• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

mushroom

Crumb Pie Crusts

Rate this topic

You had too much butter. There's no recovering from that once you start baking, you have to start over. :rolleyes: I slowly add the butter, and often the crust does not require the entire amount of butter. After the butter is added you should have tiny light colored cookie clumps with some crumbs. If you press your finger into the crumbs your finger should not have a lot of excess butter. They should not look wet. If you add too much butter, you can add more cookie crumbs to the mixture before it's baked. It's a trial and error process.

I haven't tried using prepackaged anything, but I've had decent results using nuts, dried fruit, coconut, a little bean flour, some oil, and stuff like that. Like JennyC suggested, I also start with a little oil (I don't use butter), and work up to the right texture slowly. I find gluten-free crusts require much less oil than wheat-based ones.

I don't use sugar, but it does sound like there may have been too much of that, unless it was the butter in combination with it, forming caramel. Isn't that the basis of peanut brittle too?

I made some recently out of figs and coconut which turned out pretty well texture-wise, though it was too sweet for me. I think I'll try it with dried apricots next time. I soaked the figs and coconut in water, then used my hand blender to pulverize them, and then added other ingredients. It was more of a paste consistency though, so I spread it around the pan with the back of a spoon.

I think there are a lot of ways to make it, depending upon your preferences.

I use Pamela's cookies for crumb crusts and I never add sugar. I always melt the butter in another bowl and slowly drizzle it in bit by bit while mixing to get the desired consistency so I don't get too much in there. You want it just slightly damp so you can mush it together. When I bake the crust I only do it for a few minutes to brown it, then I put in the filling.

I had a horrible experience with a cookie crust.

I used Pamela's ginger cookies, and coconut oil (cause I can't have dairy) and I followed the directions and my kitchen filled with smoke, the brown rice based cookies weren't absorbing the oil (which I halved because it called for 4 tb and I thought that was exessive so I used 2) and I was setting off my smoke alarm for a flipping month trying to burn that mess out) the cookies turned to slime it was so disappointing HAHAHA

good luck Sweetie~ B)

my condolences HAHAHA ;) I know your pain

I had a horrible experience with a cookie crust.

I used Pamela's ginger cookies, and coconut oil (cause I can't have dairy) and I followed the directions and my kitchen filled with smoke, the brown rice based cookies weren't absorbing the oil (which I halved because it called for 4 tb and I thought that was exessive so I used 2) and I was setting off my smoke alarm for a flipping month trying to burn that mess out) the cookies turned to slime it was so disappointing HAHAHA

good luck Sweetie~ B)

my condolences HAHAHA ;) I know your pain

Thanks for the commiseration, and thanks everyone else for helpful advice. I SHALL KNOW BETTER next time.

(I waited till dinner to set off the smoke alarm with burned chicken (eewww!), but at least we now know--in spades--that our wired in alarm system works, cos there's no other way to test it. Kitty did not appreciate it. :(

Thanks for the commiseration, and thanks everyone else for helpful advice. I SHALL KNOW BETTER next time.

(I waited till dinner to set off the smoke alarm with burned chicken (eewww!), but at least we now know--in spades--that our wired in alarm system works, cos there's no other way to test it. Kitty did not appreciate it. :(

OH NO! I bet kitty was horrorfide... ;)

I use this recipe from The Gluten Free Kitchen by Roben Ryberg. I have used both kinnikinnick graham crackers and pamela's cookies and both have turned out very nicely

Here you go:

Cookie Crumb Crust

1 1/4 C finely cruched cookies (about 10 to 12 medium cookies)

i ususally use a food processor

1/4 Cmelted butter

Combine all ingredients in pie pan and mix well. press into bottom and onto sides of pan. try to press to even thickness. do not bake!

I used this recipe the first time with Pamela's cookies:

http://killthegluten.blogspot.com/2007/04/...-pie-crust.html

Now I prebake cookies* and keep in the freezer, using this recipe:

1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups cookie crumbs (depends on the size of dish)

1 to 3 T. sugar

1 to 3 T. melted butter

Melt butter in pie dish, add crumbs and sugar, stir/mash well with a fork. Press into the pie dish and up the sides. Bake 8 minutes at 375 degrees. Cool and fill. If short crumbs just add finely chopped nuts, nut flour, or crushed Rice Chex.

*Vanilla wafer or gingersnap recipes from Carol Fenster's book, 'Cooking Free'