This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Symptoms Of Dairy Intolerance?

r0ckah0l1c

r0ckah0l1c Apprentice

I know I could just google this but I feel like it would be more useful to ask people who actually encounter these issues daily, what are the main symptoms of dairy intolerance? My uncle is lactose intolerance and I am starting to feel sick after drinking milk and sometimes I am unable to sleep when I drink milk or eat cheese. I don't know if this is due to the time of day that I am consuming these products or if they are really causing me issues. I have been on a gluten free diet for about 6 months and I wonder if it's just spring allergies causing me to react to dairy? Is that possible? Help is appreciated =) Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wilem008 Contributor

Hmm, I havent been officially diagnosed with a lactose problem but I avoid dairy anyway...I do allow myself a little bit of cheese and some sour cream (but I always end up regretting eating it!).

I only use Soy milk and have soy or lactose free yoghurt.

The reason I avoid these foods is because they make me feel sick. I get terrible stomach cramps and aches and I feel nauseated.

I think if you're feeling sick after consuming milk, then you should switch to soy, at least for a little while. You might not need to cut dairy completely but try cutting back...avoid drinking big cups of milk. eg...when I order a latte, its always soy. I know I cant comsume that much cow's milk at once.

Liveenjoylife Apprentice

Lactose intolerance is hereditary, I got mine from my aunt. My symptoms were vomiting, diarrhea, bloating, body chills. Basically I felt like I had the body flu for 2 weeks before I realized what it was. Some people get eczema, or rashes. I have been on soy milk for almost a year now and feel great. Soy milk has even improved my eye sight.

mushroom Proficient

I don't have problems with cheese but I do have problems with lactose--milk, cream, ice cream (but not butter strangely enough, although butter has had most of the lactose removed too in the whey). I get terrible stomaches and diarrhea from lactose, almost immediately after consumption. You could be having problems with casein. Try eating a little bit of butter and see how you react.

lizard00 Enthusiast

I react to dairy, too, but I believe it's the casein and not the lactose. I don't get GI discomfort associated with dairy products, but dairy products primarily give me headaches. I tried eating it again recently, and I thought it wasn't bothering me, but my headaches started back fiercely, compounded by the change of season. One day I was outside the whole day, and was fine, then I ate some dairy, and within an hour had a splitting headache. That was about all I needed to realize it wasn't just spring allergies.

BUFFY Newbie

I use to be able to tolerate skim milk but now I can't. I can eat cheese. I bought some activia so I'm going to try that.

BUFFY Newbie
I don't have problems with cheese but I do have problems with lactose--milk, cream, ice cream (but not butter strangely enough, although butter has had most of the lactose removed too in the whey). I get terrible stomaches and diarrhea from lactose, almost immediately after consumption. You could be having problems with casein. Try eating a little bit of butter and see how you react.

I get the stomach cramps and bloating and lots of gas.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
SLB5757 Enthusiast

I am not 100% sure what symptoms you would have if you had a dairy intolerance. I am fairly certain that I am lactose intolerant, so I am avoiding it as best as I can. I will cheat every now and then and consume ice-cream or cheese - but I always pay for it later. My reactions will vary depending on the amount that I consume. If I were to have fettucine alfredo (gluten-free), and ice-cream I would be running to the bathroom shortly afterwards. If I have a little sprinkled cheese on my rice or pasta I will get gas/sharp left sided pain due to the gas build-up. That will occur anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours after eating the cheese and duration varies as well. If I have a coffee in the morning that has half and half in it - and I haven't eaten any food yet - I will inevitably start burping, get very nauseus, and then most likely get diarreah. having food with the lactose seems to lessen it although it is still a pain to deal with. If I have ice-cream and no other dairy in the evening, I wake up the next morning with diah. I have had this my whole life, and have two lactose intol. children - so I know the symptoms all too well. I also know it varies with everyone as far as their level of severity. They do have lactose enzyme pills such as lactaid or dairyease but those always seem to upset my tummy. I use lactaid fat free milk (lactaid 100 - purple container), and just try to limit the cheese intake or make sure I am eating protein and other whole foods WITH the dairy I consume. It's just trial and error. I was told the best way to tell if you have lactose intol is to do a challenge at home. I haven't tried it bc I don't feel a need to confirm it - but you could google it. I think you fast for maybe 12 hours then consume a whole glass of milk on an empty stomach (may be two...u'll have to research a little). If you get all of the symptoms - you are most likely intol. I would never intentionally make myself that sick - so I am not up for taking that challenge.

purplelion Newbie
I get the stomach cramps and bloating and lots of gas.

Hi Buffy,

The problem with the bloating and gas is that it puts too much pressure on the muscular wall of the upper left side of the bowel. The pressure puts such force on the muscular wall that is breaks through causing pockets , = 'Diverticular Disease' which you then have for the rest of your life. This also causes pain, nausa, vomiting,diarrhea and a whole heap of symptoms, especially when it get's infected. It gets better and better all the time, doesn't it !!!!

You have to get the bloating and gas under control. Find out what is causing it and get that out of your diet. Mine is lactose, casine , soy milk, legumes, and the cabbage family.

Good Luck,

We all need that :-)

purplelion

Archived