This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Making The Switch To Gluten-free

Wispyshadow

Wispyshadow Rookie

Well we are still waiting for test results and all testing to be completed but if we do have to make sure my daughter is not being exposed to gluten is it best to just make the home gluten-free or just try to seperate her foods and cooking things from the others?

I'm leaning on just making our house a gluten-free house and treating it just as a house that someone with a peanut allergy lives in, "No Gluten Allowed:)"

I've heard that the dust from flours can remain airborne for quite some time and I love to bake.

Do I need to replace my pots and pans and cooking equipment and what about dishes? Do I need to somewhat start over with my kitchen supplies because most of the things I have are old and some are scratched and a couple of the plates finishes have little cracks in them on the edges from the dishwasher.

Anyone have any suggestions for a smooth transition?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Hello

Any scratched pots & pans or utensils will need to be replaced...wooden spoons , plastics, anything porous needs to be replaced. Toaster, mixer, bread maker & things like that.. there is no way to clean gluten from the mixer vents or a toaster.

I at times still use reg flour to bake for family who are not gluten-free .... I keep this reg. flour in my basement cupboard & triple bagged... When I bake or mix up using wheat flour I do it in the garage with door open or else if it is nice weather I do it out on my deck. I do not mix in my kitchen. I also store my old appliances in the basement for the couple times a year when I use wheat flour. This has become less & less since ther are so many great gluten-free recipes available that almost everyone will eat the gluten-free goodie.... years ago when only rice flour was available things were not so tasty.. This is a great time to be gluten-free with so many choices & recipes......

I slowly replaced my appliances by asking for new ones for gifts for my birthday & holidays.

hth Good Luck

blessings

mamaw

linsmad Rookie

In addition to the previous suggestions...I would also add a colander and anything teflon or non-stick. Those surfaces are pourous and despite many cleanings I was unable to clean it enough. Hope this helps!

cbear6301 Explorer

I have been trying to read in books, and online exactly how to clean the gluten off? Is there a way or do we really need to throw everything away? I am blown away by this.. I had no idea. Can someone explain or point me to the right direction on understanding this?

thank you.

samcarter Contributor
I have been trying to read in books, and online exactly how to clean the gluten off? Is there a way or do we really need to throw everything away? I am blown away by this.. I had no idea. Can someone explain or point me to the right direction on understanding this?

thank you.

It's my understanding that hot water and soap and a thorough cleaning (make sure you toss the dishcloths in the laundry afterwards) should be sufficient. The dishwasher, for any diswashable items, is also good, because it can get hotter than water out of the tap.

I have two colanders, one for gluten pasta and another for all non-gluten items (washing fruit, veggies, et cetera). Beyond that, I wash everything well or stick it in the dishwasher. I have four other people in the house, none of whom are gluten-free, so I gotta do what I can do with what I have. :) If you read "Gluten Free Living for Dummies" or "Gluten Free Cooking for Dummies" by Danna Korn, she and her son are gluten-free, but she doesn't keep a gluten-free kitchen. Instead, she outlines very good ways to avoid cross-contamination, and cleaning advice, and whatnot.

cbear6301 Explorer

Ok. I was starting to freak out because my family is not gluten free, just me and we really don't have the money to throw everything away and start over. I can breath now.. thank you. This is so scary and complicated. I do have both of those books and neither stated throwing everything away so I just wasn't sure. I want to do what is right and heathly for me..

thank you.

It's my understanding that hot water and soap and a thorough cleaning (make sure you toss the dishcloths in the laundry afterwards) should be sufficient. The dishwasher, for any diswashable items, is also good, because it can get hotter than water out of the tap.

I have two colanders, one for gluten pasta and another for all non-gluten items (washing fruit, veggies, et cetera). Beyond that, I wash everything well or stick it in the dishwasher. I have four other people in the house, none of whom are gluten-free, so I gotta do what I can do with what I have. :) If you read "Gluten Free Living for Dummies" or "Gluten Free Cooking for Dummies" by Danna Korn, she and her son are gluten-free, but she doesn't keep a gluten-free kitchen. Instead, she outlines very good ways to avoid cross-contamination, and cleaning advice, and whatnot.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I did not replace my mixers or bread machine, just thoroughly cleaned them. But if anyone is still having symptoms, you need to look at these again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizajane Rookie
I did not replace my mixers or bread machine, just thoroughly cleaned them. But if anyone is still having symptoms, you need to look at these again.

i threw up every time i was exposed to any gluten- which is how i was diagnosed. (my GI said that i was just teetering on the edge for so long, that i finally fell off and that is when the vomiting started.) the day i went gluten free, the vomiting stopped immediately. and i did not do anything special to my cooking/baking items. my kitchen is not yet gluten free- mostly because i want to use up the wheat items instead of tossing them- and i have not had a cross contamination issue. that said, my GI did say that my biopsy indicated that i may have "mild celiac" or simply "gluten intolerance and not celiac" but i had to be totally gluten free either way. so it is possible that i have been exposed, but just didn't react.

and FWIW, my son is 4 and i suspect he has gluten intolerance. we took him gluten free on monday of this week and he slept all night last night (wed) for the first time in MONTHS. he hasn't ever slept all night consistently in all his 4 years. he may just need a gluten-light diet (his blood test was negative as a baby) or he may also be fine with the cooking/baking items like me.

Archived