Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi, I have a quite large amount of the symptoms of celiac disease, but I don't want to go to the doctor unless there could be a real chance I have it (they think I'm a hypochondriac because during my teen years I had asthma problems which they told me I was faking/not taking my drugs - until I was sent to hospital and those doctors found out I DID have something very wrong with my lungs).

The syptoms I have are very bad stomach pains (usually after I eat - sometimes its so bad I won't eat for a day, at the end of which I feel a lot better). I flit from having constipation, then diarrhea, and bloat. I feel very tired a lot of the time (not related to the days I can't eat!), and get mouth ulcers very regularly.

I know that there are diabetes and thyroid problems in my family (diabetes is more distant, my mother has thyroid problems, also her father died of bowel cancer at a young age, along with his sister.), along with other autoimmune diseases - asthma which is very common in my family.

Am I being a hypochondriac?

I'm thinking of having a trial gluten-free diet, to see how I feel. What do you think with the symptoms?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi, I have a quite large amount of the symptoms of celiac disease, but I don't want to go to the doctor unless there could be a real chance I have it (they think I'm a hypochondriac because during my teen years I had asthma problems which they told me I was faking/not taking my drugs - until I was sent to hospital and those doctors found out I DID have something very wrong with my lungs).

The syptoms I have are very bad stomach pains (usually after I eat - sometimes its so bad I won't eat for a day, at the end of which I feel a lot better). I flit from having constipation, then diarrhea, and bloat. I feel very tired a lot of the time (not related to the days I can't eat!), and get mouth ulcers very regularly.

I know that there are diabetes and thyroid problems in my family (diabetes is more distant, my mother has thyroid problems, also her father died of bowel cancer at a young age, along with his sister.), along with other autoimmune diseases - asthma which is very common in my family.

Am I being a hypochondriac?

I'm thinking of having a trial gluten-free diet, to see how I feel. What do you think with the symptoms?

You have alot going on there through genetics. I can't tell you if it is celiac disease or any thing else. Only a prof. like a doctor can tell you that. And that would have to be done through tests. Sorry I can't be of more help though.

You probably ought to just suck it up and ask the doctors to test you. If they're making you feel bad about looking after your health, they're not good doctors, and you should try to find another doctor, if you can. I think a lot of us understand what it's like to be accused of hypochondria, or to think others suspect us of it, but it's better to know than not to know.

In my experience anyone who finds any relief of their symptoms by going on a gluten free diet doesn't want to start eating gluten again to get an official diagnosis. Without being "properly" diagnosed you are potentially opening yourself up to being called a hypochondriac again.

I agree that any health professional who is using shaming tactics like calling you a hypochondriac is not one that I would trust, and if I were in your position I would find a doctor who takes you seriously and is willing to have you tested.

In my experiance being a hypochondriac was my main symptom. My mom and doctor and dad and ex-husband, boyfriend and adult kid all thought I was one. I though I was one. Now they all sing a different tune. I do also.

I am no longer a hypochondriac.