Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rikki Tikki

Starting A Support Group

I am trying to get a support group going in my area for people with celiac. Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful hints and what all I will need to do? The best way to get it going and keep it going strong?

I did e-mail some gluten free companies to see if they would donate any products.

Thanks

Sally

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sally,

I just did this-

1) Contact your local papers- most will run an announcement on the community page for free.

2) Inform the GI docs, family docs, internal med docs in your area and they will pass info on to patients- this works better if you give them a flyer to pass on.

3) Call the companies- they are generous and will donate samples.

4) Make up a basic packet of information for newly diagnosed celiacs- they will really appreciate basic lists like where to shop, good cookbooks, etc.

Good luck, Tania Greenville, PA

Thank-you Tania.

I did e-mail some company's yesterday but I have only heard from a couple of them.

Did you have the meeting in your home or in a restaurant? I believe more people have been diagnosed here now. When I saw my GI doctor week before last he said he had diagnosed 2 new people. It doesn't seem like many, but I have a feeling more and more people are going to find out they have it.

At least I hope they do, I really don't want people to suffer for years like I did, thinking it was all in my head.

Thanks again

Sally B)

Hi Sally,

I agree with Tina plus run free radio spots on the local stations.

Try to get the newspaper to run the ad continuously.

And ask a hospital dietitian to join you...they are sometimes in the know, but often are there for information too.

As to location we asked the hospital to donate a conference room. They were more than willing if it was on an evening that another group didn't meet. That makes it neutral ground for all to be at. Right now it is only once every 6 months but if it goes well I hope we can run one once a month.

Kandee