This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fresh Mint Ideas?

one more mile

one more mile Contributor

I did do a cucumber salad today with mint and dill and balsamic vinegar. and red peppers and celery. Any other Ideas on what to do with it? Cooked or raw, either works.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Mint tea is very nice :P Take a handful of leaves and put them in boiling water (it has to be boiling hot). Let it steep for about ten minutes and then strain out the leaves. I love to make a whole pitcher full and stick it in the fridge when it's done steeping... mint iced tea! Very refreshing.

Another nice idea if you can have dairy... a scoop of vanilla Haagen-Dasz with fresh mint leaves as a simple topping. Yum! The smaller leaves are best.

missy'smom Collaborator

I hope to see more ideas. Mint is taking over my garden too!

I tried this salad recently and liked it. Light and fresh. Good for this time of year. Open Original Shared Link

Last year we made Vietnamese style spring rolls. Used the rice paper wraps, leaf lettuce, poached shredded chicken, boiled shrimp, clear rice noodles and just two large mint leaves per roll tucked in. Then we served them with a bottled sweet tangy chili ginger sauce.

larry mac Enthusiast

I planted spearmint in a pot a few years ago. It's now filled a section all around the pot, gone over a walkway, gone under a fence and started on the other side.

I use it to make Mojitos. I figure if they were good enough for Hemingway, they're good enough for me. :P

best regards, lm

kenlove Rising Star

Made mint Jelly last year and mint jalapeno a few months ago.

I would also put a bunch in a jar of White vinegar then forget about it for a year. Mint vinegar in other creations is really nice.

ken

I did do a cucumber salad today with mint and dill and balsamic vinegar. and red peppers and celery. Any other Ideas on what to do with it? Cooked or raw, either works.
Sweetfudge Community Regular

Mint lemon-limeade! I saw it on a Paula Deen cooking show! So good!

DingoGirl Enthusiast
I planted spearmint in a pot a few years ago. It's now filled a section all around the pot, gone over a walkway, gone under a fence and started on the other side.

I use it to make Mojitos. I figure if they were good enough for Hemingway, they're good enough for me. :P

Yup, I was gonna say this! :)

Mint grows like crazy in my yard.....I have people over for mojitos regularly during the season. They're yummy!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sbj Rookie

How about mint chutney, mint juleps, or some spicy chili-mint Thai dishes?

• 2 weeks later...
missy'smom Collaborator

Been enjoying mint tea with my breakfast often lately. So easy, flavorful and needs no sugar. I don't know why I waited so long to try it!

sickchick Community Regular

I instanly thought "mojito"

heaven!!!

:)

I don't drink anymore though but even virgin mojitos are wonderful

Just make with lime juice, simple syrup muddled with fresh mint and pour over selzer water

B)

HouseKat Apprentice

Years ago, I was house sitting for a friend and they had tons of mint in their yard. I found a mint sorbet recipe in a Sunset magazine recipe book, it was fabulous. Great on those hot summer days.

Kate

Wonka Apprentice

QUINOA AND MINT SALAD WITH AVOCADO AND FETA CHEESE

Similar to tabouli, but a little more dressed up. Quinoa is not really a grain, it's the seed of a grass.

1 cup (240 mL) quinoa

11/2 cups (360 mL) water

6 tablespoons (90 mL) extra-virgin olive oil

3 tablespoons (45 mL) fresh lemon juice

1 clove garlic, minced

a large pinch each of ground cinnamon and allspice

sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

3 ripe tomatoes, seeded, chopped

1 cup (240 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley

1 cup (240 mL) coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves

4 green onions, thinly sliced

1/4 English cucumber, seeded, finely chopped

1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

2 avocados, pitted, peeled and cubed

Place the quinoa in a fine meshed sieve and rinse thoroughly under cold running water. Transfer to a small pot, add the water and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 20-30 minutes until tender. Remove from the heat, place in a bowl, fluff with a fork and cool.

Combine the oil, lemon juice, garlic, cinnamon, allspice, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir into the quinoa.

Add the remaining ingredients and mix gently. Check the seasoning and serve.

Makes 4 to 6 servings

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LENTIL SALAD WITH MINT VINAIGRETTE

From Mediterranean Fresh, by Joyce Goldstein

Serves 4

2 cups green lentils (preferably lentils de Puy), rinsed

2 teaspoons sea salt

3 tablespoons olive oil

Archived