This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eastern European gluten-free Food Lists?

brianinserbia

brianinserbia Newbie

I am living in Serbia, and travel to surrounding countries somtimes. I am having big troubles staying gluten-free on a consistent basis. Is there any gluten-free list out there that has Eastern European brands and products on it? I have been using this site a lot to help me learn more about being gluten-free, but there are very few US brands here for me to buy.

My story:

I am only 25 years old, and I was self-diagnosed this past summer, July 2009, after going to the family doctor and having them suggest that maybe I was sensitive to gluten. My symptoms were bad enough (bone and joint pain, bloating, exhaustion, weightloss, abdominal pain) that I quickly went on a complete gluten-free diet and felt better physically than I had in many years. Then in September I moved to Serbia. Little did I know about being a celiac at that time, and my life has been trial by error these past 8 months. Just as I start to get more healthy and gain a little weight, I start eating something I shouldn't and have to start all over again. Currently I only wiegh 150lbs. but am 6'3" tall. I believe that I am underwieght quite a bit.

Currently, I have a friend trying to find a good nutritionist or dietition for me to go see. Any suggestions on that?

Can anyone help me? I feel somewhat alone here in this part of the world concering gluten-free stuff.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Hmmm, I am not familiar with any brands over there. When I went to Europe (Spain and Portugal) I just looked at their grocery store, in the health section, for gluten-free goods. Then, I would carry them with me. When I travel in the US, I usually bring my own food too or stick to fruit and veggies (which can be bought anywhere). Sorry I can't be more of a help!

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Ohhhhh, I stocked up on that before I came home, and about last year my local stores started selling their products. Not the same exact stuff but still yummie!

• 4 months later...
tomika Newbie

Brian, if you travel to neighbouring countries you can stock up on gluten free foods in Croatia.

There are several brands of gluten free stuff curently on the market here: Valpiform (flour, bread, pasta, crackers, cookies...), Sch

• 1 year later...
hipretty Apprentice

Brian I do know for sure Russia has way more resources than Ukraine for example who has next to nothing. But even in Ukraine (Kyiv) I was able to find in the larger markets Orgran gluten-free Pastas, and cookies. If you contact Orgran... I am sure they will tell you where to find gluten-free in Serbia! Срећно!

I STRONGLY suggest for you to go here to drop down window and switch it from inside australia to outside australia..write to them they are a wonderful company. And no I do not work for them, but they saved the day when I was in Ukraine over the course of 3 months. I cried when I found them in Mandarin Plaza in Kyiv!

Open Original Shared Link

Archived