This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Foods To Bring To A Local Support Group Meeting?

kactuskandee

kactuskandee Apprentice

Where I live, High Desert region of Southern California we have a support group that meets now once every 6 months. We've only had one meeting and our next one is mid April.

Since we have so many newly diagnosed celiac disease'rs, the leader (a celiac disease regional support person) and I will be bringing goodies to the meeting to help people see that they can have great tasting gluten-free baked goods. She will be bringing a cake and cookies that are gluten-free but are not dairy free or low fat. I encouraged her to bring a loaf of bread that had been made from a mix too. It will probably be one from GlutenFreePantry.

I will fill in with other things that are dairy free/soy free/low fat since that's the way I have to eat besides gluten-free. I'm assuming there may be others that attend that have multiple food intolerances as well.

My question is this...if you were NEW to gluten-free eating what would you most like to try at a celiac disease support meeting? We are limited as we can't cook anything in the room the hospital is giving us to meet in. We are trying to get a microwave brought in so we can warm up things. And I will have to make my contributions up a few days in advance (because of being out of town) so they have to be able to keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.

Oh yes, and another thing..we will have copies of the recipes of all the things that are brought, so the members can take the recipes home with them, or check the ingredients before they try something.

Any ideas? I have some but will wait to see what you all say.

Thank you so much,

Kandee

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Chocolate cake with chocolate icing!!!! :P:rolleyes:

I am making one this weekend. I made one about a month ago and I was in heaven. :rolleyes: It reaffirmed to me that gluten-free really isn't all that bad - we can still have our treats..... ;)

I use El Peto Chocolate Cake Mix which is gluten free, wheat free, milk free. It is so easy to make too - just mix and bake! I put Betty Crocker chocolate icing on it.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it!! :lol:

:P (licking my lips......)

Karen

angel-jd1 Community Regular

We had a new group start locally and I called a TON of companies and got gluten free product samples. Each family got a TON of stuff to take home and try. You might want to try that for your next meeting. All of the suppliers were more than generous. I will look up my list of companies that donated in case you want to try that. It was a lot of fun and gave us an opportunity to try new things without the expense!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

I wrote to several companies asking them for product samples to use for a support group meeting. I was overwhelmed with their responses!! They didn

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Karen

What kind of Betty Crocker frosting do you use? All the ones I checked contained wheat starch...maybe they were out of the ones you are talking about....let me know what kind you use...I went then to Pillsbury who used corn starch in theirs.

I forgot you live in Canada so it might be different there....

Hi Kaiti:

I checked again on Delphi - down below is the list copying Betty Crocker. I know there was one bottle found containing wheat starch, but that was "non pareils", whatever that is........ I checked the ones I used, they are fine.....

I am going to call the 1-800 number on Monday to clarify....... :huh:

Betty Crocker non pareils: (Fall 2004)

Read label as poster found one bottle that was labeled as containing wheat starch.

Betty Crocker (Signature Brands LLC) (800-456-9573 Ext 212) (ve=2-6-04)

GLUTEN FREE/DAIRY FREE/NUT FREE PRODUCT LIST

Candy Cards (contain Soy and egg white solids);

Decorating Gels (all colors)

Decorating Icing (all colors)

All bottle decors (sugars, nonpareils, sugar shapes, sprinkles, sequins, rainbow, chocolate)

Easy Flow Icing (all colors)

Neon Decorating Gel

Easy Color Decorating Spray (White, Red, Green, Blue, Yellow)

Gel Food Color

Sweet Toppings Carousel Mix

Parlor Perfect Carmel /Crunchy Choc./Confetti/Critters/Mint/Praline Crunch

Real Chocolate Lace, leaves, letters

Edible Images

Candied Fruit

Easy Writers

Confectioner's Glaze is a GRAS product (Generally Recognized As Safe) by the FDA for food use. It is derived from a synthetic alcohol and shellac. The chemically derived alcohol does not have a grain base. The shellac is a natural food grade resin secretion from the lac insect. Carnauba Wax is exuded by the leaves of the Brazilian "Tree of Life" to conserve the moisture within the tree and leaves. The Carnauba Palm grows in the northern and northeastern parts of Brazil along the riverbanks, valley and lagoons where the soil is dark and fertile. It is extracted from the leaves for use in food. It is FDA approved under Regulation 21 of the CFR. It has no nutritional value.

This list is dated January 2005......

The jury is out on Betty Crocker until clarified!!!!! <_<

Karen

When I make my cake tomorrow, I am going to use Duncan Hines instead. I also have that one and it DEFINITELY says corn starch...... Better safe than sorry! ;)

Thanks!

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Viola

Hello ... I make date squares (matramonial cake sp). I use crushed sliced almonds instead of oats. It makes a wonderful cake that travels well :P Gluten cooks use my recipe instead of the oats as it gives it a better flavour. :lol:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Karen

Well Betty Crocker is a General Mills product so if it doesn't have wheat,rye, barley, oats then it is safe(at least in the US) :D

The ones I looked at when I was at the store contained wheat starch but I only picked up a chocolate and vanilla...it could have just been that those were some that contained gluten and the others don't...

That could very well be the case, it just reminds us that even though we enjoy these lists, WE STILL MUST READ EVERYTHING!!!!!! ;)

Karen

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Karen-there is also a section on Frostings in I think the baking section so you may want to take a look at that for other frostings too.....Tell me how your cake turns out...I think I will make a dessert now too :D

Hi Kaiti,

I checked - I had used the icing (Thank God!). I had just done trimming with it. But I won't be using Betty Crocker at all in the future. <_< Duncan Hines is now the way to go! :D

Thanks for looking out for me! ;) You're awesome! :D

btw, today was my first day with the prednisone. 6 tablets this morning.... I can report that I am not lifting any Mack trucks yet! :lol:

Also, the cakes are cooling on my stove as we speak! They smell heavenly. "They" being the operative word - I baked two to make a double decker!!! YIPPEEEEE! :P (licking lips...... yum......) :P

Karen

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Karen-

Yum that sounds really good...I'll come get a piece too when its done :lol:

I'm glad I could help you out.... B)

I wonder how much it would cost to express post a piece from Toronto to Maryland!!!! :lol:

The kids are bugging me to frost it now - it's still too warm..... I told them they have to wait till tomorrow to have a piece. I am not too popular right now! LOL! :D

Karen

Guest Viola

Karen, I'm like your kids, I want a piece warm from the oven with the frosting dripping. :lol:

OOOOOOH, getting a visual here!!!! :P

So tempting, so tempting................ :rolleyes:

GOTTA GO!!! ;)

Karen

kactuskandee Apprentice

Wow, thanks everyone. I never expected to get this kind of response.

Karen, I so agree....CHOCOLATE RULES! Although I can't get the El Peto cake mixes here, I was thinking along the lines of brownies. The gluten free pantry truffle brownie mix (with chocolate chips in it) is to die for, plus I have a not-to-shabby recipe for one that is adapted from a Weight Watchers one.

Jessica! You really ARE an Angel! I can't thank you enough for sharing that incredible list of gluten-free suppliers that are actually willing to send samples. Goodness, there are some on there I haven't even tried. It's a little late now to contact them for this upcoming meet, but for the next one you better believe I'm going to...besides, then I won't have to be doing all this baking! Nice to know who will actually donate--thanks to you. Did you find it was better to email them or call them?

Shirley, Wanna share your recipe? In fact one thing I had in mind was a date/nut bread, but the matrimonial cakes sound better............and with almonds? Sounds yummy. Ever try using quinoa flakes? I have a box and don't know what to do with it. Although I like cooked quinoa, so far I'm not impressed with the flakes.

Kaiti,,,,,,,,,,what can I say...you really are looking out for everyone. (Can I adopt you?) So far I haven't used ANY commercial frosting, but when I do it will be DH.

(Bush won, so it's nice to see your new screen name.)

So it's something chocolate for sure...

What about blueberry muffins? How about donuts? Like spice donuts, or even chocolate ones with frosting (OMG, yum)..........any more thoughts?

Thanks again, Kandee

plantime Contributor

>packing bags for trip to Karen's<

I baked a gluten-free devil's food cake for my son's 17th birthday last Tuesday. It was still warm from the oven when the kids got home from school. I didn't get a chance to frost it before they had wiped out half of the cake! MmMm, chocolate!

Kandee-

I just emailed them asking them if they ever donated to celiac support groups for a taste testing meeting. They all replied back with wonderful results. The list I provided you is companies who SENT things, there were only a couple who rejected me and those are not on that list. I was just SURE the UPS man was going to hate me by the time I got done getting all the samples. They were at my house delivering boxes everday for about a week and a half! haha I SOOO loved getting all the fun gluten free stuff.

kactuskandee Apprentice

Jessica, THANK YOU for contacting them again....Do you think it is to late for me to contact them about an April 19th meeting? If not, I'll email them this weekend so they can act on it next week. Our group is led by a CSA Resource person so we are valid, just not nationally registered.

Funny what you said about samples. Last Oct. I was the contact person to send all the samples to for our IBS gathering in Las Vegas, since I lived the closest and was driving in. (UPS and Fed Ex got to know me on a first name basis too..LOL--and I had boxes left in the craziest places...one time the garage door was up slightly and I wasn't home.they slide the box in but it was at the back of another car....I almost ran over it next time I went out...For two weeks daily it was like an Easter egg hunt finding them when I got home)I have a big car but the ENTIRE back seat and trunk was stuffed full. Fun getting all them for folks but a pain trying to make room then getting them to the conference room. I'll be doing it again this next Oct. (If anyone has IBS too and wants to come, contact me, we have members that are gluten intolerant but also have IBS.) We too had companies that would not, under any circumstance give to us. We don't support them much now either because of that. The others...we can't sing their praises high enough. (Of course a lot depends on the product too.)

It would be nice to have samples for the attendees, but samples to make up for tasting would be just fine too, and coupons off would be nice if they can't send products. I personally just ordered Manna from Anna, for one I'd never tried it, and 2 I thought if it turned out well, I'd bring a loaf to share with the group..this was with my own $).

Please advise...thanks, Kandee

Guest Viola

Here's my Matrimonial Cake recipe :)

Cook and stir for 10 minutes:

3 cups chopped dates, lightly packed

1/2 cup white sugar

1 1/2 cups water

Mix until crumbly:

3/4 cup soft shortening (I use 1/4 cup soft margarine)

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 3/4 cups sweet rice flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1 1/2 cups crumbled shaved almonds

Press 2/3 of mixture into a greased 9x13 pan.

Spread date mixture on the base.

Top with remainder of the crumbly mixture. This I press down gently.

Bake at 375 for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.

Cool and cut into squares.

This freezes super well, and I freeze in portion size pieces using sandwich baggies, so I can just take one or two out. If you take them to a meeting, or event of any kind, they will be thawed out and soft and yummy by the time lunch or snack time rolls around :P

Guest Viola

No, I've never used quinoa flakes, I have no idea what they taste like. If you try it, let us all know how it works :D

Here's another cookie or square recipe that travels well.

Coconut Joys

1/2 cup margarine

2 cups gluten-free icing sugar (Roger's is gluten free)

3 cups unsweetened coconut

2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted ( I like semi-sweet chocolate :lol:

Melt margarine and remove from heat.

Add icing sugar and coconut. Mix well

Shape rounded teaspoons into balls. Make indent in centre and put on cooky sheet.

Fill centre with chocolate

Chill until firm. Store in Fridge

If you make these into squares, you'll need to add a wee bit of water to make more moist. Then indent where you want each piece :rolleyes:

Kandee-

most of the places responded very quickly (maybe 3 weeks to get the stuff to my house) others took a little longer. I had a great deal of it to take to the 1st meeting, then had a little more to take to the 2nd, but we meet every month. You might want to wait until your next meeting. That would give you ample time to get things all together.

kactuskandee Apprentice

Jessica---yes, waiting was my thought too...this is a bit rushed for both the companies and me. Now there is more time to contact companies..and delegate who will bring what instead of having the bulk of the work on 2 people's shoulders..

Thanks again for the valuable list, and advise...

Shirley---A big thank you for the recipe for the matrimonial cakes..(It's a keeper I can tell)..I'm going to try them out today since I have a huge container of dates. I think I can just run my whole almonds thru the food processor to get them the way the recipes states.

I can't wait to try them. Dates are one of my favorite foods anyway. Unfortunately I just missed the date festival in Indio, southern California, not far from me...people come as far away as from different countries to attend.

Thanks for adding the Coconut Joy recipe....always good to have something that travels well....They are much like a candy I make but it has chopped pecans and sweetened condensed milk in it and the balls get rolled in melted chocolate chips...sinful and yummy.

Everyone has been so helpful,

Thank you,

Kandee

Guest Viola

Your welcome for the recipes, hope you enjoy them. I love dates too :P

Those pecan balls rolled in chocolate sound scrumptious! Have you the recipe handy? :rolleyes:

Archived