This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Elisabeth Hasselbeck

GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

Open Original Shared Link

Didn't know if anyone wanted to see or hear any of the interviews coming up. The link above goes to the Gluten-Free Diet site and shows her next TV and Radio Appearances (also copied below).

Good Morning America - May 4th - ABC 7-9am

The View - May 4th - ABC 11am - 12pm EST

Here's Barbara (Barbara Walters Radio show) - Sirius/XM Radio - May 4th - Time Varies by Market

Hannity - May 4 - FOX News Channel 9-10pm EST

700 Club Health & Wellness Feature - Airdate TBD - Time Varies by Market

Rachael Ray show - airdate May 6th - Syndicated, check your local listtings

Larry King Live - May 6 - CNN 9-10pm EST

Fox & Friends - May 7 - FOX News Channel 6-9am EST

Huckabee - May 16 - FOX News Channel 8pm EST

Showbiz Tonight - May 6 - HLN

Below the TV/Radio Appearances it shows "Print Appearances"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Leiana Rookie
Open Original Shared Link

Didn't know if anyone wanted to see or hear any of the interviews coming up. The link above goes to the Gluten-Free Diet site and shows her next TV and Radio Appearances (also copied below).

Good Morning America - May 4th - ABC 7-9am

The View - May 4th - ABC 11am - 12pm EST

Here's Barbara (Barbara Walters Radio show) - Sirius/XM Radio - May 4th - Time Varies by Market

Hannity - May 4 - FOX News Channel 9-10pm EST

700 Club Health & Wellness Feature - Airdate TBD - Time Varies by Market

Rachael Ray show - airdate May 6th - Syndicated, check your local listtings

Larry King Live - May 6 - CNN 9-10pm EST

Fox & Friends - May 7 - FOX News Channel 6-9am EST

Huckabee - May 16 - FOX News Channel 8pm EST

Showbiz Tonight - May 6 - HLN

Below the TV/Radio Appearances it shows "Print Appearances"

yep heard about this tonight. she went undiagnosed for 10 years. Elizabeth was skelatel until she put herself on the diet and healed up. she looks great and healthy. i also heard some of these actresses are celiac but will not go on the diet so they can stay thin. what a shame. if only they knew what this is doing to them. such vanity. i rather be fat. honest...tired of being bone thin. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Ms. Skinny Chic Explorer
yep heard about this tonight. she went undiagnosed for 10 years. Elizabeth was skelatel until she put herself on the diet and healed up. she looks great and healthy. i also heard some of these actresses are celiac but will not go on the diet so they can stay thin. what a shame. if only they knew what this is doing to them. such vanity. i rather be fat. honest...tired of being bone thin. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Elizabeth looks very good... no one chooses to be bone thin... everyone hasn't mastered the celiac diet.

Fat or skinny -- who cares..

It is about being happy in your own skin.

Lisa Mentor

I thought I would pass this information along:

Celiac Colleagues:

I am writing to call your attention to the current publicity surrounding the new book, The gluten-free Diet, A Gluten-Free Survival Guide by Elisabeth Hassselbeck, co-host of The View. While it is important to call attention to celiac disease, the information must be accurate

GottaSki Mentor

Thanks for letting us know that she would be on Larry King...what a wonderful job she did shining a light on Celiac Disease.

Looks like those calls to Larry worked...did you catch the ? some say that Celiac is and auto immune disease, not an allergy.... way to go celiac.com ;)

Lisa Mentor

I also heard today that Al Roker mentioned that one of his daughters is trying the gluten free diet and is doing much better.

Don't know what that means, but it was good to hear.

Ms. Skinny Chic Explorer
I thought I would pass this information along:

Celiac Colleagues:

I am writing to call your attention to the current publicity surrounding the new book, The gluten-free Diet, A Gluten-Free Survival Guide by Elisabeth Hassselbeck, co-host of The View. While it is important to call attention to celiac disease, the information must be accurate

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

teemaree Apprentice

A friend in the US sent me the transcript of the Larry King interview...

I hope I am allowed to post it here?

I am thrilled she is bringing awareness of celiac...But I do hope that she makes it loud and clear

that it isn't a lifestyle choice. From what I read in this interview she really did seem to try her best to tell the importance and the sicknesses that come from being Celiac.

No matter what... she is making people take notice, and trying to educate people, and we need all the GOOD help we can get in getting the message out...

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KING: Back with Elisabeth Hasselbeck. Her new book, "The gluten-free Diet." And it says: "A Gluten-Free Survival Guide."

Now, we think of gluten, we think of wheat, right?

HASSELBECK: Sure. Well, it's actually more than that. Gluten encompasses -- it's a protein found in barley, oats, wheat and rye. So it's more broad than most people actually think. So that is definitely a misconception out there.

And I -- I truly -- this has been a decade-long process for me. I have Celiac Disease. And I say out of diabetes came that low glycemic index diet and out of my Celiac Disease, I found this all star diet. I call it my diet in the rough because it is something that, even if I didn't have Celiac Disease, like many others, I would follow this diet.

KING: So you have to avoid what?

HASSELBECK: I actually don't even think of it as avoiding. But for me with Celiacs -- and many do with Celiac Disease -- we, our bodies, it's an autoimmune disease where if our bodies encounter gluten -- that protein found in barley, oats, wheat and rye -- we, our bodies pretty much shut down and fight themselves. What happens is if undiagnosed -- and one out of 133 million people have Celiac Disease. The scary thing, Larry, is that only 3 percent of them know it. Ninety-seven percent of the people with Celiac Disease are not aware of it because of misdiagnosis. They get diagnosed with something else, like I did.

You know, over 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with IBS, thyroid issues. I was having infertility problems. People suffer miscarriage after miscarriage, stillbirth. It eventually leads to intestinal cancer.

KING: All right...

HASSELBECK: So this is something that needs to be treated. But the diet is actually, yes, for people with Celiac Disease. For millions with food intolerance -- and that is up like 25 percent in the past five years. But for people who just want a healthy lifestyle. I mean I'm on this diet before I'm pregnant, during pregnancy and when I'm trying to get back in my bikini to, you know, strut around in the summer.

KING: What -- what happens when you're a kind of -- for want of a better word -- victim of it, at its worst...

HASSELBECK: If they're undiagnosed or do come across gluten and they are Celiacs, their bodies literally are so -- I mean I was in such pain. And doctors were ready to do surgery. They kept telling me I had IBS. I always say emphasis on the B.S. because that wasn't the answer.

It's the -- the equivalent of going into your physician and saying my head hurts and them telling you have a headache. Well, thanks for the information.

I was looking for a clear diagnosis. Thankfully, Dr. Peter Green was able to do that for me and run the proper tests. But it took me way too long to get that when it -- the saddest situation, I think, is when you have children who are encountering gluten when they have Celiac Disease and their bodies aren't growing.

Your intestines aren't able to absorb any nutrients. So you are then predisposed to all of this, you know, intestinal cancer, etc.

KING: Is it...

HASSELBECK: But they're in such pain and deprived of nutrients and they don't grow.

KING: You call it an allergy, but some say it's an autoimmune disease.

HASSELBECK: It is an autoimmune disease. It is absolutely a disease...

KING: It is? HASSELBECK: And it needs to -- we need to get that diagnosis percentage up drastically, because this is actually -- it's so preventative. I mean you have people who aren't celiacs on this diet because it improves everything from ADHD to ADD, depression, energy levels, metabolism.

This is a phenomenal way to eat. I was so thankful to find it.

But when people do encounter gluten who are celiacs, with it leading to diabetes, thyroid disease, intestinal cancer, it ends up costing their body so much more, but also our medical system so much more down the road.

It's a preventative diet. It works incredibly well. I have never felt better in my life. And certainly when I proposed the book, it wasn't the one that people thought I would write, but it is one that comes -- literally comes from the gut and the heart. And I interweave throughout the book easy tips.

KING: Can we test children as to whether they have it?

HASSELBECK: Absolutely. And if you -- if your children are exhibiting symptoms such as either listlessness or irritability, if they have a bloated belly, if they say my -- my tummy hurts, it's most diagnosed in that first year, when parents are introducing food and you're -- you're still vigilant about everything they put in their bodies.

It's in the years thereafter, that two to, you know, the teenage years where you're not really sure what's going on.

If they're not meeting their growth benchmarks, demand a celiac test from your doctors. And if they have it, if your child has it, or a sibling, your chances of having Celiac Disease is one in 22. So you should get tested, as well.

KING: Is it...

HASSELBECK: It's something that, really, we need to improve upon.

KING: Is it inherited?

HASSELBECK: It is inherited. It's a genetic disease. You can get tested both for the gene. You can have an endoscopy. I have the gene. You know, I will have my family tested and my kids tested down the road. It's great information to have.

We are in a new era of preventative testing, so you know what your gene code says, but also preventative eating. I mean I don't think of it as replacing anything and I -- I interview people throughout the book and give social tips. But I -- there are so many that are on it who don't have celiac, like I said, that do it just because of the health benefits alone.

So it's not about removing, it's about replacing with something much more powerful.

KING: One cannot deny an important, important book.

Thanks, Elisabeth.

HASSELBECK: Thank you, Larry.

KING: See you soon.

HASSELBECK: OK.

KING: Elisabeth Hasselbeck, co-host of "The View" and author of "The gluten-free Diet: A Gluten-Free Survival Guide," with a forward by Dr. Peter Green.

HASSELBECK: Thank you.

KING: Thank you, dear.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

That sounds about like The View segment. I noticed a few inaccuracies in her comments and thought she oversimplified celiac disease a little too much. I haven't read the book so I don't know how much of that is just cutting it up for a television audience and how much of it is the real message delivered in the book.

abbysmom Rookie

I have watched all the shows that she was a guest on this week. I thought she made it clear that she HAD to be on this "diet" because of Celiac, but that it is a very helpful way to eat for others. I did not think she down played it in the book either and she was very clear that getting an accurate, official diagnosis is the ideal. I think she wrote the book to help not only newly diagnosed people, but those who just want a healthier way of living. As for referring to it as an allergy, the book lets you know it is an auto-immune disease. I enjoyed the book, and enjoy her bringing Celiac to shows that otherwise wouldn't have ever talked about it!

Archived