Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Knoppie

Difference Between Celiac Disease And Gluten Intolerance

Hi

I've been trying to find the difference but none of the info websites clearly show the difference between the two so can anyone explain the difference between them and the symptoms for each one?

Thanks in advance

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The article happygirl linked to is a good one. Another good explanation is here.

One of the issues is that celiac disease is well defined (if not well known) in that the clinical definition is widely accepted*. Gluten Intolerance does not have a widely accepted definition. On this message boards some people use the term to mean a condition distinct from celiac while others use it as an umbrella term meaning "something bad happens when I eat gluten" and that includes celiac.

* widely accepted in terms of what is happening in your body if you have gluten. The diagnosis processes involves multiple tests and there is not complete agreement on what it means if you have mixed results on the tests.

I've been having some symptoms for about a year now right after I had a cyst.

It first i thought it was yoghurt which i eliminated from my diet and it got better but then gradually more and more foods started giving me problems like oranges, cabbage and then I even thought it was apples but now it still happens almost everyday without eating any of the "trigger" foods.

I've had anemia for at least 4 years now (didn't measure it before)

My stomach bloats up and then come the gases

I have a runny nose (but I don't know if that's a symptom)

I feel nauseated

I am extremely tired all the time

and does a large appetite have anything to do with it?

I'd thought about celiac before but I didn't think about trying to go gluten free because I love bread! But last week I found out that celiac runs in the family.

Testing is hard to do because I live in Egypt and I asked and they never even heard of the test. I know there is a test that you can do from home and send but I don't know if I'm going to do that.

if I get better without the gluten is it more likely that i have gluten intolerance or celiac?

Thanks for the info, very helpful

if I get better without the gluten is it more likely that i have gluten intolerance or celiac?

There is no way to say that without testing and ruling in/out Celiac.