This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frustrated!

Ems1984

Ems1984 Rookie

I decided to go gluten-free after my mum was told she was gluten-intolerant. we both have IBS related synptoms. the worst for me is the gas and bloating, sometimes its soo bad i cant stand up.

anyway, i've been gluten-free for 2 weeks today (have prob stuffed up two or three times tho). i felt pretty good for the first week and a half, but the last two days have been horrible. ive had shocking gas, diarrhea and bloating but am fairly confident i havent had any gluten.

i really just want an answer, im happy to give up anything in order for these symptoms to go away! ive also eliminated lactose from my diet to see if that is also a problem. i know that other foods can cause gas (such as beans and brocolli) but the severity of my symptoms suggests it was more than just a few gas-causing foods...

so how long should it take to see improvements if it is gluten that is causing these symptoms?

should i assume by now that im not gluten-intolerant if the symptoms came on without me eating anything bad??

definately appreciate any help or answers!!

Em :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

I saw some improvement within a week, but my symptoms were severe, and the damage to my villi substantial. Things continued to improve over time, and I would say that things were close to "normal" after about three months.

Recovery time varies based on a number of factors, including the degree of damage, the age of the patient, and the length of time the untreated condition existed.

Consider giving up dairy, at least in the early stages. The symptoms you describe could be from lactose intolerance. Temporary lactose intolerance is common in recovering celiacs. You don't notice it when the gluten reaction is also there, but when the gluten is removed, the lactose issue moves into first place. The enzyme needed to digest lactose (milk sugar), lactase, is produced in the tips of the villi. Until the villi heal, there will be a lactase deficiency and thus a lactose intolerance.

Be patient. It takes time.

Lisa Mentor

Welcome Em,

Mastering the gluten free diet can be very complicating in the beginning. Perhaps you can keep a food diary. Have you checked your meds, lotions, vitamines, shampoo. Scratched pots and pans can transfer gluten, a shared toaster can do the same.

Have you considered testing? If so, you must continue to eat gluten for the optimun in accuracy.

Please do not accept IBS as a diagnosis. Continue to seek a cause. It could be something as simple as a slow moving digestive system. I recall having gas pains so strong that I would black out, many many years before Celiac became an issue.

Good luck.

Leper Messiah Apprentice

I'm sort of experiencing the same, at times I thought it can't be gluten as I was getting the same symptoms but I guess it takes time for your body to both adjust and heal.

Re. Momma Goose - I never even considered non-food items and small scale cross contamination, can a gluten intolerance be that sensitive? Was that your experience?

one more mile Contributor

When you gave up the Gluten what did you add to your diet?

I found that I had added a ton of soy and that gave me runs and gas really bad. Perhaps what you added to replace the gluten is reacting bad.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I don't really distinguish the sensitivity of celiac disease and gluten intolerance as being different. I've read too many personal accounts here where people with both have severe reactions. And both groups seem to have certain folks who are ultra sensitive.

Dairy is a good point. Those are some of the symptoms I experience with dairy. The other possiblity is cross contamination or a new food sensitivity. Try cutting the dairy as recommended and also look for sneaky gluten.

nora-n Rookie

What did you add instead of gluten?

As you heal , you might find you react to eve tiny amounts of gluten contamination. Some gluten is quite hidden. Some is tricky, for example malt flavouring has a lot of gluten, and being in a kitchen where someone else has baked ordinary bread is way too much for many, me included.

In the beginning I also reacted to mustard and sweet bell peppers, but I tolerate them again like before all that now.

nora

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ems1984 Rookie

thanks for all your responses! i feel so encouraged being able to talk with people who have some understanding of how this all works!

i have been recording what i have been eating and also how my body has been reacting. i do think my increase in soy could be the cause of some of my latest symptoms...

but yes, will keep at it for a few more weeks!

prayin4achange Newbie
In the beginning I also reacted to mustard and sweet bell peppers, but I tolerate them again like before all that now.

nora

Hey Nora. I have two questions. Firstly, I love mustand and bell peppers and eat them a lot. Do you know why you'd have a reaction to them?? Also, I was diagnoised with hypothyroid last year and also had borderline number. You said that the thyroxine first started to work well on a low-carb and gluten-free diet. I also realize I feel much better digestively on low-carb but I also feel very light headed and tired. Can you please give me an idea of how you did this diet? Any ideas will be SOOO appreciated. Thank u!!

jenn

Archived