This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

G-f National Restaurants?

Jenbirds

Jenbirds Rookie

Other than Olive Garden, Outback Steakhouse, Carrabba's, Swiss Chalet (soon to close in my area) and UNO Pizzeria, I am unable to locate any national restaurant chains that "comfortably" provide gluten-free offerings. I've learned that Chili's, Applebee's and TGIFriday's are not comfortable attaching nutritional information to their menus, because in most cases, they cannot verify the origin/background of their vendors' product.

Does anyone know of other national chain restaurants that offers gluten-free menu items?

PS - PF Chang's is coming to our area soon, which I hear is gluten-free friendly!

Gluten-free since March 2008; positive endoscopy and bloodwork March 2008 due to low calcium and Vitamin D levels; osteopenia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rondar2001 Apprentice

We have had good experiences at both Chili's and Montana's here in Canada. Swiss Chalet is our usual place to eat out though and haven't had any problems there.

Is Olive Garden gluten free?

Jenbirds Rookie

According to their website, Olive Garden does offer gluten-free selections from their menu. Here's a link to learn more - you have to click on the "gluten-free" tab halffway down the page. I haven't been there yet to try them out as Gluten-free.

Open Original Shared Link

Salax Contributor

Just a warning about Olive Garden. I ate there and got glutened. They are clueless about cross contamination. My server gave me the gluten free menu and still after telling them not use shared grill space or tongs/spoons etc..I still saw him use the same serving fork with my co-worker whom I was having lunch with, then proceeded to dig into my dish with it. I was dumbstruck and very mad. :angry:

Just be carefull.

teacherkd Apprentice
Just a warning about Olive Garden. I ate there and got glutened. They are clueless about cross contamination. My server gave me the gluten free menu and still after telling them not use shared grill space or tongs/spoons etc..I still saw him use the same serving fork with my co-worker whom I was having lunch with, then proceeded to dig into my dish with it. I was dumbstruck and very mad. :angry:

Just be carefull.

Get the manager if the server doesn't get it and, also, a small information card usually helps. You also may want to tell them it's sort of like a peanut allergy-- it's not, really, I know, but it certainly gets people's attention since most restaurant managers hear "lawsuit waiting to happen" if you say "peanut allergy."

teacherkd Apprentice
Other than Olive Garden, Outback Steakhouse, Carrabba's, Swiss Chalet (soon to close in my area) and UNO Pizzeria, I am unable to locate any national restaurant chains that "comfortably" provide gluten-free offerings. I've learned that Chili's, Applebee's and TGIFriday's are not comfortable attaching nutritional information to their menus, because in most cases, they cannot verify the origin/background of their vendors' product.

Does anyone know of other national chain restaurants that offers gluten-free menu items?

PS - PF Chang's is coming to our area soon, which I hear is gluten-free friendly!

Gluten-free since March 2008; positive endoscopy and bloodwork March 2008 due to low calcium and Vitamin D levels; osteopenia

I actually had a very nice experience at Buffalo Wild Wings tonight. They suggested the naked chicken tenders with a side salad, no croutons, and sauce on the side-- if they spin them they get glutenated from the container-- and they used a clean grill, though this was not hard since we ate early. The naked tenders garden salad is also okay. I was pleasantly surprised they pulled it off without a hitch.

jcford33 Rookie

I've had good luck at Logan's Roadhouse. They recently added a gluten-free menu (not on website...have to ask for it) and seem up to speed on CC problems.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

heathen Apprentice

I've had good luck at Mimi's Cafe (they have a gluten-free menu), but I'm not sure how wide-spread they are. PF Changs is amazing. Carino's has a gluten-free menu online, and I've had pretty good luck. I just tell people "wheat allergy." They tend to be more careful when they think I"m going to drop dead of suffocation in front of them. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
ginafur77 Newbie

Chilis, Longhorn Steakhouse, Pasta House, all have gluten free menus and I have had good experiences at all of them. In Southern IL and St Louis area of MO.

debmidge Rising Star

Had good experience at Legal Seafoods. gluten-free menu and manager intervenes with kitchen on your behalf. They serve gluten-free rolls (but rolls contain soy flour, onion and garlic - if that's important for you to know).

latteda Apprentice

P.F. Chang's has been my best experience. Do you have a Macaroni Grill near you? I've had good experiences with them, as well.

redgf Rookie

I meet my hubby at z pizza regularly, as long as I call ahead they always make me a gluten-free pizza! I will tell you it's definitely not comparable to the pizza I used to make at my own shop I ran, but I figure I can't complain - I get to eat at a restaurant that has never contaminated me and enjoy a lunch with my hubby and kids! They do have a number of toppings, and the staff seem to really get it about cc and gluten. I am uber sensitive and have yet to have any issues eating there! I have had numerous issues at Chili's btw, you really need to be careful everywhere! Good luck!

gaingus Rookie

I've had good luck with Wendy's (for fast food), I get the Chili and a Baked Potato and it fills me pretty good.

Love going to PF Chang's, I don't get the lost in the headlight look from them when I ask for the menu.

Red Lobster was a really good experience, make sure you get a manager. I ended up talking to the head chef and the grill master as to what they can do for me.

I don't know if you have one in your area, but we have a place called Pizza Fusion here (I know it is a chain just not sure how many there are). They deal in organic and gluten free foods. Their gluten free crusts are awesome, they have gluten free beers and a gluten free desert.

I have a three ring binder that I keep in my car on trips with printed out gluten free menus (it works great for road trips).

JBaby Enthusiast

I have eaten at Olive Garden with no isssues and i didnt ask for the grill to be cleaned. just stayed away from the breadsrticks. I have eaten at wendys and Eatn Park has a gluten free menu, going there tomorrow.

mamaw Community Regular

red robin, longhorn steakhouse, boston market, chili's, first watch, original pancake house

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

I have to second the endorsement on Pizza Fusion. I emailed them to ask about the handling of the gluten free pizza, and this was their response:

Hello Nicole,

Thank you for your interest in Pizza Fusion! We take the safe preparation of gluten free pizza very seriously, and instill that care and attention to detail in our franchisees and employees as well. We have the crust prepared off-site in a designated gluten free facility, and each crust is individually wrapped to prevent cross contamination in the restaurant. We use separate, designated gluten free utensils and pizza toppings to make the pizza, and even cook the final product on a designated gluten free shelf in our oven. We do our best to prevent any chance of cross contamination in our restaurants, and have had local Celiac Society leaders in Florida tour our kitchens to help us streamline the process and make it as safe as possible. I hope that you enjoy your visit to our San Luis Obispo location when it opens next month, and please let me know if i can answer any other questions you may have about our products or our concept. Thanks again for your interest in Pizza Fusion!

Best Regards,

--

Ashley Rathgeber

~ Artisan of All Things Organic ~

I spoke to my local Pizza Fusion owner, and he said that the person responsible for making gluten free pizza changes his or her apron, steps into a separate room, scrubs their arms up to their elbows to ensure that gluten doesn't get onto the gluten-free pizza, and then they use a gluten-free utensil to place the pizza in a separate part of the oven that is only for gluten-free pizza. I've never had a single problem with cross contamination there. They charge an extra fee for the gluten-free pizza ($5 in Florida, $8 in California), but it's a price I'm willing to pay to have them treat my condition with such care.

jerseyangel Proficient

PF Changs is my hand down favorite. Their sister company, Pei Wei also has a small gluten-free menu, and the location I go to really understands the need to make the gluten-free foods in a separate area. I've also had good luck at Outback Steakhouse.

once and again Rookie

The Triumph Dining Guides are quite helpful. Visited the Phoenix area in March 2008 and only ate at places in the guide. Had some greaaaaat food - pizza and an interesting Cuban restaurant. Would not have known about the places without the guide.

teacherkd Apprentice
I've had good luck with Wendy's (for fast food), I get the Chili and a Baked Potato and it fills me pretty good.

Love going to PF Chang's, I don't get the lost in the headlight look from them when I ask for the menu.

Once I was reminded about Wendy's it didn't take me long to make it a favorite stop. It makes sense, too-- pretty difficult to glutenate a plain potato and the chili is pre-made so all they have to do is heat it, and the serving utensils are dedicated to those items.

As for PF Chang's, they're on my list for the next time I'm in Little Rock.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I had a positive experience at Bugaboo Creek recently. They have a Open Original Shared Link. The salmon is served on a single use cedar plank so I assumed the chance of CC was pretty low. The server happened to have gluten issues and she went out of her way to make sure everything was OK.

Archived