This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Healthy Breakfast Ideas

Lawrence

Lawrence Apprentice

Since I was diagnosed about three years ago with Celiac Disease I have been eating Enviro Kids gluten free cereal. Before I was diagnosed I ate Total and Kashi Go Lean. I am about 10 pounds overweight and I would like to lose some weight. I would like to eat something healthy for breakfast because the Enviro Kids cereal is just calories and sugar. I also have an egg every morning and a glass of orange juice. I plan to still keep eating the egg and drinking the orange juice. Any ideas? They don't have to be cereal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skinnyminny Enthusiast
Since I was diagnosed about three years ago with Celiac Disease I have been eating Enviro Kids gluten free cereal. Before I was diagnosed I ate Total and Kashi Go Lean. I am about 10 pounds overweight and I would like to lose some weight. I would like to eat something healthy for breakfast because the Enviro Kids cereal is just calories and sugar. I also have an egg every morning and a glass of orange juice. I plan to still keep eating the egg and drinking the orange juice. Any ideas? They don't have to be cereal.

Bob's redmill Hot and Tasty cereal is a good option. It is similar flavor to oatmeal. It has 4 grams of fiber and no sugar. For flavor I add cinnamon, blue berries and soy milk. A cereal like this or one with more fiber and less sugar will help you stay full longer.

angieInCA Apprentice

Since I have had to cut out all grains and milk I am having a breakfest of sauted diced onions, peppers, tomatoes and ham mixed with scrambled egs. I dice up enough onions, peppers and tomatoes for the week and keep them in a small container in the frig and just spoon out what I need every day. I add a piece of fresh fruit or berries on the side and coffee. Quite tasty and very filling.

happygirl Collaborator

Blueberries or other fruit.

Apples with peanut butter on them.

String cheese.

gluten-free bagel with cream cheese.

missy'smom Collaborator

What about meats? There are a variety to choose from, ham for one.

sandwiches and fruit

soup-Healthy Choice chicken and rice soup

smoothies

hash-par boil potatoes, chop onions, peppers, refrigerate overnight, in the a.m. throw into a skillet and brown along with chopped ham, salt and pepper or make the night before and warm up in the a.m.

microwaved baked sweet potatoes(with some butter and/or cinnamon if you like) served with ham or sausages

elye Community Regular

I try to stay away from most grains, as well, being type one diabetic. My breakfast is usually a big piece of chopped-up fruit (apple, peach, pear, 1/2 banana) topped with plain yogurt and a small handful of chopped nuts and seeds. DELISH, and nutritionally complete. :)

mattathayde Apprentice

i guess up north you dont know all the things you can do for breakfast ;)

there are a lot of good "southern" foods, given a lot of them have fat and sugar but they all come from the farmer tradition where it was worked off

some of the healthier things i can think of are:

-grits (corn meal basically that you put butter on along with mix and match of sooo many other things, sugar, salt, peper, garlic, cheese, jelly, etc, how ever i have heard by some people that no self respecting southerner puts sugar on their grits but what ever you like)

-biscuits and gravy, ive made gravy with just a random gluten free mix (probably similar to beths all purpose flour) and it tasted great, the biscuits werent very good but i just substituted gluten-free flour in so if you find a good biscuit recipe you will be good, heck even an ok one will be fine since they get drenched in gravy

-add a meat in and some gluten free toast, the enr-g breads are pretty good so far from what ive found and kroger's (idk if they are up in NY) cary them (at least the one by me does)

-omelets are always versatile

-fruits

puffin makes a "gluten free" cereal but its not in a gluten-free facility so im not sure if it will be ok for every one, ive had it some times but haven thad it enough to know if it makes me sick, i did eat some last night and had isues this morning but i ate a lot of stuff last night and probably more sugar in there than i should have.

-matt

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Eggs. Or whatever I had for dinner. My breakfasts aren't very traditional.

ranger Enthusiast

I eat a lot of fried mush. I fry a bunch on the weekends to heat and eat during the week. I also make a good sized vege omelet and then nuke a portion for another quik breakfast. Sometimes, leftovers from dinner. I'm very bad in the am. It has to be something I can grab without thinking about! I also eat a piece pf fruit every am. Used to eat Total every morning!

GottaSki Mentor

smoothie (fruit fresh or frozen, spinach, yogurt plain or fruit, banana, ice if i didn't use frozen fruit)

and

eggs with spinach, cream cheese and whatever meat is left over from dinners

or

gluten-free bagel with avocado

I never was hungry for breakfast before going gluten-free...now I am ready to eat in the am and eat less throughout the day.

mattathayde Apprentice
I never was hungry for breakfast before going gluten-free...now I am ready to eat in the am and eat less throughout the day.

i notice that i have started to eat less too over all with celiac disease, but i still dont eat in the AM, at least until after 10 or 11, i might be hungry but if i try to eat my body just goes "ewwwww" (i think the second part is more genetic though since my father never really eats breakfast)

-matt

RiceGuy Collaborator

My first meal of the day is generally my largest, and doesn't resemble what most people think of as breakfast at all. I usually have a big hearty vegetable stew with a freshly baked biscuit, or I'll make a casserole or something. Once in awhile, I'll make Kasha or buckwheat as a hot cereal, and add some raisins or diced apples or some other fruit, a little cinnamon, Stevia and salt. Adding some coconut oil in place of butter/margarine is really tasty too. Teff or amaranth also works well as a hot cereal. Sometimes I'll combine them together, and just cook it for the length required for the one which cooks the slowest. Kasha is roasted buckwheat, and can be eaten as a cold cereal too, in which case it's crunchy - sorta like grape nuts.

If you don't have much time in the morning, make something the night before, and put it in a microwave safe dish. Then in the morning, just heat it up and enjoy. Making extra dinner for the next morning would make it easier too.

Nuts, seeds, and other nutrient dense things are good at any time of day.

sbj Rookie
I have been eating Enviro Kids gluten free cereal . . . I would like to lose some weight. I would like to eat something healthy for breakfast because the Enviro Kids cereal is just calories and sugar. I also have an egg every morning and a glass of orange juice. I plan to still keep eating the egg and drinking the orange juice. Any ideas?

If you enjoy cereal then switch to Rice Chex. It sounds as if it has far less sugar than the Enviro Kids stuff. Instead of orange juice switch to whole fruit - by drinking juice you are just getting all of the sugar and very little of the fiber. If you skip cereal with milk then try to add some dairy via low cal yogurt - I like the Dannon lite and fit. Instead of a whole egg try using egg whites only - much better for you.

Personally I enjoy egg white tacos with salsa, or pineapple with cottage cheese, or rice cake with peanut butter and sugar free jelly. I think a healthy breakfast should include starch, protein, fruit, and dairy; plenty of starch for energy to start your day, and very little protein and fat (but make sure you DO have just a bit of both). If you want to lose weight I suggest using an Exchange-type plan from the American Diabetes Association. And if you have health insurance that covers it, make an appointment with a dietitian for great advice and a plan of action. Good luck!

purple Community Regular

Old faves:

fresh and hot muffins, yogurt with fruit and nuts, cereal with sliced banana, choc chip pumpkin bread

New faves:

plain or vanilla yogurt with nuts and a spoonful of fresh strawberry freezer jam (low sugar version)

banana nut waffles made with 1 1/2 cups milk, plain or with berries or choc chips added: Open Original Shared Link

wrap and freeze the extra

flourless egg muffins:

Open Original Shared Link

made with ham bits, red and green peppers and green onions (all chopped up and in the freezer)

make a batch then freeze some for another day (I use 9-10 eggs and paper liners)

celiac-mommy Collaborator

This is our new favorite:

Open Original Shared Link

Lawrence Apprentice

Thanks everybody. I will try to add some of these foods to my breakfast in about a couple of weeks or so. I have another box of Enviro Kids and I need to finish that off first.

Archived