This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cheap Option For gluten-free Battered Meats.

MisoSushi

MisoSushi Newbie

I've been lurking around these message boards using them to help find safe options for eating and I decided to share a gem that I just discovered!

So my grandmother told me about this thing that a lot of churches participate in that allows anyone that wants to get cheap good food to order it in. I ordered about a week ago a 5 pound box of mixed battered meats sold as allergy free (including gluten and many things that people seem to also be allergic to) for 25 bucks. I picked it up today, everything came as promised and I fried up some chicken nuggets, first time I've had a breaded meat since I started this diet. They were tasty.

The program that you can order this (and other things like fresh fruits and veggies and other meats) is:

Open Original Shared Link

They deliver the food once a month to local churches, I searched and found I had two in my city participating. No you don't have to be in a financial crunch to use it, and no you don't have to be a member of the church.

The company that's providing this particular food item incase you want to verify that it's allergy safe (I didn't find out till I got my box) is:

Open Original Shared Link

I checked out of curiosity on the prices on that site and they charge 40 bucks for a 4 pound box plus shipping! I normally stick to regular food since trying to find gluten-free alternatives usually ends up being way to pricey, and I'm too lazy to try and make a batter myself (im a busy 22 year old, who used to microwave everything, I think I've made progress upgrading to the stove :P.)

I'm hoping that other people can benefit from this price and encourage them to continue offering an allergy free deal from the demand (they just added the allergy free option).

I'll be around and try to answer any questions about my experiences with the program or product. I plan on ordering 2 boxes next time and maybe from fruits and veggies since they looked just as good if not better then the stuff at my local grocery.

-Chris

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wildwood Apprentice

Thanks so much for posting this. I checked the link and there is an Angel Food Ministry in my town. I am going to stop on my lunch hour Wednesday to place an order. The gluten free breaded chicken I occasionally buy in the store is so expensive. I can't wait for my daughter to try this. Thanks!!!!!

Silly Yak Pete Rookie

Even though my favorites are still the Bell & Evans I used to buy there chicken nuggets at Stop & Shop but i no longer am finding them there? I just wrote the company to see where i can purcase them in person cause the food was tasty and more affordable.

latteda Apprentice

We order meat from Angel Food! I was SO excited when I saw that they are offering an allergen-free package. I can't wait to order it!

MisoSushi Newbie
We order meat from Angel Food! I was SO excited when I saw that they are offering an allergen-free package. I can't wait to order it!

I've been debating on trying their other meats... I doubt it's as cheap as me looking for marked down meat at the supermarket.

one more mile Contributor

I have been ordering from them for two months. I get the allergy box and my roommate gets the regular order and the extra meat box. We are both delighted with what we received. I have to watch how much rice I eat and the batter is rice based but even with eating the allergy free meats about 4 times a week I had almost a months worth of meat for one.

The other meats come frozen individually sealed in air tight plastic wrap. So freezer burn is not a problem. The Steaks were really good.

Either way it is a good deal and a great way to stretch the food dollar. Their motto is that if you eat you qualify.

latteda Apprentice
I've been debating on trying their other meats... I doubt it's as cheap as me looking for marked down meat at the supermarket.

It may not be, especially if there is no one in your household to take advantage of the glutenous food that comes with the other packages. I'm ok with there being gluten-laden food in the house as long as I don't eat it, so my family takes advantage of the cookies, processed meats, etc. that are usually included in the packages.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived