Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kactuskandee

Foods To Bring To A Local Support Group Meeting?

Shirley, Sure..here goes..this recipe make a ton of balls and they keep well in the fridge, especially if you grate a little paraffin wax into the chocolate to create a shine so they don't "bloom" in the cold. Hubby has become so fond of these, since I made them at Christmas time, that I have them around all the time now. I make up a batch of balls and keep most of them in the freezer. Then when we run out I chocolate coat a dozen or 2 so they are always available.

Not sure this shouldn't be on the cooking section, but hey, these would be great for any gathering, so why not?

Chocolate Coconut/Nut Balls

Yield: 75 to 100 balls

2 (16-ounce) boxes gluten-free-SAFE confectioners' sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened (or use coconut oil if you need it DF)

1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (If you need it DF, Vance'sDairyFree, I think, has a recipe for a sub, or do a Google search)

1 teaspoon pure almond extract

1 (14-ounce) package shredded coconut

1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (the original recipe called for almonds but I switched to pecans or sometimes use some of each)

1 (12-ounce) package SAFE chocolate chips (I had to use more)

Cream together sugar and butter in a bowl; add milk. Stir in almond extract, coconut, and nuts; mix well. (time for some clean hands to get into the act) Form candy into 1-inch balls. Place on waxed paper and refrigerate at least 3 hours, (or overnight, covered so they don

Karen

What kind of Betty Crocker frosting do you use? All the ones I checked contained wheat starch...maybe they were out of the ones you are talking about....let me know what kind you use...I went then to Pillsbury who used corn starch in theirs.

I forgot you live in Canada so it might be different there....

And then wheat starch is confusing in itself....US/Can. it's not safe, UK it is...this is crazy.

I use Duncan Hines, though. When my mom was going to make a gluten-free cake once, she bought the Betty Crocker icing by mistake--and it had wheat starch in it. We returned it for Ducan Hines, of course.

Guest Viola

Thanks so much Kandee, I'm already making a list for when I go to a store next :D We live an hour from town, so don't go in on a daily bases, but maybe our village store has what I need... We are going travelling towards the end of the month, sounds like a good car treat to me :rolleyes:

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    KimberlyK
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)