Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

latteda

What All Were You Tested For Before Celiac Diagnosis?

Eeesh. Doctors can be ignorant. Reading this thread, I wonder why this disease isn't emphasized more in medical school.

Oddly, it was the positive test results for other disorders that lead a doctor (after numerous referrals) to figure out it was celiac & run the panel.

Diagnoses/tests months before I was diagnosed as celiac:

- Thyroid (+ hypo then normal then + hyper)

No one knew whether to treat me for hypothyroid or hyperthyroid so we just let it fluctuate while hunting for other things.

- Gallbladder (+) with a 24% ejection fraction then after a few months gluten free my ejection fraction was 91%. I still had that nasty thing taken out though - too much pain. (My new GI said that Celaic disease can result in bile duct disorders and was the cause of my gallbladder & pancreas issues.)

- H Pylori (-)

- Ulcers (-)

- At one point, I was told I had IBS (I Be Stumped IMHO)

- Rheumatoid Arthritis (+) yet this completely cleared up after going gluten free. I thought RH was a separate autoimmune disorder...

- Malnutrition/emaciated

Several years before being diagnosed with Celiac:

- Slightly anemic

- Lactose intolerant

- Vitamin B deficient

- Again with the thyroid

- Bulimic (by a university nurse who I TOLD NUMEROUS TIMES that I was not vomiting on purpose I couldn't hold food down and that's why I went to student health.) Then again, this is the same nurse who prescribed me cough syrup for asthma attacks. Seriously. What the hell?

- "The flu" (Student health again.) Who has the flu intermittently for ten months? During my last semester, I had "the flu" for a month straight and wound up being medically withdrawn against my will. (I lived in student housing & was labeled a risk to the university since I couldn't hold food down and was frequently passing out.)

- Asthma when I was a child that worsened until I required 5 daily meds & a "rescue" inhaler (albuterol and/or xopenex). I also had a nebulizer at home. Now I only take singulair. No asthma attacks. None! I never expected Celiac could contribute to or worsen asthma.

After being diagnosed with Celiac:

- osteoporosis & osteopoenia. Another one I don't understand. Apparently, my bone density varies throughout my body? My old GI left a vague message on my voice mail saying I had osteoporosis & to take 1.5g of calcium with Vit D per day. I ordered my records but I don't understand what the different bone-density values mean. (Well, I suppose my new GI will give me his opinion when I head back this week. It took awhile for the records to arrive. Hopefully, it's just osteopoenia....

- Now looking into bile-duct disorders since having my gallbladder taken out.... I'm still having pain issues. Yet, it immediately solved the throwing-up-bile problem that surfaced a few days before I had surgery.

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

I have issues with cow milk and corn . There are some similarties , but some unique differences for me- symptom wise. Both cause muscle aches and back pain for me. Joint issues as well. Cow milk can cause my GI tract to come to a...
    You definitely look like you are positive on blood work.  For reference, my TTG IgA was 8 , when 1-3 is normal. That's considered weak as well.  Then I had the biopsy and was marsh 3b  After a week of gluten-free diet they di...
    It is amazing that your are seeing these results.  Great news!  I am awaiting biopsy results from my endoscopy to see if there is some sort of allergic reaction going on.  I guess if they don't find anything in my esophagus they will nee...