This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Can I Eat For Lunch?

wilem008

wilem008 Contributor

I wasnt sure which section to put this in but I need some ideas for lunch!

Im ok for breakfast, healthy snacks and dinner but not for lunch....I eat waaaay too much rice! I have rice everyday and i've been putting on SO much weight. Ive put on 5 kilograms in the last 4 months, which is HEAPS for me! Its starting to effect my self-esteem and my relationship with my boyfriend. (I just dont feel sexy, I feel fat and gross)....

Anyway, ive started going to the gym to try and get healthier but I want to change my eating habits aswell.

Its coming into winter (I live in Australia) and I always crave somthing warm for lunch - a salad just doesnt cut it!

So, I need recipes that are low in carb (NOT rice!) but that will keep me full!

What could I make?

Im not only gluten free but lactose (I do allow myself some cheese and sour cream from time to time) free aswell. I also avoid apples, pears, grapes and tomatoes.

Does anyone have any suggestions? On how to eat gluten free, stay full and lose some weight?

Thanks,

Wilem

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

daphniela Explorer

Try switching to brown rice. It more nutritious and it will keep you full longer. There is minute brown rice available if you hate waiting for it to cook. Regular brown rice takes 45 miinutes to cook.

julirama723 Contributor

I would suggest making vegetables the focus of each meal, or at least, adding them to each meal if you've not done so already. They are full of vitamins and nutrients, fiber, and they are low in carbs and calories. I'm not sure if you are a meat-eater, but eat protein with each meal/snack. This will keep you fuller longer, and if you work out/lift weights, you will need adequate amounts of protein to build and maintain muscle.

Do you eat eggs? There are many egg-based dishes, like quiche, that can be made to your liking with a variety of vegetables and meats. Also, tuna/chicken salad on lettuce or with veggies is delicious. (I scoop up the chicken salad with pieces of bell pepper.) You can also stuff a bell pepper with the salad mix and cook in the oven. Top this with a slice of cheese.

When I cook dinner, I make lots of extras, so I always have something to eat for lunch. A grilled chicken breast with veggies is usually my favorite lunch.

digmom1014 Enthusiast

I usually go with leftovers from dinner the night before. I make enough at night so there are leftovers and put it in a plastic container in the refrig. I zap it in the micro. the next day and it is great! That way I know it is gluten-free, weight friendly, and cost effective.

elonwy Enthusiast

Soup! Soup is an awesome way to get warm filling food and keep the calories down. Its my winter go-to lunch food.

CMG Rookie

I had the same issue. I gained 10 pounds in my first 2 months gluten free. I'm now realizing that gluten free baked goods are higher in fat and lower in fiber that their gluten counterparts.

I second the soup suggestion. There are lots of soups that are packed with vegetables and I always add beans for protein and fiber, even if the recipe doesn't call for them. Add some brown rice or brown rice pasta to make it a bit more filling. If you make a big pot, you'll have plenty for lunches for a week. Also, I've been doing lots of big salads this week with beans, chicken, tuna or eggs added for protein. Sunflower seeds also add protein and some crunch.

I'm seeing my weight start to creep back down as I focus on increasing veggies and proteins and reducing carbs - even if the carbs are rice and baked potatoes.

Quinoa is good, too. I use it as a substitute for couscous or orzo. It's more nutritious and tastes great!

wilem008 Contributor
Try switching to brown rice. It more nutritious and it will keep you full longer. There is minute brown rice available if you hate waiting for it to cook. Regular brown rice takes 45 miinutes to cook.

I only eat brown rice. I stopped eating white rice about 6 months ago - Unless im cooking a risotto...white rice is better for that....

Hmm. Im afraid I'll just end up subsituing too much rice with too much of something else - like pasta.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wilem008 Contributor
Quinoa is good, too. I use it as a substitute for couscous or orzo. It's more nutritious and tastes great!

Ive never used Quinoa - I have seen it in the supermarket though. What kinds of things do you use it for and how do you cook it?

I think im just going to have to be more organised...eg. Make a big pot of soup and a loaf of gluten-free bread on sunday and freeze it in portions for the week...I think i'll also start cooking more at dinner, so I can have left overs the next day!

Thanks for all your help everyone! :-)

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

Roasted veggies are delicious. There's something satisfying about them that seems more like a meal. Think outside the usual and roast broccoli, cauliflower, fennel, green beans, anything really. Hard squashes do very well. Sprinkle over a large handful of parsley chopped to brighten it up. We can get parsley here the year round.

AlexMartin Newbie

I'm also a big believer in soups. I would make it homemade because there is less of a chance of gluten and it just tastes better. I big batch can last a week. For the winter I would recommend anything with lentils. I also eat tons of salad. I would save the rice for the big meal of the day.

daphniela Explorer
I only eat brown rice. I stopped eating white rice about 6 months ago - Unless im cooking a risotto...white rice is better for that....

Hmm. Im afraid I'll just end up subsituing too much rice with too much of something else - like pasta.

I made a list of low calorie gluten free foods here:

www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=58044

CMG Rookie
Ive never used Quinoa - I have seen it in the supermarket though. What kinds of things do you use it for and how do you cook it?

I think im just going to have to be more organised...eg. Make a big pot of soup and a loaf of gluten-free bread on sunday and freeze it in portions for the week...I think i'll also start cooking more at dinner, so I can have left overs the next day!

Cooking quinoa is very similar to cooking rice. You should rinse it first, or it can be bitter. Then just simmer in either water or broth for about 15 minutes. Add any seasonings you like and you have a great side dish.

Sweetfudge Community Regular
I would suggest making vegetables the focus of each meal, or at least, adding them to each meal if you've not done so already. They are full of vitamins and nutrients, fiber, and they are low in carbs and calories. I'm not sure if you are a meat-eater, but eat protein with each meal/snack. This will keep you fuller longer, and if you work out/lift weights, you will need adequate amounts of protein to build and maintain muscle.

Do you eat eggs? There are many egg-based dishes, like quiche, that can be made to your liking with a variety of vegetables and meats. Also, tuna/chicken salad on lettuce or with veggies is delicious. (I scoop up the chicken salad with pieces of bell pepper.) You can also stuff a bell pepper with the salad mix and cook in the oven. Top this with a slice of cheese.

When I cook dinner, I make lots of extras, so I always have something to eat for lunch. A grilled chicken breast with veggies is usually my favorite lunch.

I like this idea about making veggies the focus. That's hard to do, but it's what I try and do.

I also make leftovers for lunches. very easy to get up and go the next day if it's all prepared the night before.

Soup! Soup is an awesome way to get warm filling food and keep the calories down. Its my winter go-to lunch food.

Soups are great! and easy! and cheap! Make your own stocks and that adds to the flavor without the additives and cost.

Quinoa is good. I don't like it plain though (like rice). Make sure you rinse it well before cooking, it tastes funny if you don't. I like it in soups (chicken and quinoa instead of chicken and rice). I also bake a lot with quinoa flour/quinoa flakes, which you can probably buy at the health food store. I make my own granola bars with quinoa flakes. Yum!

Organization is the key to eating healthier, especially for a meal that you're usually not eating at home. I enjoy cooking and baking, so I spend my Sundays in the kitchen. It makes the week go by much more smoothly when everything is prepared in advance!!

caligirl2001 Newbie

I like to make stuffed peppers with a mixture of quinoa and hamburger (or lean ground turkey) and whatever other veggies you would like to mix in. You can also melt a little cheese on top if you want. They reheat very well.

Archived