This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Confusion Now Over.

Bethe444

Bethe444 Newbie

Recently I posted regarding genetic testing results, which the nurse at my docs office said were negative. I went to the doctor today so he could explain the results, and I'm glad I did. The genetic tests were never done. It seems to be that here in Michigan -- atleast the part I live in (Suburbs) they do not have access to the test. I would love to have it done, but Im not sure if insurance would cover it -- I probobly should for my family. The funny thing is that when we went over the tests today. He said I did not test positive for sprue. However, in early April the Sprue, Iga, Igg -gliadin panel was high (ofcourse when I was not gluten free). The tests he read today were taken a month later -- gluten free. So now I know - especially being B12 anemic and feeling much better staying away from gluten. I just wanted to share, and if anyone has any idea on how I can get the genetic testing (at a reasonable cost -- not sure if my insurance covers it) I would love to know.

I'm just very thankful that I finally know that I'm not crazy and know what to avoid --- I will miss real chocolate cake though! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient
Recently I posted regarding genetic testing results, which the nurse at my docs office said were negative. I went to the doctor today so he could explain the results, and I'm glad I did. The genetic tests were never done. It seems to be that here in Michigan -- atleast the part I live in (Suburbs) they do not have access to the test. I would love to have it done, but Im not sure if insurance would cover it -- I probobly should for my family. The funny thing is that when we went over the tests today. He said I did not test positive for sprue. However, in early April the Sprue, Iga, Igg -gliadin panel was high (ofcourse when I was not gluten free). The tests he read today were taken a month later -- gluten free. So now I know - especially being B12 anemic and feeling much better staying away from gluten. I just wanted to share, and if anyone has any idea on how I can get the genetic testing (at a reasonable cost -- not sure if my insurance covers it) I would love to know.

I'm just very thankful that I finally know that I'm not crazy and know what to avoid --- I will miss real chocolate cake though! :D

That nurse!!! Of course test results are negative if the tests are never done in the first place.

I'm glad the gluten free diet is having such a positive response for you. Hope your B12 goes up too--your are taking it, right?? You will feel so much better I am sure.

Bethe444 Newbie
That nurse!!! Of course test results are negative if the tests are never done in the first place.

I'm glad the gluten free diet is having such a positive response for you. Hope your B12 goes up too--your are taking it, right?? You will feel so much better I am sure.

Yes, I had my second B12 shot today. I'm waiting for it to kick in, I felt pretty good for the first 2 weeks with the last one. I'm now really addicted to the shot.... I can't remember feeling good like that.

mushroom Proficient
Yes, I had my second B12 shot today. I'm waiting for it to kick in, I felt pretty good for the first 2 weeks with the last one. I'm now really addicted to the shot.... I can't remember feeling good like that.

Yeah, it really does give you a burst/boost. I had three of them and that's all it took to get me to overflowing. Now I am only to have them every three months. :o

lizard00 Enthusiast

I'm sorry, but I'm confused as to why you can't get the test done. My labs were sent to California or somewhere on the west coast to Promethues labs for testing. I'm not sure if a lab around here does them, but my doc just uses Prometheus as his standard for celiac testing.

You could look into Enterolab for genetic testing.

I'm glad you're feeling better with the B12 though! That's some great stuff. :)

happygirl Collaborator

Your doctor can order, he's just not.

You can use Kimball Genetics, which is used by the University of Chicago's Celiac Center.

Open Original Shared Link

Ask your doctor if he'd be willing to use them.

Archived