Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Rate this topic

I bought some loose tea from Teavana (not thinking about it at all) and drank some today and felt like absolute crap. I couldn't figure out what it was, and this is the only new thing in my diet.

I looked on their website and they don't have the particular tea (Samurai Chai Mate) labeled as containing gluten. Here is the list of ingredients. If you have any knowledge about anything of these being glutenous, I'd really appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Green Mate, Red Rooibos, cinnamon, candied pineapple bits, orange peel, lemongrass, aniseed, coriander, cardamom, almonds, and cornflower blossoms.

I feel like it might be in the candied pineapple or the cornflower blossoms (I couldn't find anything on cornflower).

Anyways, thanks again!

gluten free since 05/04

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

According to their website,

http://www.teavana.com/c=faq/shop.axd/Static

only one tea contains gluten, Utopian Jewel Oolong.

Did you eat anything at the same time?

If not, you may want to call them and ask how they process their tea.

PS, FYI, I always Google the company and "gluten free" to find out if they have any info at all on their web pages about the gluten free status of a product.

You didn't have it with tapioca tea bubbles did you? Whenever I had their tea with bubbles I became extremely ill, I don't think they watch for cross contamination very well.

I just drank Teavanna’s Emperor’s Mist green tea an hour ago, figuring I was safe after googling for its gluten-free status. I am having sharp stabbing pains in my gut right now. The only other thing I had was Starbucks’s certified gluten-free breakfast sandwich, still in its sealed packaging. One of these is giving me pain.

2 hours ago, HappilyGF said:

I just drank Teavanna’s Emperor’s Mist green tea an hour ago, figuring I was safe after googling for its gluten-free status. I am having sharp stabbing pains in my gut right now. The only other thing I had was Starbucks’s certified gluten-free breakfast sandwich, still in its sealed packaging. One of these is giving me pain.

Teavana...yeah if any of their teas contain barley, wheat etc..I would not trust any tea in that store, they do bulk bins..same scoop for most of it,,,and measure on the same scale....CC yep.
Most Starbucks are handling the sandwich well..my only concern would be CC on the outside of the wrapper and you accidentally CCing yourself from touching it then your food on the inside or your mouth....if you ate it in the store and sat it on the gluten cced crumby counter/table would be another concern.

Check out republic of tea for gluten free certified teas.

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering