This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is This Because Of Celiac?

raegansmom

raegansmom Newbie

I writting instead of pulling out my hair!LOL! My middle child who has been gluten free for well over a year now was recently given gluten by a friend. Although it was a very small amount and a true acident we are dealing with the results. We deal with all the intestinal issues and for my kids I can know that within 2 days they will have some sort of sickness( this time just bad colds!) But my main concern is what it does to her behavior. She is a busy little girl and does tend to seek out miscief but mostly just typical kids stuff until an exposure. She gets to where she looks for trouble. She can be violent (she is normally a sweet girl) and cannot seem to control anything she does (repeated obsesive behavior). People have described her as pinging off the walls. I can also notice a toungue movement that last while the out of control behavior does. I wanted some insight as to how typical this is and any sugestions- as disapline seems pointless and sometimes even mean. I know the best thing would be no exposure but life seems to happen. Thanks for any insight.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

swalker Newbie

The behaviour problems from exposure are very typical, in our experience. We use distraction as much as possible if he's exposed to an allergen that affects his behaviour. If it's close to bedtime we go to bed and listen to kids meditation compact discs or have a bubble bath with lots of toys and if it's early we go outside and play stimulating things like tag or ride bikes.

We've started telling him that he's having trouble controlling himself because he ate an allergen, it won't last forever but he's got to do what he can to control himself while it lasts so he doesn't take it personally and feel like he's bad.

GFGrandmaBNC Newbie
The behaviour problems from exposure are very typical, in our experience. We use distraction as much as possible if he's exposed to an allergen that affects his behaviour. If it's close to bedtime we go to bed and listen to kids meditation compact discs or have a bubble bath with lots of toys and if it's early we go outside and play stimulating things like tag or ride bikes.

We've started telling him that he's having trouble controlling himself because he ate an allergen, it won't last forever but he's got to do what he can to control himself while it lasts so he doesn't take it personally and feel like he's bad.

I love your answer - it really is not their fault if they have been accidentally "glutened" - I know that sometimes my behaviour can be less than stellar when I have been "glutened" and I know better. Just seems like the brain connections are not there. Sometimes I will say totally unintelligible things when reacting to an episode.

A friend of mine wrote a column on how he became totally incapable of remembering anything before he realized it was gluten that was impacting his ability to think/remember.

swalker Newbie

Once you're aware of the fact that gluten is an issue for you and you watch for reactions it's facinating.

When I eat gluten (even one cookie) I spend the next three days feeling sorry for myself on the couch. Everything annoys me and nothing seems worth the trouble. Day four I'm fine again. My daughter has PMS symptoms with rage attacks and loses her memory and spelling ability, Dad loses spelling and number memory and grandson alternates between rage and zoning out.

I wish my entire extended family would listen and remove it from their diets. The lot of them have chronic health issues in addition to compulsive behaviour and depression problems.

Archived