. I really think if you take pills in capsule form they should never reach your liver. Once they are in your stomach they are dissolved.

LandonL Contributor
Not that I know of. I think thats just medicines. It should be dissolved in your stomach and intestine. I dont think its like that for vitamins. You could drink them, they have kefir, yogurt and other foods with naturally occuring bacteria. IE: miso, kim-chee,. There is also powdered forms available. You could open the capsules into smoothies if you want. I really think if you take pills in capsule form they should never reach your liver. Once they are in your stomach they are dissolved.

just didn't know, cause you know how they advise against taking to much aspirin or too many other pills, cause its hard on your liver, so i just assumed probiotic pills might be the same way and was a little hesitant about them.

Mrs. Smith Explorer
just didn't know, cause you know how they advise against taking to much aspirin or too many other pills, cause its hard on your liver, so i just assumed probiotic pills might be the same way and was a little hesitant about them.

Thats good. I am the same way. They would do good if your having trouble with digestion.

lizard00 Enthusiast

I took align for a few months and had no problems with it. You should take one a day.

Some probiotics are for the small intestine (like acidophilus), some for the large intestine (I believe Align is for the large intestine). As far as I know, they don't have to be broken down through your liver, because the probiotic stays in the intestine, and the only thing that has to be broken down is the capsule, which is usually broken down in the stomach.

It's not like a regular pill that has a lot of 'other' things that have to be broken down.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SalmonNationWoman Newbie

Physiologically, EVERYTHING you eat goes through the liver to be processed. It's called the Hepatic Portal (Veinous) System. ALL return blood flow from the SI, LI, Stomach, Pancreas, Spleen, Liver, all tissues and organs below the diaphragm and contained in the left side of the chest, pass through the HPS on its way back to the Heart before it's circulated as nutrient/ O2 rich blood in the arteries.

Probiotics and their effects don't remain isolated to the intestines. Nutrients, toxins, and pathogens pass through the intestinal wall (villi and crypts). In a healthy SI, only smaller molecules the immune system recognizes as "safe" are allowed to pass into the bloodstream. These molecules go straight to the liver, where enzymatic pathways process them. The difference comes in when you digest a food or supplement that benefits v. burdens your emzymatic pathways. In Celiacs, larger molecules pass through and trigger the immune response, leading to all the auto-immune symptoms. Anything that aids the breakdown of ingestates to the smaller "safe" molecules, like probiotics, relieves the burden on the liver's enzymatic pathways. Conversely, alcohol and many drugs alter the permeability of the crypts and villi and that places greater burden on the liver.

This is a simplified explanation but I think everyone can see how the leaky gut aspects of Celiac are the pivotal concept.

Jestgar Rising Star
Physiologically, EVERYTHING you eat goes through the liver to be processed. It's called the Hepatic Portal (Veinous) System. ALL return blood flow from the SI, LI, Stomach, Pancreas, Spleen, Liver, all tissues and organs below the diaphragm and contained in the left side of the chest, pass through the HPS on its way back to the Heart before it's circulated as nutrient/ O2 rich blood in the arteries.

Probiotics and their effects don't remain isolated to the intestines. Nutrients, toxins, and pathogens pass through the intestinal wall (villi and crypts). In a healthy SI, only smaller molecules the immune system recognizes as "safe" are allowed to pass into the bloodstream. These molecules go straight to the liver, where enzymatic pathways process them. The difference comes in when you digest a food or supplement that benefits v. burdens your emzymatic pathways. In Celiacs, larger molecules pass through and trigger the immune response, leading to all the auto-immune symptoms. Anything that aids the breakdown of ingestates to the smaller "safe" molecules, like probiotics, relieves the burden on the liver's enzymatic pathways. Conversely, alcohol and many drugs alter the permeability of the crypts and villi and that places greater burden on the liver.

This is a simplified explanation but I think everyone can see how the leaky gut aspects of Celiac are the pivotal concept.

Please post your sources so that others can look these things up if they want more information.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

I really like align. Although, I don't know if this is related, but I stopped taking them for 2 months, and my stomach was sick almost every day! It was horrible. I just got back on them again 2 weeks ago, feeling a little more normalized. Don't know if that was the cause, but I definitely feel better when I'm on them.

SalmonNationWoman Newbie
Please post your sources so that others can look these things up if they want more information.

Read Guyton's, Marieb's, Fox's or any other advanced physiology text. You can find them on Amazon.

CORRECTION- I've been dealing with a sinus infection so mental faculties are not as sharp. The HPS (hepatic portal system) receives blood from all the digestive/elimiation and reproductive organs. I erred in including the left side of the chest. It's the left side of lymphatic system that drains everything below the diaphragm and the the left side of the chest, neck and head. Only the right chest, neck and head drains through the right side lymph system. THIS IS NOT THE DETAILED DESCRIPTION.

• 4 years later...
dzrtrz Newbie

I had a better improvements on Florastor. 

dzrtrz Newbie

Here is a link that says Align is gluten-free:

Open Original Shared Link

GF Lover Rising Star

Here is a link that says Align is gluten-free:

Open Original Shared Link

dzrtrz,  You have responded to a member who has not been active since May 2009.   The member will not see your post.

Colleen

surviormom Rookie

Me too.

Archived