This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Swine Flu & Celiac

foodiegurl

foodiegurl Collaborator

I would like to think the media is blowing this out of proportion, and I am being an alarmist, but I can't help but worry :(

So, the fact that we have celiac...does this mean, that we have compromised immune systems and will be more likely to contract something like this, and if we do, it will be more difficult to fight this off, than a "normal" person?

Just curious. Though, I sure hope we don't have to worry about this.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

oceangirl Collaborator

Hi. We need to be concerned as we are overdue for a pandemic flu. Although, having read quite a bit on the 1918 flu (considered the world's worst) ; it is of note (and more concerning) that it appears that in that flu (as with this one as playing out in Mexico) the young were most at risk due to what is known (I think ) as a "cytokine storm"- that is, because youths' immune systems were so robust they actually caused an OVERACTIVE immune response that led to more deaths in the young.

Don't panic, but pay attention. We need to be smart and well-informed. If you or your children are ill with fever and flu-like symptoms, don't go to work or school (something I think Americans might not be good at doing unless they are mandated to do so.) and contact your physician.

Take care,

lisa

YoloGx Rookie

My experience is that by staying on diet and avoiding all trace glutens I actually am more resistant to colds and flu than the average person--whereas previously it was just the opposite. Just to make sure, I think its wise for anyone who wants to be even healthier to go off all grains and sugars and additives for a while. You will be glad you did plus it will make you even more resistant.

Bea

rumbles Newbie

Smart and well informed is exactly what we need to be!

Since going gluten free, I almost never get sick anymore, - in four

years I've gotten sick twice, and both times I was when I was trying

to recover from accidental glutenings. (Before going gluten-free, I caught

whatever went around, - usually two to three times a year.)

Best of health, to all of us!

sickchick Community Regular

From what I have heard everyone who got it had normal flu symptoms, nothing exaggerated.

(Last year I got the flu after I had only been gluten free for about 6 months and it got me bad -I fainted when I was getting up to vomit and pushed open my bathroom door and then landed on the floor with my head in the waste basket, but this year I am feeling healthier and stronger and I am taking extra-very minimal precautions)

Just wash your hands after going to the store, and wash your door knobs once a week, just to keep germs & bacterias to a minimum. Make sure to wash 20 second each time. Keep lotion nearby cause it will dry out your hands. Wipe off things you touch, you phone, remotes, keyboard & mouse, cell phone, telephone, light switches, toilet handle. In your car, steering wheel, gear shifter... Just plain hydrogen peroxide will work! :) Cheap too. Pour some on a rag when you are disinfecting...

And don't panic! HAHA

lovelove

mushroom Proficient

I am a bit more concerned than the average gal. While my immune system has improved heaps since going gluten free, I am now taking Humira, which suppresses it. My rheumy told me it would not make me more likely to catch something but if I did catch it I would have a harder time fighting it off. I am bringing my Tamiflu with me in June. :)

debmidge Rising Star

So does that mean that Tamiflu is Gluten Free?

So is the other medication used for flu (like Tamiflu) gluten free?

I am very scared of this one...never before been scared of flu outbreaks before, but this one

unnerves me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tim-n-VA Contributor

I seem to recall reading that in the 1918 flu outbreak most of the deaths were the result of secondary infections. Penicillin wasn't discovered until ten years later and I don't think antibiotics were a common treatment until WWII.

From my perspective that means this current flu is something to be aware of and to keep informed about but any comparisons to what happened in 1918 is probably unwarrented scare tactics.

oceangirl Collaborator

It IS very frightening. We need to pay attention. The other anti-viral that seems to be working is called "Relenza" (sp?) Not sure on gluten status of it or Tamiflu... maybe someone else will post.

lisa

oceangirl Collaborator

It is too early for them to know anything definitively and, no, they didn't have antibiotics in 1918, however, if you read about that flu (see John Barry's book) you'll find experts do know an over active immune response occurred making the young and hale more suceptible and that is important to note with a novel virus as this one is confirmed to be. No one is trying to scare anyone; but it's important be well-informed and realize the potential gravity of this situation otherwise we're flying with blinders on.

Oh yeah, and there was a suppression of information in 1918 regarding the emerging crisis that most experts feel didn't help things.

lisa

oceangirl Collaborator

"susceptible"- there, that's a word.

Gemini Experienced
I would like to think the media is blowing this out of proportion, and I am being an alarmist, but I can't help but worry :(

So, the fact that we have celiac...does this mean, that we have compromised immune systems and will be more likely to contract something like this, and if we do, it will be more difficult to fight this off, than a "normal" person?

Just curious. Though, I sure hope we don't have to worry about this.

Thanks.

People with Celiac Disease do not have compromised immune systems...they have overactive immune systems. A compromised immune system would fall into the category of HIV or people taking steroids or medications that make them weaker or less responsive to infection. The whole goal of going gluten-free is to calm our immune system down so it won't recognize normal body parts as invaders.

This whole flu thin has been so overblown, it's downright annoying. It's the flu and the vast majority of those who get the flu will recover just fine. You may feel like you're going to die while suffering from it but it's highly doubtful you will. The reason Mexicans are succumbing more so than Americans is because they do not receive vaccinations like we do at birth. Vaccinations, or some of them, protect you in more ways than you think. It also helps to protect you against other diseases and make them less deadly if you do get them. Mexicans also most likely have pretty sucky medical care, overall, compared to Americans and that may explain the problem of why many more die there than here.

Relax, wash your hands like you would normally do and use common sense around sick people.

And biggest advice of all? Shut off the news because it's filled with alarmist, drama queens who like to blow everything out of proportion. No wonder there is so much anxiety today! :huh:

jklatt Rookie
My experience is that by staying on diet and avoiding all trace glutens I actually am more resistant to colds and flu than the average person--whereas previously it was just the opposite. Just to make sure, I think its wise for anyone who wants to be even healthier to go off all grains and sugars and additives for a while. You will be glad you did plus it will make you even more resistant.

Bea

Bea---

I was actually just thinking the exact same thing! I think God works in amazing ways and now that I have been gluten free for about a month I am feeling so much better and am hoping that if this does evolve into a pandemic...I am better protected for being so diligent in my food choices!

njbeachbum Explorer

Yup, what Gemini said ;)

DingoGirl Enthusiast

I am in complete agreement with Gemini's post. The media just loves to blow things out of proportion, and it annoys me to no end. <_<

Before gluten removal (just over three years ago), I was sick constantly. At least every two months, a cold that turned into a sinus infection, or bronchitis or.....frequent strep throat.

Since gluten removal, I can't remember having a cold at all. I had a sore throat for half a day...and had the flu, once, which lasted 24 hours.

samcarter Contributor

I agree with Gemini. Remember bird flu? How people freaked out about that? Hmmm...no pandemic then, either.

My husband has lived in Mexico and remembers that the general health of the population is much poorer than that in the United States and Canada. Workers don't have sick leave; they go in to work sick. They get more rundown. Children don't have the regular pediatric visits or supportive health care. Or nutrition. They're just generally less healthy. This is not a slur on the people who live in Mexico, just an observation on the quality of life in the country in general.

The best thing you can do--that EVERYBODY should do--wash your hands when you come home. keep your doorknobs clean and lightswitches. If you feel sick, STAY HOME and rest, don't push yourself. Everybody who's gotten sick in the US has recovered. And most all of those people only got sick because they traveled to Mexico or had contact with somebody who had traveled there.

mushroom Proficient
I am in complete agreement with Gemini's post. The media just loves to blow things out of proportion, and it annoys me to no end. <_<

Before gluten removal (just over three years ago), I was sick constantly. At least every two months, a cold that turned into a sinus infection, or bronchitis or.....frequent strep throat.

Since gluten removal, I can't remember having a cold at all. I had a sore throat for half a day...and had the flu, once, which lasted 24 hours.

Yep, same goes for me, once I healed up a bit. I had a sniffle the other day and had almost forgotten what it was like and then I just took some C and blam, gone.

mushroom Proficient

Only problem is, with global travel, it gets everywhere so quickly. We had two classes of Spanish language students go to Mexico during school hols, and half of one class (the one that went to Mexico City) came home with it. There were 357 other people on the flight back and some of them didn't give address destinations so on it goes. No, I'm not being alarmist, it's just that modern lifestyle spreads things around much quicker. In WWI the soldiers brought it home with them. My dad's dad died of it when dad was 13, so he was in that vulnerable age group, and as a farmer did not go to war but produced food.

For me, at least, I have probably built up immunity to every pre-existing strain of flu around, having done most of them (but not bird or swine).

Just meandering here....

oceangirl Collaborator

Read up on flu. And be smart. Read The Great Influenza (John Barry). And be smart and informed. It is not a matter of "if" ; it is a matter of "when" and it would pay to stay well-informed. Anyone who can say "it's just the flu" may not be very well-informed about the history of flus and what medical experts predict for future. We are overdue for a thinning of the herd...

And, obviously, wash your hands and stay home if you or your kid is sick and fiddle while Rome burns... tra la la.....

lisa

WW340 Rookie

It is a little too early to tell whether this is going to blow up into a true pandemic, or just burn out. The season is right for a burnout, so hopeully that is what we will see.

We cannot really take comfort in the fact that we have better medical care here, are generally healthy, and have not seen deaths from this yet. The truth is that we have not had enough numbers of cases yet, to know how virulent this will be for the US.

I think we will have a much better idea about the spread and severity of disease in the next week. I am taking precautions personally, to avoid the flu. I am avoiding large gatherings, washing my hands religiously and stocking up on food so I won't have to go shopping if does reach my area, or worry about all the stores being closed if things get really bad.

I am not going to panic, just keeping an eye on the situation, and trying to be prepared as always. Sometimes it helps alieviate the anxiety if you have a plan to deal with the worst of a situation.

Gemini Experienced
Read up on flu. And be smart. Read The Great Influenza (John Barry). And be smart and informed. It is not a matter of "if" ; it is a matter of "when" and it would pay to stay well-informed. Anyone who can say "it's just the flu" may not be very well-informed about the history of flus and what medical experts predict for future. We are overdue for a thinning of the herd...

And, obviously, wash your hands and stay home if you or your kid is sick and fiddle while Rome burns... tra la la.....

lisa

I have read up on the flu and am very informed. PBS did a program a few years back on the flu outbreak in 1918 and it was extremely amazing to see. However, there are huge differences in what occurred then and what is occurring now. In 1918, there were no vaccinations and no antibiotics. People died from secondary infections, mainly pneumonia which set in due to the flu. Medical care does make a HUGE difference in the outcome but there will be those who will succumb to to it anyway, but the numbers will be far less than in 1918.....unless you count Third World totals and those will be worse for all the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

I think there are two kinds of people....those who become overly anxious over normal planet activity and those who take it in stride. Life is fragile and sometimes things happen which are sad but uncontrollable. There will always be bacteria and viruses that will kill people and even though we have made huge strides in making things safer and better, life is life and you have to let things run their course. Be prudent about infection but no need to go into panic mode, which is what the media are always trying to accomplish. It is not Ebola and most people who contract the swine flu will survive, thankfully.

samcarter Contributor

Believe me, I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of a new strain of flu. We are taking it seriously here. My kids are homeschooled, so already our exposure is limited. We will not be taking them to the library or other places with lots of people. We do go to the grocery store, I don't see that changing soon. I've told my kids they need to eat their veggies and fruits so they can fight off any bugs or colds they get. :)

The reality is, though, that the flu viruses we are already familiar with kill 36,000 in the US every YEAR. Nobody shrieks and there are no headlines, oddly enough. Because it happens. Every year. You know those flu shots we're told to get? They're not always effective against the flu, and sometimes they even cause the flu.

Will people die from this new flu? Yep. Sure. It happens EVERY YEAR, people. And they will, sadly, probably be among the youngest and oldest victims of the flu, as with all viruses. Because the very young and the very old both have less immunity than the rest of the population.

I'm not being dissmissive. I'm glad the government is stockpiling flu meds (though Relenza is not good for little kids, and Tamiful causes psychologica problems in kids, so we're screwed there if our kids get it). And I think everybody should take precautions. I'm not convinced it's going to be 1918 Redux, though.

oceangirl Collaborator

I don't think anyone in this post has been alarmist or over-excited. I also don't think the media I listen to is (PBS) I think it's prudent to pay attention to the recommendations of the CDC and am thankful that the media keeps us informed.

Again, read the book, considered definitive on 1918. People here asked questions and people gave answers. No one was overreacting in my opinion. Clearly when something has scare value, all people react in various extremes. I think the attacks on the posts, however, have been a little on the virulent side. Enough on this. Time will march on...

lisa

Gemini Experienced
I don't think anyone in this post has been alarmist or over-excited. I also don't think the media I listen to is (PBS) I think it's prudent to pay attention to the recommendations of the CDC and am thankful that the media keeps us informed.

Again, read the book, considered definitive on 1918. People here asked questions and people gave answers. No one was overreacting in my opinion. Clearly when something has scare value, all people react in various extremes. I think the attacks on the posts, however, have been a little on the virulent side. Enough on this. Time will march on...

lisa

Absolutely NO ONE on this thread is being attacked by anyone and if people still want to give an opinion, it would be welcomed. Whenever someone doesn't like what is being said, you start hearing the violins and suggestions to march on. I made a response because I firmly believe the media is blowing this totally out of proportion...as they always do. We have a whole new generation of alarmist, celebrity whannabe newsreaders and they contribute heavily to public panic....which is ramping up nicely and probably will continue for as long as there is life in this story.

Lisa Mentor

Does anyone have any objections if I move this topic to Gab/Chat? It would give the subject a little more latitude of discussion.

Archived